• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus Marketing opinions?

I can’t help to think Lotus marketing is trying way too hard and overly arty impressionistic!!

The only things I can remember from the EV launch are the fact hat Button could not shut the door properly, ie it didnt work and one of the dancers had a bad moment; the faults stay with you more than the completions.
I agree 100%, they are trying way too hard and throwing money away and if anything doing more harm than good.
The Emira launch for me was a disaster, where the strong probability of rain was not anticipated and it was a huge anti climax.
I am happy for the marketing to continue on Instagram, but these "shows" launching the cars really are way over the top and they dont go themselves any favours. Lotus is NOT a flamboyant brand, and even if it was, I dont see anyone else doing these sort of launches.
I agree, they should focus on communication, which is severely lacking.
Im in the UK first wave of orders, having placed mine back in March last year I think, cant even recall now, but I am also trying to get a car in Spain, where the closest dealer to me is at a complete loss with lotus as they dont even answer his communications. Several customers interested in cars and he cant tell them if they can have one, incredible.
I have to say, and I was an Elise owner, if Porsche released images of the next generation 718 (yes electric) and if it looked anywhere close to being as well designed as the Emira, which has a few floors, I would be extremely tempted to wait for that instead, especially with the price of petrol seeing no sign of coming down. I hate to say it, but Lotus are doing everything they can to dampen their own spark of interest around the world in their cars.... congratualtions. Yes there are excuses, parts suppliers, new factory, world economy, but their is no excuse for a lack of communication; they are very much taking an Apple approach.....

Agreed that if you don't understand it, you're not the target demo. Personally, I think all of this is fine. I'm reading a lot of what I feel like is projection here, some flashes of yellow and words like "breathe" do not have a larger societal commentary. I'm surprised people feel so strongly about this, it's just abstract lifestyle marketing and that happens everywhere in luxury goods. Lotus wasn't the first to do interpretive dance at a car reveal, either.

Here's the reality: Lotus doesn't exist. They exist to everyone on this board of course, add lightness and Jim clark and headlights that pop out of their socket sometimes. That's all legacy and we're here for it. Outside of the most loyal car circles, nobody has any idea what Lotus is. I saw that first-hand driving an Exige S240 from Chicago to San Diego. every single stop I made, people asked me what the hell it was. I'm sure many here have experienced the same. Many assumed out loud that it was a Lamborghini.

Now Lotus is tasked with making people know who they are - and they are actively telling us who they are. This marketing is creating a brand from scratch. Cars going vroom is great, but we already have "the ultimate driving machine" and "zoom zoom" and it's all been done to death. Just another car, but one I haven't heard of. As a consumer, why should I care? That's a hard message to convey when you only have my attention for half a second.

I agree that it's probably a big agency that was given a brief about "soul" and "communication" and being "visceral" and ran in a direction that to us, doesn't feel natural here but to everyone else who has no idea what the hell lotus is, they at least understand vaguely that these cars are about feeling / emotion / intuition / being an extension of your body. It's sexy, and that's all it really needs to be.

Except it DOESN'T advertise a car. It's advertising the people and their lifestyles in the ad. So what is Lotus, an ad agency? A clothing designer? A weirdo flinging paint around under a spotlight?

It's abstract lifestyle alright, but abstract lifestyle marketing of a VERY narrow niche of people. And those people in the ads aren't even in or driving a Lotus. The fact that this kind of weirdness is everywhere in luxury goods, is precisely why Lotus should NOT do this sort of thing. The way to stand out is to not be like everybody else; like the Emira; a car that until Lotus revealed it, nobody would have said could be done at that price point.

Lotus has a HUGE opportunity to establish themselves as different from what everybody else is doing. If I didn't know about the Emira or Lotus, and I saw that ad, I would be muting it within the first few seconds and not paying any attention to it because that style is EVERYWHERE and it says nothing. Just another so-called trendy edgy ad that you have no idea what they're actually selling, because it's by and for the narcissists in the ad.

Lotus is better than this, they need to be better than this. They need to lead, not follow. Do something different like the Emira.

Except it DOESN'T advertise a car. It's advertising the people and their lifestyles in the ad. So what is Lotus, an ad agency? A clothing designer? A weirdo flinging paint around under a spotlight?

