• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

GRP Short Shift Kit

oneflyguy325

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ever since I got the Emira, one of my peeves has been with the shifter feel. I had previously test-driven the press vehicles that Lotus brought over and toured through the country, and I do recall the press cars also feeling as if they just slightly missed the mark. Though I brushed it off at the time, thinking that it was probably due to the fact that so many people test drive those cars, and were probably woefully used by folks that weren’t all that great at driving manuals. Coming from a highly modified supercharged Exige with one of the best shifter kits and adjustable cables that money can buy for the platform, my Emira simply felt lacking; especially for such an expensive new car.
So I decided to give the GRP short throw shifter kit a try. I just finished installing it myself in my own garage with minimal tools. Took me about 45 minutes or so, and I immediately went out for a test drive thereafter. For about $100, this little reinforcement device not only reduced the shifter throw, but also helped improve the directness of shifts into each gate. It now feels closer to that of a Honda S2K for those that have driven those before. Their shifter feel is like a benchmark among enthusiast sports cars, and there are often attempts to mimick the feel of the S2K shifter.
According to GRP website description for the product, this kit can shorten the shifter throw by between 45% and 60%. I left it at the 45% adjustment mark and feel like it's perfect for me. For those that are on the fence, I highly recommend getting a kit through GRP!
Thanks Greg Thiessen for the fast shipping on this kit (along with some other goodies
😎
)!
Edit: One other thing that bothered me with my Emira from the factory was that sometimes it has trouble going into Reverse gear. So far, with this GRP shifter reinforcer, I am finding Reverse much easier. I will be doing further testing to see how it performs as time goes on, but so far I'm extremely satisfied with the outcome, for only $100!

Curious to know how the shifter feels over time and if the shifting effort is significantly more or not.

My main issue with the shifter is the effort to move gears. It’s a lot more than expected. The throw precision and directness is very good on mine.

Mine feels pretty dang good after 6,000 miles. I feel like it took a while to smooth out and get where it is now. I’d be interested to see how the GRP feels but I don’t feel inclined to make any changes yet.

Curious to know how the shifter feels over time and if the shifting effort is significantly more or not.

My main issue with the shifter is the effort to move gears. It’s a lot more than expected. The throw precision and directness is very good on mine.
It does require a little bit more effort to enter each gate; but I feel that the tradeoff in directness and shorter throw is well worth it. But yes, time will tell.

Back