• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Intermittent failure to start

This is 100% an electrical issue and not fuel related. I was recently at a gas pump and my fuel door wouldn't pop open. After manually trying for over 5 minutes, I got in the car and moved it to a spot in front of the store instead of sitting at the pump. When I got out to try it again, the fuel door worked like there was never a problem. I was sure the electrical issues were over when I sold my 2005 Elise for this nearly 20 year newer car...but nah.

This is 100% an electrical issue and not fuel related
How do you conclude your fuel door not opening = electrical issue regarding rough starts?
I'd guess you might have accidentally locked the car getting out. The fob buttons press rather easily even in pants pockets. That would lock the door.

How do you conclude your fuel door not opening = electrical issue regarding rough starts?
I'd guess you might have accidentally locked the car getting out. The fob buttons press rather easily even in pants pockets. That would lock the door.
Because I turned the car off at the pump, got out of the car, tried to open the fuel door for 5 mins, and got back in the "unlocked" car without touching my fob. There's no proximity auto-unlock w/ fob on our cars so even if I accidentally locked it, I would have to manually unlock it. The car was unlocked and the fuel door was stuck in a locked position, this is an electrical problem.

Back