• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lack of power steering on day one

And they’ll fix it that week, not in 12 weeks.
You are correct.

My hastily typed comment was referencing the dramatic statement that Lotus can't get a system correctly designed that's been around a long time. If it's like a lot of other parts, the pump is designed and sourced from Bosch, Hitachi, Toyota, or some other mass producer. They got a bad batch and need to replace them.

Think it doesn't happen to safety systems, too, in almost every manufacturer on earth? Takata can probably attest to that.

Ya I think that "dramatic statement" represents the frustration around everything that has been going on with these cars and effecting multiple cars....probably not just the power steering.

Ya I think that "dramatic statement" represents the frustration around everything that has been going on with these cars and effecting multiple cars....probably not just the power steering.
Possibly, but for people in NA who won't see their cars for at least 6 months to get frustrated about ANYTHING but the long delivery time is fruitless. I recommend NA owners save their angst until we actually have a product in hand.

Possibly, but for people in NA who won't see their cars for at least 6 months to get frustrated about ANYTHING but the long delivery time is fruitless. I recommend NA owners save their angst until we actually have a product in hand.
You realize it's all us NA people have to do, right? Since nobody got their cars in Spring of '22 as originally planned? Many sold their cars in preparation for that and could be bitter.
Have to realize, also, there are a lot of people new to Lotus who've never even sat in one before, but who knows their reputation for unreliability and feel they are taking a chance with their money.
So ya...these reports solidify Lotus' reputation for many and now we have to decide if we even want to move forward with a possible headache. Because for most of us...dealerships are few and far between.

You realize it's all us NA people have to do, right? Since nobody got their cars in Spring of '22 as originally planned? Many sold their cars in preparation for that and could be bitter.
Have to realize, also, there are a lot of people new to Lotus who've never even sat in one before, but who knows their reputation for unreliability and feel they are taking a chance with their money.
So ya...these reports solidify Lotus' reputation for many and now we have to decide if we even want to move forward with a possible headache. Because for most of us...dealerships are few and far between.
Yes, I'm one of those people who have an order and is waiting on my car.
Yes, I know a lot of people are unfamiliar with Lotus.
No, I don't believe the car is a disaster and people should avoid it. Hundreds of Emiras out there being driven happily and without problems. Some actually on this forum, believe it or not.

Yes, I'm one of those people who have an order and is waiting on my car.
Yes, I know a lot of people are unfamiliar with Lotus.
No, I don't believe the car is a disaster and people should avoid it. Hundreds of Emiras out there being driven happily and without problems. Some actually on this forum, believe it or not.
How do we know these "Hundreds" of Emiras have no problems? Haven't there only been hundreds that have even been delivered? We aren't into the 1000's yet, are we? We very well may be. I honestly don't know.
But I feel like this forum is a good overall gauge of problems people are experiencing.
And it seems some people who originally said they had no issues, are now having issues. All it takes is some more time and extra miles to reveal some them.
And yes, as I've said many times, I do realize new cars will have teething issues. However, some of these cars should have never passed quality control just for safety reasons alone. I've had a cancelation email sitting in my drafts for 2 months now. But for some reason beyond my rational self, I cannot hit the send button just yet! 🤣

How do we know these "Hundreds" of Emiras have no problems? Haven't there only been hundreds that have even been delivered? We aren't into the 1000's yet, are we? We very well may be. I honestly don't know.
But I feel like this forum is a good overall gauge of problems people are experiencing.
And it seems some people who originally said they had no issues, are now having issues. All it takes is some more time and extra miles to reveal some them.
And yes, as I've said many times, I do realize new cars will have teething issues. However, some of these cars should have never passed quality control just for safety reasons alone. I've had a cancelation email sitting in my drafts for 2 months now. But for some reason beyond my rational self, I cannot hit the send button just yet! 🤣

I think you are misreading my posts. I agree that issues happen and those issues must be addressed by Lotus. And by all means people should report them on the forum for others to hear about.

My point: members who are NOT experiencing those issues trying to turn those issues into dramatic doom-and-gloom generalizations about Lotus quality which is neither factual nor helpful. Members, especially NA members, who haven't yet even received their car can do no more than repeat others' problems which leads to an echo chamber. We've seen it happen over and over again. Someone reports an issue and 10 pages later people have become wrapped around the axle about the issue. I feel like some of the loudest voices aren't even depositors.

When we receive our cars in NA, and if we see those problems, then by all means complain. I'll be right there, too. But getting worked up months before delivery about potential problems is just an exercise in self-abuse.

And, I admit I don't know if there are truly 100's of happy Emira owners. Maybe only 10. But 100's have been delivered and not everybody is complaining.

I'm going back to my beer now

I think you are misreading my posts. I agree that issues happen and those issues must be addressed by Lotus. And by all means people should report them on the forum for others to hear about.

My point: members who are NOT experiencing those issues trying to turn those issues into dramatic doom-and-gloom generalizations about Lotus quality which is neither factual nor helpful. Members, especially NA members, who haven't yet even received their car can do no more than repeat others' problems which leads to an echo chamber. We've seen it happen over and over again. Someone reports an issue and 10 pages later people have become wrapped around the axle about the issue. I feel like some of the loudest voices aren't even depositors.

When we receive our cars in NA, and if we see those problems, then by all means complain. I'll be right there, too. But getting worked up months before delivery about potential problems is just an exercise in self-abuse.

And, I admit I don't know if there are truly 100's of happy Emira owners. Maybe only 10. But 100's have been delivered and not everybody is complaining.

I'm going back to my beer now

You make very good points. And please don't take my banter as arguing, just sharing my thoughts. 😊
I think for many who are complaining so much (OK at least for me) they are afraid that these problems won't be hashed out before they have to put the non-refundable deposit down and be faced with either pulling out at that point or take the chance and have to deal with some of these issues. After all this time waiting...
I am really hoping they get things ironed out and appreciate the early owners! They all deserve a beer too! 😁

Keep the fingers crossed that the parts are coming within 3 days as mentioned in another post here.

I’m waiting for Emira replacement parts for 5 months as of now and still no idea when they will be delivered ? Also it took recently about 3 months to get some engine parts for my V6 Exige. Hope its not the case with your issue, but Lotus seems to have serious problem with parts supply.

5 months? Make them buy it back at your original purchase price.
In Germany I think this is even not possible and car is useable, so it’s not critical. But I’m wondering if something which prevents driving needs replacing, then what ?

In Germany I think this is even not possible and car is useable, so it’s not critical. But I’m wondering if something which prevents driving needs replacing, then what ?
Sadly you are correct. I knew Germany had a guarantee period on cars but it’s only for used vehicle defects apparently.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back