Head Light On dash light always ON ?

Jjrho

Emira Fan
Reaction score
hi, just got my emira.... i noticed that the Green Light ON light on dash is ALWAYS ON , regardless of whether the headlight or parking light is ON or OFF....is that normal ? if so, what is the utility of this light? does it go blink or out if some bulb is out ?!? it doesn't bother me much but....i 'd like to know if there is a function to this dash light....

james R
hethel yellow

so. california

hi, just got my emira.... i noticed that the Green Light ON light on dash is ALWAYS ON , regardless of whether the headlight or parking light is ON or OFF....is that normal ? if so, what is the utility of this light? does it go blink or out if some bulb is out ?!? it doesn't bother me much but....i 'd like to know if there is a function to this dash light....

james R
hethel yellow

so. california
I believe it’s when headlights are set to auto.

IMG_4925.png

The way I read the manual the DRL cannot be turned off unfortunately . I wish they could.

well, i was referring to the green head light SYMBOL on the dash board....it's ON regardless of whether my headlights are ON or OFF or on auto, ...it seems like the light is ON when the ignition is on...i mean, it serves no purpose.....it does NOT tell me whether the head light is ON or off...it's ALWAYS on , regardless of head light condition....
may be im looking at a wrong green sign but to me, it looks like a head light indicator....

james R

well, i was referring to the green head light SYMBOL on the dash board....it's ON regardless of whether my headlights are ON or OFF or on auto, ...it seems like the light is ON when the ignition is on...i mean, it serves no purpose.....it does NOT tell me whether the head light is ON or off...it's ALWAYS on , regardless of head light condition....
may be im looking at a wrong green sign but to me, it looks like a head light indicator....

james R
That’s not the headlight symbol. It’s always on indicating your DRLs are on. Doesn’t appear to be a way to deactivate the DRLs. At least the DRLs aren’t horrible looking.

My car does the same, only ever shows DRL rather than low beams or auto despite the position of the stalk. Pretty sure all of the Emiras I have driven are the same, so some form of software issue.

Yes, all cars like that. No, I don’t think that’s how it should be, but that’s the least of my concerns. The lights work and no one got a puddle of water in them yet - that’s a win everybody 😂

Yes, all cars like that. No, I don’t think that’s how it should be, but that’s the least of my concerns. The lights work and no one got a puddle of water in them yet - that’s a win everybody 😂

It isn't just an Emira thing, my Volvo XC60 (which of course is also Geely) works in the same way.

It isn't just an Emira thing, my Volvo XC60 (which of course is also Geely) works in the same way.
Pretty sure my rental XC showed low beams as active when active in auto mode

I agree with Jjrho, it's odd (not to say Stupid) to have that green display always on regardless of the type of lighting selected. They just as well should have not placed any warning display at all. The conventional purpose in most cars for such a warning display, is to remind the driver that certain lights are on. Green for normal driving lights, and Blue for high beams. Lotus, Volvo and Geely are definitely not conventional in their thinking.

This is another example of how software coding could change how this works. If you could enable turning off the DRL's this light would only illuminate when you had the headlights on. I'd bet there is a software switch to enable turning off the DRL's.

We don't have the volume of cars to support a vendor developing this, but a Bimmercode type of app would allow you to make these and many other types of changes.

I like the DRL's. The problem that OP is describing is you have no idea when the low beam headlights turn on because the dash indication doesn't change between DRL's and low beams. There shouldn't be a 24/7 indication that is the exact same for two different headlight settings, as it completely defeats the purpose of the indication to begin with. There should be an additional green low beam indicatior that turns on when the low beams do, like virtually every other car.

The only way to know for sure if your low beams are on at dusk is to use manual lights the old fashioned way. Small inconvenience but such a silly oversight it makes you wonder what else they missed.

DRLs in Europe, or at least the EU are mandatory. Running a car without them on, is a traffic offence, similar to not having headlights on at night.
I would not be surprised, if a bulb blows, the green light on the dash goes out, or changes colour.
It would be nice to have another dashboard light, to inform you when headlights come on

DRLs in Europe, or at least the EU are mandatory. Running a car without them on, is a traffic offence
Wrong. Since 2011 all new cars being typified for EU need to have DRLs fitted, but not every country has a law dictating to use them.

Just to inform regarding current US traffic laws:

"No states require daytime running lights. Still, there are some that have expectations for headlight use during the day: Illinois, Maryland and Missouri require daytime headlights if wipers are in use. Georgia requires them when it is raining or there's limited visibility.Mar 15, 2023" (from internet search).
What's kind of interesting is that despite this, essentially all automakers began installing and selling cars with daylight running lights since 1995. That's nearly 30 years ago, and US States have still to enact a traffic mandate to use them. Coincidentally, unlike the Emira's case, most automakers include the option of turning the daytime running lights off.

For further clarity sake, I have nothing against the use of daytime lights and its "constant on" feature
in the Emira doesn't particularly bother me. It's just the issue of the supposedly "warning green icon light" staying constantly on regardless of the lighting selection (as stated in Jjrho's initial thread post) that I find to be quirky.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back