• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Heat dissipation from engine bay

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Comparing the engine venting on the Emira to other rear-engined supercars, I’m wondering how effective the heat removal will be. Particularly if we’re not driving fast (so not a lot of intake); the temperature is 40 degrees Celsius (common in Oz); and the air conditioner is going full pelt (is it in the engine bay?).

My SW20 MR2 lid above the engine used to *cook* on hot days (vented metal). And it was only an atmo four…

8721DBB1-017C-44F0-80CE-0E6CBB4FE570.jpeg

I was smoking a brisket yesterday in my Weber kettle grill and the whole time I was watching the dual temp read out of the cook and the grill temp, I thought of this thread. When I get my Emira I am going to put my wireless grill thermometer in the trunk and watch the curve on my phone. This curiosity must be satisfied.
Mounted engine oil-, IPS- and compressor cooling temperature meters in my '21 Evora GT 410 Sport IPS.......
At constant 70-80 mph typically indicating 80, 60 and 30 degr. C.
IMG_20210507_234917.jpg
IMG_20210507_234415.jpg

Actually I've been thinking about this as well. I'm thinking about putting heat reflective foil on the outside of the trunk facing the engine, and on the bottom above the mufflers, if it's possible to get access to those areas. The stuff racing teams use in their engine bays reflects 95% of the heat away. I would like to shield the casing around the battery too. That would keep the trunk and battery area temperatures to whatever the normal ambient is.
Zircoflex ceramic heat shield works well and available as adhesive backed sheets for easy application to flat surfaces.

Zircoflex ceramic heat shield works well and available as adhesive backed sheets for easy application to flat surfaces.

Thanks! I've also been looking at Koolmat which is here in the U.S. They're both similar in what they do.