• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Further thoughts on the Emira from Chris Harris

chris-harris-emira.png

Chris Harris chats to Top Gear Magazine’s Jack Rix about the all-new Lotus Emira, comparing it to rivals such as the Porsche Cayman. Plus, Chris talks about his first-ever experiences with Geely, the Chinese car giant that acquired Lotus back in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I don't get about Jethro B.'s review...he says the drivetrain doesn't cut it for 2022...well obviously! This is not a new car platform or model for many decades ahead. It's the last ICE for the brand. Why would they go bankrupt developing a 2020s technology if the 2010s works fine for most likely buyers of a short production run ? Plus in some occasions 2010s has a charisma that 2020s don't...I'd take my E46 engine over my F80s any day despite being underpowered.
Exactly. The Emira isn't the beginning of a new era in ICE cars for Lotus, it's the end; their last car. I'm honestly surprised they even made it, considering the investment necessary and the short life it has to have. Lotus could have simply gone right into electric cars, but fortunately the top people at Lotus are enthusiasts, and wanted to make one final, beautiful ICE sports car as their way of saying thanks for the memories. I'm so thankful that I'm in a position to be able to get one, and put my deposit in early enough. My first car was a little 1964 Triumph Spitfire sports car, because that was all I could afford. I really wanted a Lotus Elan but just couldn't afford one. It's a wonderful serendipity that my last car will be a sports car, and it will be a 2023 Lotus.

Can someone explain what’s so tired and old about the 2GR-FE Toyota engine? Just because it was designed a long time ago doesn’t mean it isn’t technically good. There aren’t too many miracles in ICE engines these days. Nothing old about dual cam, VVTi, forged crank with counterweights and forged conrods, lightweight open deck design etc.

I’d also much rather port injection than direct injection. No worries about carbon built-up on intake valves. Valves also run cooler so last longer. Less headaches.

So what’s so technologically special about Porsches 4L boxer in the GT4 that makes it an engine that’s ‘on another planet’? That it redlines at 8k, had conrod issues from the outset and needs an engine rebuild every 100,000kms? Or the corresponding manual box that had its 3rd gear fail as they went cheap and welded it to the shaft and not installed on a spline? Or the unreliable PDK?

Will take that old and reliable Camry engine and industrial grade manual box thanks!

Can someone explain what’s so tired and old about the 2GR-FE Toyota engine? Just because it was designed a long time ago doesn’t mean it isn’t technically good. There aren’t too many miracles in ICE engines these days. Nothing old about dual cam, VVTi, forged crank with counterweights and forged conrods, lightweight open deck design etc.

I’d also much rather port injection than direct injection. No worries about carbon built-up on intake valves. Valves also run cooler so last longer. Less headaches.

So what’s so technologically special about Porsches 4L boxer in the GT4 that makes it an engine that’s ‘on another planet’? That it redlines at 8k, had conrod issues from the outset and needs an engine rebuild every 100,000kms? Or the corresponding manual box that had its 3rd gear fail as they went cheap and welded it to the shaft and not installed on a spline? Or the unreliable PDK?

Will take that old and reliable Camry engine and industrial grade manual box thanks!
You would say that, I bet you drive a OHV V8 Holden ;)

Lol... good point. I suppose efficiency improves over time, but I agree that the 2GR-FE is a great solid engine. IIRC, Lotus simply fits the Edelbrock chargecooled supercharger, larger injectors, custom intake/exhaust, and flashes their tune, right? Everything else is OEM Toyota 2GR-FE, right?

These engine can be built to some pretty high HP, but I think it's the manual transmission that starts to fail around 500HP. Does anyone happen to know the highest HP 2GR-FE in a Lotus? I remember reading something about a twin turbo 800HP build with stock bottom end.

BMW made a 4 litre V8 with 414bhp that revved to 8500 rpm back in 2007, I know as I have the last iteration and it’s a screamer but… my power is up on top of the rev band.The GTS engine isn’t that remarkable it’s power is all up top and not useful for day-day driving but yet it isn’t mentioned on reviews..
A supercharged engine is the best of both worlds for throttle response and low down pull. I’m eager to try this tired old Toyota engine 😀

I had that engine in my E92 M3. Amazing.

Somewhat nervous about the emira engine but I’ll just play loud music if the engine doesn’t sound sweet!

I had that engine in my E92 M3. Amazing.

Somewhat nervous about the emira engine but I’ll just play loud music if the engine doesn’t sound sweet!
I would advise listening to some of the clips from Goodwood - it sounds great