• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

I4 (AMG-2.0 Turbo) DCT gearbox software update from LOTUS - mid August 2024

There is a software update that seems to have been released by Lotus for the gear shifting algorithm of the Emira AMG-2.0 Turbo. This may improve the perceived delays when using the flappy pedals, and it is said to even improve going from forward motion into reverse. It will be interesting to hear from owners, that gets this installed, about the extent and subjective feel of this update.

There is a software update
This is big news! How did you hear about it? You seem to be the first person to find out. I would be beating down the door at my local dealer for this one. And maybe with a complimentary 400bhp map? :sneaky:

There is a software update that seems to have been released by Lotus for the gear shifting algorithm of the Emira AMG-2.0 Turbo. This may improve the perceived delays when using the flappy pedals, and it is said to even improve going from forward motion into reverse. It will be interesting to hear from owners, that gets this installed, about the extent and subjective feel of this update.
Whilst I'm more than happy with the actual shifting, if this update takes away the need to always go back and forth via neutral, this will be a real step forward. Great news !

We got an engine control module update on the I4 in China circa 2 to 3 months ago. Not sure if this new update is what we got, or something new.

This new update could well be new, as my car was manufactured September 23, delivered December 23 and cars being delivered in other markets will have been produced later.

Definitely big news…. Keep us posted!

I rang Bell and Colvill about the update. They weren't aware of anything breaking that addresses shift times. Maybe more will emerge next week.

With the dealer 2h away mine will likely not get any updates until March unless a major issue arises that forces the car to go in as I've got no issues with how the car shifts currently. An update to the shifting algorithm says to me this would be more around updating how the gearbox predicts the next gear rather than changing any actual shift speed

Whilst I'm more than happy with the actual shifting, if this update takes away the need to always go back and forth via neutral, this will be a real step forward. Great news !

I doubt any change will remove the need to go via neutral every time as otherwise there would be no straightforward way to put the car into neutral. This behaviour comes from the physical nature of the drive selector where there is only one stop in each direction. The selector in my XC60 for example works differently with an additional soft stop in each direction that selects neutral when you use a more gentle movement but you usually just pull/push past when selecting D/R. They may be able to make the operation more reliable however and reduce/remove the instances where three or more inputs are required to complete.

And maybe with a complimentary 400bhp map? :sneaky:

So I haven't really been following lately, but with the US and Chinese i4's being 400bhp, is there any chance of such a remap for the EU models to actually happen officially? And would it void warranty? And if not officially, can we just install a US ECU or something?

Or is there an actual difference between the cars?

So I haven't really been following lately, but with the US and Chinese i4's being 400bhp, is there any chance of such a remap for the EU models to actually happen officially? And would it void warranty? And if not officially, can we just install a US ECU or something?

Or is there an actual difference between the cars?
As far as I know, it's a different engine code... so we can't be sure that the mechanicals are all exactly the same. It *may* just be a software difference, but technically, they can be mechanically different. I would generally believe that Lotus won't officially release a 400HP update to the "K" engines. Tuners may be able to better determine this. If the engines are otherwise the same, you would see them release a tune, such as 450HP that is applicable to both 360 and 400HP variants.

As far as I know, it's a different engine code... so we can't be sure that the mechanicals are all exactly the same. It *may* just be a software difference, but technically, they can be mechanically different. I would generally believe that Lotus won't officially release a 400HP update to the "K" engines. Tuners may be able to better determine this. If the engines are otherwise the same, you would see them release a tune, such as 450HP that is applicable to both 360 and 400HP variants.

That does not sound promising. I feel this is a big drawback to an EU i4. Even if it is "fast enough" it can't help but feel neutered.

When I took the factory tour this past February, the tour guide said all the hardwares are the same, just a simple ecu remap for different trim.

Sounds exciting about improved gear selection. Even if it must means I can get into reverse on first try every time I’d be happy 😆

Is this ‘go to the dealership and have it installed’ kinda thing?

Conincidently I spoke to the Kent dealership early today about the 400bhp map for the i4… they seemed to know nothing about it and said “‘maybe a US measurement of 400bhp is the same as a UK measurement of 360bhp… “🙄

they seemed to know nothing about it
Never ceases to amaze me how poorly informed dealerships and customer support seem to be on these matters. They should get on here for their intel.

Never ceases to amaze me how poorly informed dealerships and customer support seem to be on these matters. They should get on here for their intel.
They do.
If you know, you know.
Just wait - one of them will quote you in answer to your question.
But it sounds much more reassuring coming from them.
#AnInformedSource