• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

📓 Journals New member with actual Emira

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
Thanks for the write up. Comparison with the GTS particularly interesting. I look forward to your next installment.

You'll be able to compensate for bass with EQ initially, but as I've stated elsewhere, the mid-to-low sound performance is going to improve after about 25 hours of use. You'll definitely be able to tell the difference.

Not much to say about brakes, oher than they are excellent. Initial bite is strong, but not grabby and there is plenty of adjustability in braking power, so its possible to balance on limit so that ABS will not activate . Brakes are sure enough for occasional track use.

My car has touring spec suspension and GTS has also softer version from 2 which can be specified. Overall stiffness is comparable and Emira's setup feels also much like Exige V6. Main difference is that GTS has electronically adjustable dampers, while Emira has passive setup. GTS suspension works better on low speed, while Emira is bit struggling. From 80 kmh up there is not much difference and Emira feels planted with no bodyroll in the corners. Maybe on track with sticky tyres it would benefit from stiffer suspension, but on public road I never felt that its too soft and roadholding was good on uneven surfaces. Even at speeds over 150 kmh it coped well with occasional road undulations. I don't have comparison with sport setup, so difficult to give definitive verdict. Whats sure, is that passive setup has limitations compared to adjustable damping.

Last about Emiras strongest and weakest points compared to GTS. Where its weakest, is engine. 4,0 feels like masterpiece and sounds like it as well. Mostly due to acoustical engineering which brings intake sound into cabin via tube between seats. Like it has carbon airbox. Have owned E30 M3 with such setup and its very much same. GTS revs 1000 rpm higher and is naturally aspirated, so there is immideate pedal response and strong relation between revs and power, the higher you go the better and better it gets. Due to long gearing its very difficult to take it to redline higher than in 2 gear, but even at 2/3 revs its like symphony.

Emiras engine is very similar to Exige V6, pedal response in sport mode is good and it pulls strong from low revs. Just when revs go higher not much is changing, its very linear and therefore not that exciting. Rev limiter is low, but its even not worth to go all out, rather take next gear and ride on torque. It does its work, but no theatre and no drama. You hear little supercharger noise and in sport mode exhaust sounds nice. Not loud, but you can hear that V6 clearly. Default should be sport, because on tour throttle response is lazy and exhaust is quiet. Sport sharpens things up. What I didn't like much about sport is that Lotus has programmed bangs and pops while letting of throttle. Sounds good at first, but it gets old quickly in normal city driving from one traffic light to another and becomes silly. I preferred tour in stop and go traffic. On highway like said before, sport was my preference in order to stop hearing supercharger whine. It felt that after 800 km engine was getting more responsive and with more power. Difficult to say if claims about 400 hp are correct ? GTS feels definetly stronger, but it maybe due to fact that Emira has linear power delivery. For me engine was not suprise, as I have owned Exige for 9 years and knew well what to expect ?

Where Emira is strongest, is its steering. Again feels much like Exige, but with added comfort of power steering. Its very informative, you can feel exactly whats happening under front wheels, turn in is sharp and precice. GTS steering is heavier, but there is not much communication between road and your hands. Makes driving Emira such an occasion, like you have road directly unders your palms. Ultimately GTS has more front grip, but Emira is better by mile unless you are doing trackday and chase laptime.

Few words about the route I took and overall verdict. From Mendig I went down to Freiburg, about 500 km trip. Revisited road #500 from Baden-Baden to south based on good memories from 15 years back. Dissapointingly, its now with 50 kmh speed limit, like in so many cases with good driving roads. Most towns there have now 30 kmh limit and lots of cameras, so I dont think I will return to Schwartswald for driving.

Next day started from SW corner of Germany and after another 500 km finished in SE corner, in Brechtesgaden. Most of the way I followed route called: https://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/alpine-road This I can reccommend, lots of nice curvy stretches and good quality roads passing through alpine villages.

IMG_5640.JPG

Didn't stop for pictures, there wasnt that many suitable places. Here is just one with world famous Neuschwanstein castle in background.