It's abstract lifestyle alright, but abstract lifestyle marketing of a VERY narrow niche of people. And those people in the ads aren't even in or driving a Lotus. The fact that this kind of weirdness is everywhere in luxury goods, is precisely why Lotus should NOT do this sort of thing. The way to stand out is to not be like everybody else; like the Emira; a car that until Lotus revealed it, nobody would have said could be done at that price point.

Lotus has a HUGE opportunity to establish themselves as different from what everybody else is doing. If I didn't know about the Emira or Lotus, and I saw that ad, I would be muting it within the first few seconds and not paying any attention to it because that style is EVERYWHERE and it says nothing. Just another so-called trendy edgy ad that you have no idea what they're actually selling, because it's by and for the narcissists in the ad.

Lotus is better than this, they need to be better than this. They need to lead, not follow. Do something different like the Emira.
Makes you wonder if they ran the ad - or Iterations - in front of a focus group, and correctly interpreted the reactions.

I think we should keep in mind they're advertising the Eletre and follow-on EV SUVs. They've already sold every Emira they can make for the next 2+ years.

The very idea of getting offended or annoyed by any marketing campaign cracks me up... they don't need to attract anyone like us. We hang around like a bad smell, even in the face of passive-aggressive discouragement and misinformation :D

Marketing companies exist to concoct all kinds of "aspirational" nonsense (perfume ads, anyone?), and I'm sure this stuff resonates with some cool, rich, young, hipster audience somewhere, but I sure ain't gonna waste my time fretting about whether "Lotus gets me". Do they have a sweet sports car to sell me? Yes? I'll take one to go please... no, I don't need a carrier bag, I'll put it on right now :)

Last edited:
Just got the "All-new Lotus Merchandise now available" email and the link to shop doesn't load (due to an error on the page)...

I don't understand why spend money here and there making average videos and at best "good", like all of those teasers for Eletre we had.

Why not make nothing until you have the money to make a great one, like Porsche Heist for example, something will remind people that Lotus exist and make them excited for the brand, the typical marketing videos are just to say "oh look we have a job and we doing our job, give us a raise" but what manufacturers need a marketing team that understand what will excite the customers and send strong impression that will be stuck in viewers memory for ages!

The only things I can remember from the EV launch are the fact hat Button could not shut the door properly, ie it didnt work and one of the dancers had a bad moment; the faults stay with you more than the completions.
I agree 100%, they are trying way too hard and throwing money away and if anything doing more harm than good.
The Emira launch for me was a disaster, where the strong probability of rain was not anticipated and it was a huge anti climax.
I am happy for the marketing to continue on Instagram, but these "shows" launching the cars really are way over the top and they dont go themselves any favours. Lotus is NOT a flamboyant brand, and even if it was, I dont see anyone else doing these sort of launches.
I agree, they should focus on communication, which is severely lacking.
Im in the UK first wave of orders, having placed mine back in March last year I think, cant even recall now, but I am also trying to get a car in Spain, where the closest dealer to me is at a complete loss with lotus as they dont even answer his communications. Several customers interested in cars and he cant tell them if they can have one, incredible.
I have to say, and I was an Elise owner, if Porsche released images of the next generation 718 (yes electric) and if it looked anywhere close to being as well designed as the Emira, which has a few floors, I would be extremely tempted to wait for that instead, especially with the price of petrol seeing no sign of coming down. I hate to say it, but Lotus are doing everything they can to dampen their own spark of interest around the world in their cars.... congratualtions. Yes there are excuses, parts suppliers, new factory, world economy, but their is no excuse for a lack of communication; they are very much taking an Apple approach.....
I’m wondering whether I should just go and have a look at Taycan CrossTurismo instead….. for the same reasons.

It isn’t advertising a car. It’s brand advertising, part of the Lotus brand strategy.

And yes, dreamt up by some brand agency. The same agency who worked on the Eletre launch.

It’s not aimed at uslot.

The thread started by asking for opinions and we’ve certainly got some!

I agree with the main sentiment that the ads don’t work for a group of driving enthusiasts (ie us lot) and I really can’t get too worked up about one or two ad campaigns but if this trend continues I wonder where Lotus as a brand is heading.

