Intermittent delay when pressing start button to car actually starting

ttvetdoc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have about 2000 miles on my Emira and I was in the first batch of cars to reach NA. Over the last few days, I have noticed an intermittent delay when pressing the start button. Instead of the car firing right up, it takes 1-2 seconds after I press the button before the engine fires. I'm concerned this may indicate an impending issue as this has never happened in the first 2,000 miles. I'll try to pin it down to whether it is consistent hot vs. cold starts, but just curious is anyone else has experienced this?

I feel like mine has always waited 1-2 seconds and I've never had a failure to start.

Mine does it as well. Sometimes it starts immediately, sometimes I have all the time to buckle up.
I experienced it after the update recall. It does not bother me as long as it is starting.
Built Feb 2023, 14.000 km on the clock

Same, always been like that. You can actually hear fuel pump etc immediately after pressing the button.
If you go Ignition on (press 5s) and then press again it'll start "faster". There is really nothing wrong, just systems getting ready.

Great! Good to know that others have experienced this and it's not a concern. It's just unusual that it occured all of a sudden after 2,000 miles. Anyways, I won't worry about it given that it's still starting up after the delay.

Getting this now at 2700 miles. Anyone know what the senses the clutch pedal/ or clutch actual position? If it a sensor on the clutch itself, I am thinking the clutch may need to be bled. I do not have any other issues, but this slow start does seem to happen when the car is very warmed up.

Whatever delay you think you are experiencing, it's not related to the clutch pedal. There is no lock-out on the clutch. Try it yourself: Put it in gear, foot on the brake, start and be ready to bob. Obviously don't do this in front of a wall / car / your grandma / etc.

If you want to tinker with it anyway:
1720560307272.png

1720560330193.png

Hmm why does the clutch have a potentiometer? That is for picking up position. Seems stupid if you can engage the starter with the car in gear and clutch out.

I've also started experiencing this also at around the 2000mi mark. I never put my car in 1st when turning it off (I know I should) so when I start it back up I just press the brake and it still starts. It was weird for me too when I discovered it at around 200mi, but pressing the clutch isn't necessary when starting the car up so that's what I've done since.

Whatever delay you think you are experiencing, it's not related to the clutch pedal. There is no lock-out on the clutch. Try it yourself: Put it in gear, foot on the brake, start and be ready to bob. Obviously don't do this in front of a wall / car / your grandma / etc.

I don't know about Euro-spec cars (I see that you're in Germany), but this is not true for US-spec cars. If you're starting in neutral, all you have to do is press the brake, yeah, but if you're starting in gear, you have to have the clutch pressed in or the car won't start.

I don't know about Euro-spec cars (I see that you're in Germany), but this is not true for US-spec cars.
I'm gonna try it next time in the car. Since it doesn't make sense to not have this, they might have fixed it in one of the software updates I received since then. Last time I involuntary tested it was early last year haha.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back