IMG_5631.JPG

Last leg of the trip was autobahn back to Mendig. In the end trip computer showed following:

IMG_5735.JPG

As summary, I have made lots of comparison with Porsche, some of it not favourable to Emira. It does not mean that I would prefer one over another - they are cars with different backgrounds and philosphy. Porsche manufactures 60 000 sport cars every year, has dominated racetracks for 50+ years up to present and has might of VAG group behind it. Lotus probably struggles to push even 1000 out of its gates this year. Rationally P car wins, but emotionally I would say Emira offers more. And I bought Emira based on emotion. It looks like supermodel, has exotic construction, but is actually analog and kind of oldschool. Its flaws are not that significant and I'm driving something very rare, almoust hand made by tiny company with lots of heritage.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Not much to say about brakes, oher than they are excellent. Initial bite is strong, but not grabby and there is plenty of adjustability in braking power, so its possible to balance on limit so that ABS will not activate . Brakes are sure enough for occasional track use.

My car has touring spec suspension and GTS has also softer version from 2 which can be specified. Overall stiffness is comparable and Emira's setup feels also much like Exige V6. Main difference is that GTS has electronically adjustable dampers, while Emira has passive setup. GTS suspension works better on low speed, while Emira is bit struggling. From 80 kmh up there is not much difference and Emira feels planted with no bodyroll in the corners. Maybe on track with sticky tyres it would benefit from stiffer suspension, but on public road I never felt that its too soft and roadholding was good on uneven surfaces. Even at speeds over 150 kmh it coped well with occasional road undulations. I don't have comparison with sport setup, so difficult to give definitive verdict. Whats sure, is that passive setup has limitations compared to adjustable damping.

Last about Emiras strongest and weakest points compared to GTS. Where its weakest, is engine. 4,0 feels like masterpiece and sounds like it as well. Mostly due to acoustical engineering which brings intake sound into cabin via tube between seats. Like it has carbon airbox. Have owned E30 M3 with such setup and its very much same. GTS revs 1000 rpm higher and is naturally aspirated, so there is immideate pedal response and strong relation between revs and power, the higher you go the better and better it gets. Due to long gearing its very difficult to take it to redline higher than in 2 gear, but even at 2/3 revs its like symphony.

Emiras engine is very similar to Exige V6, pedal response in sport mode is good and it pulls strong from low revs. Just when revs go higher not much is changing, its very linear and therefore not that exciting. Rev limiter is low, but its even not worth to go all out, but take next gear and ride on torque. It does its work, but no theatre and no drama. You hear some supercharger noise and in sport mode exhaust sounds nice. Not loud, but you can hear that V6 clearly. Default should be sport, because on tour throttle response is lazy and exhaust is quiet. Sport sharpens things up. What I didn't like much about sport is that Lotus has programmed bangs and pops while letting of throttle. Sounds good at first, but it gets old quickly in normal city driving from one traffic light to another becomes silly. I preferred tour in stop and go traffic. On highway like said before, sport was my preference in order to stop hearing supercharger whine. It felt that after 800 km engine was getting more responsive and with more power. Difficult to say if claims about 400 hp are correct ? GTS feel definetly stronger, but it maybe due to fact that Emira has so linear power delivery. For me engine was not suprise, as I have owned Exige for 9 years and knew well what to expect ?

Where Emira is strongest, is its steering. Again feels much like Exige, but with added comfort of power steering. Its very informative, you can feel exactly whats happening under front wheels, turn in is sharp and precice. GTS steering is actually heavier, but there is not much communication between road and your hands. Makes driving Emira such an occasion, like you have road directly unders your palms. Ultimately GTS has more front grip, but it doesn't matter, Emira is better by mile here.

Few words about the route I took and overall verdict. from Mendig I went down to Freiburg, about 500 km trip. Revisited road #500 from Baden-Baden to south based on good memories from 15 years back. Dissapointingly, its now with 50 kmh speed limit, like in so many cases with good driving roads. Most towns there have now 30 kmh limit and lots of cameras, so I dont think I will return to Schwartswald for driving.

Next day started from SW corner of Germany and after another 500 km finished in SE corner, at Brechtesgaden. Most of the way I followed route called: https://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/alpine-road This I can reccommend, lots of nice curvy stretches and good quality roads passing nice alpine villages.

View attachment 10099

Didnt stop much for pictures, there wasnt many suitable places. Here is just one with world famous Neuschwanstein castle in background.

View attachment 10100

Last leg of the trip was autobahn back to Mendig. In the end trip computer showed following:

View attachment 10101

As summary, I have made lots of comparison with Porsche, some of it not favourable to Emira. It does not mean that I would prefer one over another - they are cars with complitely different backgrounds and philosphy how to do things. Porsche manufactures 60 000 sport cars every year, has dominated on racetracks for 50+ years up to present and has might of VAG group behind it. Lotus probably struggles to push even 1000 out of its gates this year. Rationally P car wins, but emotionally I would say Emira is better. And I bought Emira based on emotion. It looks like supermodel, has exotic construction, but is actually analog and kind of oldschool, its flaws are not that significant and I'm driving something very rare, almoust hand made by tiny company with lots of heritage.

Thanks for reading.
Great, honest and useful review! I think I agree with all of it 👍🏻

Emiras engine is very similar to Exige V6, pedal response in sport mode is good and it pulls strong from low revs. Just when revs go higher not much is changing, its very linear and therefore not that exciting. Rev limiter is low, but its even not worth to go all out, but take next gear and ride on torque. It does its work, but no theatre and no drama. You hear some supercharger noise and in sport mode exhaust sounds nice. Not loud, but you can hear that V6 clearly. Default should be sport, because on tour throttle response is lazy and exhaust is quiet. Sport sharpens things up. What I didn't like much about sport is that Lotus has programmed bangs and pops while letting of throttle. Sounds good at first, but it gets old quickly in normal city driving from one traffic light to another becomes silly. I preferred tour in stop and go traffic. On highway like said before, sport was my preference in order to stop hearing supercharger whine. It felt that after 800 km engine was getting more responsive and with more power. Difficult to say if claims about 400 hp are correct ? GTS feel definetly stronger, but it maybe due to fact that Emira has so linear power delivery. For me engine was not suprise, as I have owned Exige for 9 years and knew well what to expect ?

Where Emira is strongest, is its steering. Again feels much like Exige, but with added comfort of power steering. Its very informative, you can feel exactly whats happening under front wheels, turn in is sharp and precice. GTS steering is actually heavier, but there is not much communication between road and your hands. Makes driving Emira such an occasion, like you have road directly unders your palms. Ultimately GTS has more front grip, but it doesn't matter, Emira is better by mile here.

Few words about the route I took and overall verdict. from Mendig I went down to Freiburg, about 500 km trip. Revisited road #500 from Baden-Baden to south based on good memories from 15 years back. Dissapointingly, its now with 50 kmh speed limit, like in so many cases with good driving roads. Most towns there have now 30 kmh limit and lots of cameras, so I dont think I will return to Schwartswald for driving.

Next day started from SW corner of Germany and after another 500 km finished in SE corner, at Brechtesgaden. Most of the way I followed route called: https://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/alpine-road This I can reccommend, lots of nice curvy stretches and good quality roads passing nice alpine villages.

View attachment 10099

Didnt stop much for pictures, there wasnt many suitable places. Here is just one with world famous Neuschwanstein castle in background.

View attachment 10100

View attachment 10101

As summary, I have made lots of comparison with Porsche, some of it not favourable to Emira. It does not mean that I would prefer one over another - they are cars with complitely different backgrounds and philosphy how to do things. Porsche manufactures 60 000 sport cars every year, has dominated on racetracks for 50+ years up to present and has might of VAG group behind it. Lotus probably struggles to push even 1000 out of its gates this year. Rationally P car wins, but emotionally I would say Emira is better. And I bought Emira based on emotion. It looks like supermodel, has exotic construction, but is actually analog and kind of oldschool, its flaws are not that significant and I'm driving something very rare, almoust hand made by tiny company with lots of heritage.

Thanks for reading.
You my friend are a star. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Thanks for this write up and highlighting the differences which you perceive between the two cars. The Deutsche Alpenstrasse looks good and will be on my driving route to the south.

View attachment 10099

View attachment 10100

View attachment 10101

Thanks for reading.
Tremendous writeup and thanks for taking the time Ott to pull this together. Congratulations and many thanks again.

Not making it any easier deciding between Emira or GTS/Spyder :unsure: 😂
Great insights though (and pictures)
Thank you
I got the same impression and that seems to come across in most reviews, Spyder aside.
Emira - great looks , non special engine - Porsche - average looks, special engine - Interior equal in my mind.
Steering Lotus, Manual gear change - Porsche.

Don't drive a GTS or Spyder and you live in perfect ignorance that the Emira is the best car - That's where i am at the moment, ignorance until a test drive of an Emira.

I got the same impression and that seems to come across in most reviews, Spyder aside.
Emira - great looks , non special engine - Porsche - average looks, special engine - Interior equal in my mind.

Don't drive a GTS or Spyder and you live in perfect ignorance that the Emira is the best car - That's where i am at the moment, ignorance until a test drive of an Emira.
Yup and as stated million times before I'm a 'not too bothered about a cars looks kinda guy' sooo.....
And I can take the roof off which may be the deciding factor

Emiras engine is very similar to Exige V6, pedal response in sport mode is good and it pulls strong from low revs. Just when revs go higher not much is changing, its very linear and therefore not that exciting. Rev limiter is low, but its even not worth to go all out, rather take next gear and ride on torque. It does its work, but no theatre and no drama. You hear little supercharger noise and in sport mode exhaust sounds nice. Not loud, but you can hear that V6 clearly. Default should be sport, because on tour throttle response is lazy and exhaust is quiet. Sport sharpens things up. What I didn't like much about sport is that Lotus has programmed bangs and pops while letting of throttle. Sounds good at first, but it gets old quickly in normal city driving from one traffic light to another and becomes silly. I preferred tour in stop and go traffic. On highway like said before, sport was my preference in order to stop hearing supercharger whine. It felt that after 800 km engine was getting more responsive and with more power. Difficult to say if claims about 400 hp are correct ? GTS feels definetly stronger, but it maybe due to fact that Emira has linear power delivery. For me engine was not suprise, as I have owned Exige for 9 years and knew well what to expect ?

Where Emira is strongest, is its steering. Again feels much like Exige, but with added comfort of power steering. Its very informative, you can feel exactly whats happening under front wheels, turn in is sharp and precice. GTS steering is heavier, but there is not much communication between road and your hands. Makes driving Emira such an occasion, like you have road directly unders your palms. Ultimately GTS has more front grip, but Emira is better by mile unless you are doing trackday and chase laptime.

Few words about the route I took and overall verdict. From Mendig I went down to Freiburg, about 500 km trip. Revisited road #500 from Baden-Baden to south based on good memories from 15 years back. Dissapointingly, its now with 50 kmh speed limit, like in so many cases with good driving roads. Most towns there have now 30 kmh limit and lots of cameras, so I dont think I will return to Schwartswald for driving.

Next day started from SW corner of Germany and after another 500 km finished in SE corner, in Brechtesgaden. Most of the way I followed route called: https://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/alpine-road This I can reccommend, lots of nice curvy stretches and good quality roads passing through alpine villages.

View attachment 10099

Didn't stop for pictures, there wasnt that many suitable places. Here is just one with world famous Neuschwanstein castle in background.

View attachment 10100

View attachment 10101

As summary, I have made lots of comparison with Porsche, some of it not favourable to Emira. It does not mean that I would prefer one over another - they are cars with different backgrounds and philosphy. Porsche manufactures 60 000 sport cars every year, has dominated racetracks for 50+ years up to present and has might of VAG group behind it. Lotus probably struggles to push even 1000 out of its gates this year. Rationally P car wins, but emotionally I would say Emira offers more. And I bought Emira based on emotion. It looks like supermodel, has exotic construction, but is actually analog and kind of oldschool. Its flaws are not that significant and I'm driving something very rare, almoust hand made by tiny company with lots of heritage.

Thanks for reading.
Thank-you for the comparison to the GTS. Having owned a Spyder, My choice was either going back to the 718 or moving onto the Emira. I will need to drive one myself to feel the differences to finally make that decision. I was hoping the Emira would feel a little more alive in the low-end compared to the 718's 4.0's. Have you driven a manual 718 4.0 before? ( I know that your current GTS is PDK) The PDK is such a good transmission that I would imagine it would have a great effect on the perception of power and quickness, especially in the bottom of the rev range.

Let's face facts,Porsche is better built,more solid and reliable and has a good rep,dull(ish) unique engine Note (718 certainly-ive had 981)

Lotus Emira has upped its game to look the part, engine sounds great,not known for reliability and solid builds.

But I kinda like that,safe is boring, if you aren't worried your car is going to kill you/break your heart-are you really in love with it??

Head says Porsche,
wallet says Porsche,
My impatience says Porsche,
heart says Lotus.

Porkers are a dime a dozen,Emira will be eventually unfortunately, but for now I'll be kinda unique (and wait for the final edition before I change)

My TT is built like brick s house. I def can’t go backwards in solidity.
Not a single rattle or wiper problem in 6 years 66k

Rationally P car wins, but emotionally I would say Emira offers more. And I bought Emira based on emotion. It looks like supermodel, has exotic construction, but is actually analog and kind of oldschool. Its flaws are not that significant and I'm driving something very rare, almoust hand made by tiny company with lots of heritage.

Well said. 👏🏼

My TT is built like brick s house. I def can’t go backwards in solidity.
Not a single rattle or wiper problem in 6 years 66k
I hope that Emira will be trouble free based on experience with Exige. Zero problems and it is also early car from start of production. Done 70 k. km, mostly on track and pushing hard. And its tuned from 350 to 460 hp. Sure, never skimped on (preventive) maintenance.

BTW. someone asked about Komotec parts for Emira. Saw some of what they are developing, several nice upgrades will be released soon. Can't give details, but similar like they offer for other models.

Found I have also picture of underbody, its nice and flat.

IMG_5748.JPG

Tried all positions, it has 2 constant speeds in addition to auto. Yes it has sensor and after reset auto function worked properly, switching by itself between speeds depending on rain intensity.
Some system are speed sensitive… would that be the same here?

Thank-you for the comparison to the GTS. Having owned a Spyder, My choice was either going back to the 718 or moving onto the Emira. I will need to drive one myself to feel the differences to finally make that decision. I was hoping the Emira would feel a little more alive in the low-end compared to the 718's 4.0's. Have you driven a manual 718 4.0 before? ( I know that your current GTS is PDK) The PDK is such a good transmission that I would imagine it would have a great effect on the perception of power and quickness, especially in the bottom of the rev range.
Haven't driven manual and agree about PDK, it makes very good use of engine capabilities. My Emira is still new, maybe it feels bit stronger after about 3 k km.

Let's face facts,Porsche is better built,more solid and reliable and has a good rep,dull(ish) unique engine Note (718 certainly-ive had 981)

Lotus Emira has upped its game to look the part, engine sounds great,not known for reliability and solid builds.

But I kinda like that,safe is boring, if you aren't worried your car is going to kill you/break your heart-are you really in love with it??

Head says Porsche,
wallet says Porsche,
My impatience says Porsche,
heart says Lotus.

Porkers are a dime a dozen,Emira will be eventually unfortunately, but for now I'll be kinda unique (and wait for the final edition before I change)
Not sure the build integrity at Porsche is better. Two reasons, firstly we have no idea of the Emira build integrity, and secondly, 4 out of 5 Porsche cars I have had major warranty claims, one 911 had the engine out and rebuild etc and my 918 GT4 had the dash assembly replaced (which took 6 months for parts) and a 911 had the brake master cylinder explode with instant loss of brakes, plus a Boxster had the clutch fail with the car immobile on a roundabout!

Yes, I know, I will get a Friday Emira, lol.

Not sure the build integrity at Porsche is better. Two reasons, firstly we have no idea of the Emira build integrity, and secondly, 4 out of 5 Porsche cars I have had major warranty claims, one 911 had the engine out and rebuild etc and my 918 GT4 had the dash assembly replaced (which took 6 months for parts) and a 911 had the brake master cylinder explode with instant loss of brakes, plus a Boxster had the clutch fail with the car immobile on a roundabout!

Yes, I know, I will get a Friday Emira, lol.
Agree. Modern Porsches are not the bulletproof cars that urban myth dictates. Fortunately you can extend their warranty up to 15 years... and you will need it.

Tell me of one single engine or transmission replacement required under warranty in a v6 Evora or Exige? 🤷‍♂️

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back