• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

How many of you plan on tracking your Emira's??

It'll be fun fine tuning the Emira into a trackable car -- hopefully it will pass the sound station under WOT at Laguna or I'll have to get creative again with a CAN bus system to quiet the exhaust around certain GPS range of the sound station.

1658772567280.png

It'll be fun fine tuning the Emira into a trackable car -- hopefully it will pass the sound station under WOT at Laguna or I'll have to get creative again with a CAN bus system to quiet the exhaust around certain GPS range of the sound station.

View attachment 7718
Please let me know how you do this.

We are so lucky to have Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Sonoma and Buttonwillow nearby. I plan on 6-10 track days. Not all will be Emira- several will be in an M2 CS manual which is a track beast.

The Emira is just perfect though for Rt 9,84, Mines/Mt. Hamilton, and some of the Marin got spots.

Can't wait!

Please let me know how you do this.

We are so lucky to have Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Sonoma and Buttonwillow nearby. I plan on 6-10 track days. Not all will be Emira- several will be in an M2 CS manual which is a track beast.

The Emira is just perfect though for Rt 9,84, Mines/Mt. Hamilton, and some of the Marin got spots.

Can't wait!

Yeah it’s nice being so close to so many tracks!

If you’re inquiring how I do the exhaust flap manipulation, I do it all with an obd2 pluggable device. It’s a programmable Arduino device with a serial CAN bus module that can receive and transmit to the bus. It also has a GPS chipset and an antenna I added. Put it all together and write some code and it constantly polls the GPS location at 1 second intervals, if it detects its within the radius of the Laguna sound station, it sends the CAN packet to close the exhaust valves and then reopens them when you leave the area.

Wow, that's an ingenious solution. My Evora has 3rd cat delete, it's fine on static noise but can be an issue on drive-by. I just short shift going past the noise meter if the track is having a lower-limit day.

Reactions: MCS
Yeah it’s nice being so close to so many tracks!

If you’re inquiring how I do the exhaust flap manipulation, I do it all with an obd2 pluggable device. It’s a programmable Arduino device with a serial CAN bus module that can receive and transmit to the bus. It also has a GPS chipset and an antenna I added. Put it all together and write some code and it constantly polls the GPS location at 1 second intervals, if it detects its within the radius of the Laguna sound station, it sends the CAN packet to close the exhaust valves and then reopens them when you leave the area.
Let's talk offline about this. So cool

Wow, that's an ingenious solution. My Evora has 3rd cat delete, it's fine on static noise but can be an issue on drive-by. I just short shift going past the noise meter if the track is having a lower-limit day.
I should be able to get one working for the Emira hopefully -- once I get an Emira of course. I believe the 2GR valve system on the Evora and Emira will be vacuum based but still controlled somehow via CAN bus. Hoping to do some sniffing with the Emira CAN system that way I can also identify all the CAN IDs for motorsport datalogging equipment.

Pics of the arduinos device I made for the F82.

1659388739550.png

1659388756228.png

Um.

I think it might be more complicated than the Evora.

That has a simple open/closed vacuum valve but the Emira has a more complicated, continuously variable, electrically operated valve.

Um.

That has a simple open/closed vacuum valve but the Emira has a more complicated, continuously variable, electrically operated valve.

If it's just electronically operated that might make it simpler for me as likely the position in which it's open to is just a range of values that correspond to how open or closed it is. The problem will be with sending enough of these packets to override whatever the ECU or other system may be controlling the valve is sending -- I'm guessing the valves are fully open after a specific RPM which won't really matter when passing a sound station as you'll be unlikely to be under 2000rpm or whatever cruising RPM is.

If it's just electronically operated that might make it simpler for me as likely the position in which it's open to is just a range of values that correspond to how open or closed it is. The problem will be with sending enough of these packets to override whatever the ECU or other system may be controlling the valve is sending -- I'm guessing the valves are fully open after a specific RPM which won't really matter when passing a sound station as you'll be unlikely to be under 2000rpm or whatever cruising RPM is.
KitKat, that is a wild setup! I wonder if something is available for the 6th gen camaro. It definitely won’t pass sound!

I plan to track the Emira too but the camaro will likely be my go to track car. It’s just so Much easier to get parts and service if something were to go wrong. It’s fun as hell too!

KitKat, that is a wild setup! I wonder if something is available for the 6th gen camaro. It definitely won’t pass sound!

I plan to track the Emira too but the camaro will likely be my go to track car. It’s just so Much easier to get parts and service if something were to go wrong. It’s fun as hell too!

Sound checks are such a pain :)

From my initial searches, 6th gen Camaro also has valves controlled via CAN bus, which means it’s possible but I haven’t seen anyone do it for your car. To be perfectly honest, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else even attempt or achieve this on any other car. I’ve seen some 911 GT3s hardwire an Arduino / Raspberry Pi to a relay for their vacuum system — but not via CAN.

Unfortunately CAN hacking is super time consuming. Your car is constantly just sending a massive amount of data around on the CAN bus all the time. Identifying the CAN message IDs specific to your car and the correct byte values to send that instructs one or more valves to open or close took me 10+ hours of work for my BMW M4.

Sound checks are such a pain :)

From my initial searches, 6th gen Camaro also has valves controlled via CAN bus, which means it’s possible but I haven’t seen anyone do it for your car. To be perfectly honest, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else even attempt or achieve this on any other car. I’ve seen some 911 GT3s hardwire an Arduino / Raspberry Pi to a relay for their vacuum system — but not via CAN.

Unfortunately CAN hacking is super time consuming. Your car is constantly just sending a massive amount of data around on the CAN bus all the time. Identifying the CAN message IDs specific to your car and the correct byte values to send that instructs one or more valves to open or close took me 10+ hours of work for my BMW M4.
Wow! That is time consuming. Maybe I’ll just get Laguna pipes and call it a day.

I have a 460 HP Evora 400 with a lot of mods that I currently track, I will continue to track it.

I don't plan to track my Emira until I am sure it is the last Emira I will own. I'm hoping there is a higher trim manual in the works. I will trade up if I can and when that is no longer an option, its mod time.

Um.

Simple direct control is better.