• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lack of power steering on day one

Somewhere in Norwich ....

Lotus QA "since we got a bad batch of steering pump's, do you think we should hold off production until it is fixed or at least hold back the delivery"

Lotus Management " nah, just give them the car so we get paid, then we will take it in to repair under warranty. Keeps the line moving:"

Lotus QA "But that defeats the purpose of my job"

Two Days Later

Somewhere in Norwich ....

Lotus QA "since we got a bad batch of steering pump's, do you think we should hold off production until it is fixed or at least hold back the delivery"

Lotus Management " nah, just give them the car so we get paid, then we will take it in to repair under warranty. Keeps the line moving:"

Lotus QA "But that defeats the purpose of my job"

Two Days Later

Forgot to mention "China focused role".

update
My power steering was repaired within a week. The only information I got from my dealer was a short e-mail saying "your car is repaired and functioning well".
However the car is still not handed over to me. Should happen this Friday now. Seems the dealer is too busy. Car is with the dealer since 9 weeks now.
I keep my fingers crossed that it really happens this Friday.

Nine weeks? If mine’s not back in a week I’m rejecting it and asking the DVLA to investigate why they are allowed to continue selling them.

Nine weeks? If mine’s not back in a week I’m rejecting it and asking the DVLA to investigate why they are allowed to continue selling them.
Yes, nine weeks seems excessive for steering pump. @emirahl what was the reason you could not pick up the car earlier / was it infact fixed after a week or not?

Yes, nine weeks seems excessive for steering pump. @emirahl what was the reason you could not pick up the car earlier / was it infact fixed after a week or not?
There is a misunderstanding. The repair of the steering pump was one week and that happenend just last week.
The long time for hand over is just because it took the dealer seven weeks for preparing the car and licensing, although all documents were with him a long time ago. Now plus one week repair, plus another week for delivery (trailer) . Total nine weeks. However, so far I am fine, I had no time for it anyway. But now it need to arrive as I am running out of time soon. Six weeks road trip planned with the Emira, all hotels, ferry and so on booked.
I am positive to really get it this Friday. Than all would be good.

There is a misunderstanding. The repair of the steering pump was one week and that happenend just last week.
The long time for hand over is just because it took the dealer seven weeks for preparing the car and licensing, although all documents were with him a long time ago. Now plus one week repair, plus another week for delivery (trailer) . Total nine weeks. However, so far I am fine, I had no time for it anyway. But now it need to arrive as I am running out of time soon. Six weeks road trip planned with the Emira, all hotels, ferry and so on booked.
I am positive to really get it this Friday. Than all would be good.
I hope all goes smoothly for you this coming Friday! Super Exciting!!

Update: had a new steering pump installed, lines bled and cleared. It was taken out for a test drive and power steering failed again after 2 miles

So currently waiting for the third steering pump to be fitted !!!

If that fails, I am at a loss as to what to do, and I may have to insist that Lotus give me a brand-new car or refund me my money

Update: had a new steering pump installed, lines bled and cleared. It was taken out for a test drive and power steering failed again after 2 miles

If that fails, I am at a loss as to what to do, and I may have to insist that Lotus give me a brand-new car or refund me my money

I'm told it's something with the lines that fails with these, not the pump.

I'm told it's something with the lines that fails with these, not the pump
The service centre seem to think that some something could be causing the line to block, so the steering fluid can’t get through

What did you hear ?

I wonder if any of the failed pumps were disassembled to determine the root cause.

This is exactly right. A brand new pump, even if it's not a great quality pump, isn't going to fail within 2 miles of installation. I'd start doing a pressure test on the lines to see if there's a pinched line, or blockage of some kind. Maybe even a bit of debris got into the steering assembly the lines are feeding into.

This is exactly right. A brand new pump, even if it's not a great quality pump, isn't going to fail within 2 miles of installation. I'd start doing a pressure test on the lines to see if there's a pinched line, or blockage of some kind. Maybe even a bit of debris got into the steering assembly the lines are feeding into.
Has this ever happened with Evoras?

One causes the other. If there's a blockage or a restriction in the hard lines due to a design flaw or installation flaw the power steering pump will quickly die due to increased load.

Has this ever happened with Evoras?
I’ve got to imagine the power steering lines are all new since it’s mostly a different car. It may use all the same main parts but all the plumbing is likely slightly different.

I’ve got to imagine the power steering lines are all new since it’s mostly a different car. It may use all the same main parts but all the plumbing is likely slightly different.
Hopefully the line construction (pressure rating, ID, materials, etc) are similar.

Hopefully the line construction (pressure rating, ID, materials, etc) are similar.
I’m sure they are but all it takes is one defect in manufacturing or installation to make a properly radiused line to be restricted.