I understand they need to attract new blood, they’ve done that with me, but what drew me to the Emira was the prospect of a car I can use daily, a car I could take on a week+ touring holiday in and yet would, given Lotus handling magic, put a grin on my face every time I rolled out the drive.

I realise they are in the thick of marketing an SUV so the ‘brand’ emphasis will be different and I realise they need to raise general brand awareness too. Nevertheless, I still expected a focus on driving - maybe I’m just not imaginative enough to interpret the ads as representative of Lotus values. It will be interesting to see how the tone evolves when their new electric sports car is ready to roll.

It isn’t advertising a car. It’s brand advertising, part of the Lotus brand strategy.

And yes, dreamt up by some brand agency. The same agency who worked on the Eletre launch.

It’s not aimed at uslot.
But that's exactly the problem. Brand of what?

The EV SUVs are described by Lotus as the “Lifestyle” vehicles. So I guess it’s some sort of brand of lifestyle. Not one I recognise as having any relevance for me.

But that's exactly the problem. Brand of what?
The ad is a reintroduction of the brand, reasserting that Lotus exists. It admits being small but scrappy and ready to pounce. To answer your question, it's a brand poised to realize its "limitless" overhead potential. Because it's about the brand and no specific car, it abstracts to intangible ideas and not practical examples to describe itself like you'd prefer.

The prior Emira ad follows the same brand vibe while emphasizing Emira-specific qualities. It again acknowledges being a small brand and plays to that with the same edgy, contrarian stance: "Drive like no other . . . Engage like no other." And what half the audience doesn't get because they read into semantics too literally: "Not just another sports car. The other." That can be better understood by reducing it further to figurative elements of import: "Not 'a' but 'THE'." Basically saying it's the one sports car capable of things unlike any other.

Last edited:
The EV SUVs are described by Lotus as the “Lifestyle” vehicles. So I guess it’s some sort of brand of lifestyle. Not one I recognise as having any relevance for me.
Yeah, that's the buzzword nowadays. "Lifestyle vehicles." The Eletre fuses the Lamborghini Urus template and the Model S template and tries to appeal to those buyers. I imagine there's a large overlap as they're sort of symbols of excess and hype. Around 2009 the redesigned Prius suddenly became a hot item because celebrities were buying it to show their support for the environment. And materialistic college girls around me wanted their affluent parents to buy them one as if it were some designer accessory. Strange times. The Model S took that to the next level a few years later. That's probably when I started noticing "lifestyle vehicle" marketing. Though it's likely existed for decades prior like with the Countach, just under different names.

Last edited:
When you make the best drivers car in the world. The fastest SUV in the world. The best EV sports car in the world (referencing the upcoming Lotus/Alpine car).

Your advertising doesn't have to be about cars. Lotus is saying we are different, come and find out. If you don't, your loss.

Okay, a couple of you think the ad style and campaign is good. I hope the marketplace doesn't react like that. They need more than a couple of people to respond favorably.

Personally I think they need something more friendly, more engaging. Hopefully the combination of the Emira and the few thousand owners who will be rolling ambassadors for the brand will be enough to generate brand identity.

I get their marketing and find it neither amazing nor self-deprecating. Just competent.

1651203080266.png

Which might be deliberate and the right strategy--a sign of confidence in the cars to stand on their own without heavily relying on marketing as a crutch. Don't overpromise or underpromise, no puffing your chest or tooting your own horn. Just get out the way of your own noise and let the cars show and prove through press and social media.

The marketing feeling slightly off from expectation could be a cultural thing. I didn't notice at the time but there's stark bravado in the Z06 announcement special compared to the Emira reveal which was more a celebration of heritage and bright future outlook. Jenson Button played the role of sales man and it was just what you'd expect--not overly exaggerated (meaning not scripted for dramatic effect like in the Z06) but not botched up. Maybe Brits aren't as boastful as Americans culturally? I worked for a Taiwanese smartphone company called HTC and the slogan in all lowercase was "quietly brilliant" (confidence in letting the product speak for itself) and imagine a Chinese company like Geely could follow similar culture.

Last edited: