Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 issue

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I have just watched this video and was shocked to see Michelin has made both left and right tyres in the same mould.
I’ve had Cup 2 tyres many times in and more recently on my RS3 which was 700hp and didn’t notice any issues or get uneven tyre wear. This week my Cup 2 Connect tyres arrive so I’ll find out if they are the same.
I have the Goodyear tyres at the moment so it would be good if someone can check their tyres to see if they have the same issue on the Lotus ones. I understand OEM supplied tyres can be different even if they have identical model names.

I found a response video where Michelin state they are track optimised and some tech reasons on how.
So one thing I have learned is if you have Cup 2 tyres and they have the same outer shoulder direction you need to rotate them to get even wear.

I was getting noticeably more wear on my front left cup 2 C on the track (didn’t notice same thing on the rear). Front left was getting hotter too, as the tyre pressure would increase more than right side front. I recently lowered the car slightly, maybe the geo needs adjusting…. I would have thought an alignment error can cause uneven wear, but didn’t think uneven left to right.

Didn’t have this on the F1 OEM tyres the week before, but that was before it was lowered. I’ve since rotated as per the YT video. Gonna try to get an alignment check soon.

I was getting noticeably more wear on my front left cup 2 C on the track (didn’t notice same thing on the rear). Front left was getting hotter too, as the tyre pressure would increase more than right side front. I recently lowered the car slightly, maybe the geo needs adjusting…. I would have thought an alignment error can cause uneven wear, but didn’t think uneven left to right.

Didn’t have this on the F1 OEM tyres the week before, but that was before it was lowered. I’ve since rotated as per the YT video. Gonna try to get an alignment check soon.
You might also need corner balancing. Find a place that has a digital auto (not a truck) weight scale that shows the weight for each corner like you can see in @Dragoon project thread https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/dragoons-emira-build.5101/

You might also need corner balancing. Find a place that has a digital auto (not a truck) weight scale that shows the weight for each corner like you can see in @Dragoon project thread https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/dragoons-emira-build.5101/
My lowering was a budget drop (just moved the circlips on the shocks, it gives a not insignificant drop on the I4 Sport setup), so no corner weighing for me…

this was really a noticeable amount of additional wear on the left front, versus other 3 tyres. I’m guessing alignment got messed up a bit.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back