Hazard Lights Automatically Activate with hard braking

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not sure if all versions of the Emira do this, but I’ve found the hazard lights activate when hard braking and stay on (ADAS equipped, China model I4).

Has anyone else noticed this? Any way to disable it?

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Does the car think it crashed? Have your dealer reach out to Lotus for a definitive answer...
For what it's worth, I have not experienced this in my V6, but maybe I'm not braking hard enough???

OP
lynchy73

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Does the car think it crashed? Have your dealer reach out to Lotus for a definitive answer...
For what it's worth, I have not experienced this in my V6, but maybe I'm not braking hard enough???
No, I don’t think it’s detecting a crash, just some spirited driving, nothing too crazy:rolleyes: First time it happened I didn’t realise what was happening but after that the penny dropped (y) It requires some quite heavy braking to activate it, not overly sensitive.

I’ll see if my Lotus contact has an answer. Actually it’s a useful feature that I’d activate most of the time, but you don’t need it on track.

OP
lynchy73

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Are you sure it's not the brake lights flashing?
Yes, 100,000% certain. The hazards flash in the dash and I need to press the hazard button to cancel it, only after hard braking.

Happened a few times so far. First time it didn’t click what had happened, thought I maybe knocked hazard button.

My car has ADAS, I suspect cars without full ADAS wouldn’t have this feature/function.

kennyn

Reaction score
Indicators flashing under heavy braking is normal in most cars these days. It's promoted as a safety feature to warn vehicles behind that you are braking heavily. It normally self-cancels when you drive away.

OP
lynchy73

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Happened to me once in the US once under moderate braking. V6 Manual, in the US.
Thanks for confirming that (y)

I’m trying to find out if there is a way to disable it ( obviously not for regular driving, where it’s very useful) or if it’s disabled in track mode.

Indicators flashing under heavy braking is normal in most cars these days. It's promoted as a safety feature to warn vehicles behind that you are braking heavily. It normally self-cancels when you drive away.
Absolutely, it’s a worthwhile safety feature, which I want, but it doesn’t seem to cancel automatically. It seems you have to press the hazard button (after you’ve noticed they’re on). Not a major issue, just curious if others have noticed it.

_w_

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
UK V6 manual, never had hazards come on automatically. Hard braking on the road and track has had the brake lights flashing instead.

I have driven cars with the auto hazard feature but it always self cancels too, manual cancelling seems wrong (or at least that it should be configurable).

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Only got flashing brake lights on track (Sport Mode), no hazards. Manual 2022 V6 FE

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Not sure if all versions of the Emira do this, but I’ve found the hazard lights activate when hard braking and stay on (ADAS equipped, China model I4).

Has anyone else noticed this? Any way to disable it?
Mine come on with hard braking but go off automatically when you drive away… (non-ADAS UK v6 manual)

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I actually think this feature could be very useful.

I’ve always thought Mexico drivers have it right when they put on their hazards for things in the road like speed bumps and hard braking… they are absolutely nuts in all other areas of driving, but the hazard lights are something I’ve tried to adopt while driving here.

There are SOOO many deer where I live, so when one (or three or four) crosses the road in front of me I slam the brakes, and turn my hazards on for people behind me to be aware and cautious. Most of the time people stop behind me even on a two lane road (because they have some sense), but sometimes people drive AROUND me and almost hit the damned deer themselves.

OP
lynchy73

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mine come on with hard braking but go off automatically when you drive away… (non-ADAS UK v6 manual)

I didn’t come to a complete stop, so that may possibly be why the hazards didn’t cancel.

OP
lynchy73

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I actually think this feature could be very useful.

I’ve always thought Mexico drivers have it right when they put on their hazards for things in the road like speed bumps and hard braking… they are absolutely nuts in all other areas of driving, but the hazard lights are something I’ve tried to adopt while driving here.

There are SOOO many deer where I live, so when one (or three or four) crosses the road in front of me I slam the brakes, and turn my hazards on for people behind me to be aware and cautious. Most of the time people stop behind me even on a two lane road (because they have some sense), but sometimes people drive AROUND me and almost hit the fucking deer themselves.
Agreed 100% it is useful. My only small gripe is that it can come on with spirited driving or on track (if I ever get the chance). It would be nice to have the option or know what to do in order to avoid the hazards activating, on those occasions where I might be moving along…

I do the same (hit the hazards). There are a lot of shit drivers, that like to drive way too close where I reside… As soon as I need to do any sort of moderate braking on the highway, I hit the hazards and am checking the rear view for an idiot. The hazards register better than just brake lights with other drivers IMO (idiots tend to back off a bit too).

Last edited:

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Many (most?) modern cars in the last 6-8 years will turn on the hazards if you ABS to a stop. My 2018 daily driver sedan does. I haven't heard of them activating prior to being fully stopped however, maybe overly sensitive or improperly calibrated ADAS?

I also know many OEM's rapidly flash the brake lights when braking beyond a certain threshold, but that's separate from full-on hazard lights.