Low dust brake pad options

WindJunkie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm noticing a decent amount of brake dust on my new Emira, and in the past while owning Civic Type Rs, I've swapped the OEM pads out for Akebono ceramic low dust pads which were insanely low dust...virtually no dust at all. I emailed Akebono directly who told me they will not be making pads for the Emira due to the Emira being a low volume vehicle.

A quick google search for low dust pads for the Emira brings up https://perfectbrakes.com/automotive/lotus/emira/3.50-Supercharged-2022-/19025583#

Can anyone speak to this brand or these pads? I realize the OEM pads may be more optimal for track use, but I will never track my Emira, it's a garage queen/weekend driver only.

I'm noticing a decent amount of brake dust on my new Emira, and in the past while owning Civic Type Rs, I've swapped the OEM pads out for Akebono ceramic low dust pads which were insanely low dust...virtually no dust at all. I emailed Akebono directly who told me they will not be making pads for the Emira due to the Emira being a low volume vehicle.

A quick google search for low dust pads for the Emira brings up https://perfectbrakes.com/automotive/lotus/emira/3.50-Supercharged-2022-/19025583#

Can anyone speak to this brand or these pads? I realize the OEM pads may be more optimal for track use, but I will never track my Emira, it's a garage queen/weekend driver only.
I'm also very interested in this, hate brake dust!

Not my Lotus, but I switched to the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads on my GTI and really like them. Great bite, good enough for HPDE track days, and much lower dust than OEM pads. I just checked and they have them for the Evora GTs, so they should also be available for the Emira.

The brand of pads that Perfect Brakes and others carry is EBC. My son runs them on his Elise and they are popular with BMW owners. Regarding low dust pads, I have Akebono on my BMW and Hawk Performance Ceramic on my 911. Both are very low dust and great for street use. EBC offers Redstuff Ceramic for our Emiras. Given that they are a ceramic compound, they are likely to perform similar to the Akebono and Hawk pads. I plan to try a set of them, as I also have noted a lot of dust on my wheels (silver) after only ~180 miles. Plus they are the only choice we have right now. Perhaps they are making the OEM pads for Lotus too.

Im following this.

Talking about brake dust and calipers. I struggle to make and keep the callipers (yellow) clean :s, i wash my car myself and have pretty much all the tools available.. i use the (aggressive) wheel cleaner stray and use that also the my callipers… but no way the black stains are going.

Any help for this is much appreciated. Thanks
IMG_3471.jpeg

Im following this.

Talking about brake dust and calipers. I struggle to make and keep the callipers (yellow) clean :s, i wash my car myself and have pretty much all the tools available.. i use the (aggressive) wheel cleaner stray and use that also the my callipers… but no way the black stains are going.

Any help for this is much appreciated. ThanksView attachment 45029
I have yellow calipers too. I had my wheels & calipers ceramic coated. I washed my car for the 1st time this past weekend after 500 miles. Wheels & calipers came clean with minimal effort. I suggest you have this done. It will save you a lot of elbow grease.

I have yellow calipers too. I had my wheels & calipers ceramic coated. I washed my car for the 1st time this past weekend after 500 miles. Wheels & calipers came clean with minimal effort. I suggest you have this done. It will save you a lot of elbow grease.
Thanks! Will do ceramic in the wheels and callipers

I ceramic coated my wheels and calipers and it's certainly easy to clean them, but the issue is that within 10 miles of driving, there's a layer of brake dust. The calipers stay clean, but the wheels are perpetually "dirty" as soon as any driving is involved. I am afraid the only solution is to go with low dust pads, or at least different pads where the dust isn't as tenacious when grabbing onto wheels.

Im following this.

I would be careful with aggressive and harsh cleaners. Don't let them dry, especially baking in the sun. If the black stains are already etched on the yellow paint, your only option may be to lightly polish them to get rid of them, or at least lighten them significantly. Then ceramic coat your wheels and ONLY USE MILD SOAP AND WATER to wash your wheels and calipers. There is no reason to use aggressive chemicals to wash wheels.

I would be careful with aggressive and harsh cleaners. Don't let them dry, especially baking in the sun. If the black stains are already etched on the yellow paint, your only option may be to lightly polish them to get rid of them, or at least lighten them significantly. Then ceramic coat your wheels and ONLY USE MILD SOAP AND WATER to wash your wheels and calipers. There is no reason to use aggressive chemicals to wash wheels.
Thanks.. im afraid that the aggressive cleaner has already etched the paint :( because nothing removes it

Thanks.. im afraid that the aggressive cleaner has already etched the paint :( because nothing removes it
You can try a cleaner wax or light polish. Don't use anything motorised or powered. Just polish with your hands. It should brighten up significantly. The caliper is not clear coated so it is only high temp enamel that's protecting it. Aggressive cleaners may soften the paint and allow dirt to embed, which is what you see. Once you polish it, clean it off and ceramic coat it. You should be good to go after that.

You can try a cleaner wax or light polish. Don't use anything motorised or powered. Just polish with your hands. It should brighten up significantly. The caliper is not clear coated so it is only high temp enamel that's protecting it. Aggressive cleaners may soften the paint and allow dirt to embed, which is what you see. Once you polish it, clean it off and ceramic coat it. You should be good to go after that.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated! Will do that right away

I apply Sonax to wheels and calipers before washing the car (in the shade) and thoroughly, THOROUGHLY rinse the sonax off once the color change subsides. Then foam cannon the car and wheels. Wheels and calipers then get a microfiber wipe down. Cleans them up nicely.

The OEM pads are Ferodo DS2500.

FYI there are tons of different pad options for the Emira. Everything specified for the Evora GT/GT410 will fit. Pagid, Hawk, Carbotech, EBC, etc.
That’s great to know! i saw these from GRP and it looks like it’s quiet and low dust.

I know someone has those, maybe @kitkat I think.. He had to take the backing off the pads to make them work and then there is a squeal now because he took off the backing.

Hoping someone starts to make a pad specifically for the Emira.. The dust is crazy after 10 minutes of driving!!

Ryan G

Im following this.

Being a Mobile detailer, You definitely don’t want not to regularly use an aggressive wheel cleaner each time you wash them. Just a good car soap would be fine. An aggressive wheel cleaner is for wheels with caked on brake dust that’s been neglected.

Here’s what I’d try. Least aggressive to most.

1. I’d first try using a good non acidic wheel cleaner, I’d recommend Mag wheel cleaner and dilute it to your liking, it’s a dark green liquid, then use a Detail brush to agitate the surface (in the shade) rinse off completely.

2. Spray some soap and water and use a medium clay bar to see if it’ll remove it.

3. Try a little bit of polish on a light polishing pad, polish by hand. This should be the best way to remove it.

4. (Most aggressive)
If it’s Still there, (in the shade with gloves on) spray an iron remover on it, let it sit for a few seconds, and agitate it for no longer than(20sec -30 sec), then rinse it off completely as it’s very very acidic. It’ll turn a dark purple if it’s removing iron.

it’s still there, you might need to get it painted. But being a new car it shouldn’t be.
Just do the less aggressive options first.

It looks like 2 low dust alternatives to EBC Reds are here or on the immediate horizon: just saw GRP has newly listed Rotora H2’s, and Racing Brake is all over the forum now taking orders for theirs. Does anyone know much about Rotora vs. the Reds? I understand the Reds are a tight install on the front.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back