• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lease or buy?

zzthechampion

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting an Emira but first wanted to explore my options a bit. One question was if I should lease or buy the Emira?

Also I have not been able to find any estimates on what a lease payment versus a finance payment would be so if someone could help me with that information that would be very helpful.
Thanks!

This is such a complicated subject and has many factors such as length of lease, the miles you want to drive, business or private and what’s available.
Personally I’d sooner buy but it depends on what you can afford. Payment up front has no interest but loans with sizeable deposits can be cheaper than finance.
Our work vehicles are a very good price even based on high mileage but I imagine a sports car will be high even on low mileage because they don’t expect lease car owners to look after them as well.

Well this one is simpler than it seems: Do you want to rent or own this Emira?

All the other factors aside, that's what it comes down to.

Impossible to know, is so heavily based on your own position, objectives, risk position, potential depreciation, to name a few.... However, I would 'suspect' that leasing may not actually be that competitive compared to other financing solutions. Buying outright is a different proposition altogether.

Well this one is simpler than it seems: Do you want to rent or own this Emira?

All the other factors aside, that's what it comes down to.
Very simplistic approach. Some people own a business and they can lease it through there with a write off. This really depends on the individual.

This is such a complicated subject and has many factors such as length of lease, the miles you want to drive, business or private and what’s available.
Personally I’d sooner buy but it depends on what you can afford. Payment up front has no interest but loans with sizeable deposits can be cheaper than finance.
Our work vehicles are a very good price even based on high mileage but I imagine a sports car will be high even on low mileage because they don’t expect lease car owners to look after them as well.

Sorry I didn't want to bog the post down with too many details but this is informative. The lease would be through a business. I WANT to own the car but people are telling me it might be worth to lease it first and then buying it out in 3 years. Their rationale is that if it is a lemon or there are significant problems I am not on the hook for it.

Are they even offering leases this early into sales? Maybe a third party lender?

What's the lease money factor / APR people are seeing in USA at this time?
Do Lotus have a USA wide lease plan or is this dealer specific?

Leaning towards keeping things simple and just buying outright,
though also interested in financial analysis of investing the principal in an SP500 Index Fund and leasing instead.

I'll likely replace the Emira with the Type 135 (in 3yrs?)

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back