• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

On-the-road Costs - am i missing something?

Are you saying total Tax out the door in the UK is only 1900? Consider yourself lucky if that is the case... It will be $6500 here in the US for just Tax (varies by state) then we have all the other fun stuff.. .usually some sort of "destination charge" which I paid $1500 on my Alfa Romeo and the dealer usually tacks on some sort of "dealer fee" of ~$500... im sure there are other "fees". Hope that makes you feel a bit better. Oh, we pay $181 per year also for license fee on every car.
Its a good point/question. For the UK, VAT being 20% means the car minus all tax (and Im not good at maths so depends how you work out VAT!) but of £76k, c£15k of that is VAT. (base price)
On top is the car road tax/first year based on CO2 and then delivery charges etc making it a £79k car.

We are quire lucky in the UK (not sure for how long), Italy and France I understand have extortionate taxes on new cars especially if high CO2.

My gut feel is they are trying to recoup some profit. Inflation has been higher than expected and they set the car cost early on.
I'm expecting the car to be delivered by Scarlett Johansson for that money
Sorry Nick,

i've already reserved Scarlett in that price

I really hope factory collection is an option , this will be the first brand new Lotus car I have purchased , the other Lotus cars i’ve have all been second hand. As a car mad 12 year old , I wrote to various car manufacturers asking for brochures etc, Lotus wrote back and sent brochures (Elite, Eclat etc) to collect my car from Hethel would make the dream come true 45 years later !

I smell a salesmanship rat here.

I agree with the posts finding this to be extortion. the tax element you will never avoid but the other details are a joke. egging the pudding me thinks.

Lotus should be informed of this displeasure.

I opt fr a collection from factory option and would happily delay for a mass exidous of EMIRA cars

I smell a salesmanship rat here.

I agree with the posts finding this to be extortion. the tax element you will never avoid but the other details are a joke. egging the pudding me thinks.

Lotus should be informed of this displeasure.

I opt fr a collection from factory option and would happily delay for a mass exidous of EMIRA cars
Now that would look cool.

We have $3000 dealer delivery fee down under.

Our taxes are compound taxes. To start with there's UK import duty (5%) + GST (like VAT) (10%) + Luxury Car Tax (33%) + Stamp Duty (7-9% depending on where you live). Then the $3K dealer delivery fee is on top - to basically get an apprentice to wash your car and affix a registration plate and pocket the difference.

Yes we get hard done by every step of the way! 😭

Our taxes are compound taxes. To start with there's UK import duty (5%) + GST (like VAT) (10%) + Luxury Car Tax (33%) + Stamp Duty (7-9% depending on where you live). Then the $3K dealer delivery fee is on top - to basically get an apprentice to wash your car and affix a registration plate and pocket the difference.

Wow.....and I thought Canadian taxes were high.
Looks like we all are going to get screwed tax wise by our incompetent governments.

Chap, this might be common knoweldge

Ouch

It might include an autoglym kit (our new id3 did, which seemed like a thinly veiled excuse to help justify the £300 for delivery and pdi.)

Either way it does feel a bit Ryanair for a premium brand/car to be overcharging for it, unless there’s something of actual value as yet to be revealed.

Don’t all new Porsches come with the offer of a no cost trackday? Go on Lotus ;)

It might include an autoglym kit (our new id3 did, which seemed like a thinly veiled excuse to help justify the £300 for delivery and pdi.)

Either way it does feel a bit Ryanair for a premium brand/car to be overcharging for it, unless there’s something of actual value as yet to be revealed.

Don’t all new Porsches come with the offer of a no cost trackday? Go on Lotus ;)
They do and so does Landrover, well off road half day.

Am i missing something? Or is this one of the easter eggs that Tom and co are not allowed to tell us about....
No, we weren't told about this at all. We talked about the new direct sales model, the changing role of the dealer/agent and some of the main financial implications for the agents. We talked about deliveries via dealers and direct to customers, but not the costs. We talked about Lotus doing all the first registrations.

£500 sounds like a tour and 1/2 day driving experience at Hethel on pickup of the car - and a lunch at the canteen :)
lets hope someone of influence (hint hint) can suggest this
Lotus are looking into doing a collect from factory option. They asked us for our opinions, we said it would be very popular and we talked about what it might include.

There may be one or more versions of it. It might just be collect and be briefed on controls/infotainment/etc then drive away or there might be a "platinum" option to include factory tour, Classic Team Lotus tour, driving experience with an instructor as well. They're looking into what would be involved - with 100 cars a week being built it's potentially a big undertaking.

To give some idea of what it might cost, the Lotus Driving Academy (pre Covid) offered a factory tour and a few laps passenger experience for about £150-200, and the Bronze Licence (the first level of driver training) was about £300.

I think the Porsche equivalent to what people are suggesting as a collect/tour/drive day is about £500?

I really hope factory collection is an option , this will be the first brand new Lotus car I have purchased , the other Lotus cars i’ve have all been second hand. As a car mad 12 year old , I wrote to various car manufacturers asking for brochures etc, Lotus wrote back and sent brochures (Elite, Eclat etc) to collect my car from Hethel would make the dream come true 45 years later !
I actually did this myself as a child too,they sent me brochures of the first elise and exige

If they can cope with the demand, something factory based, be it a tour and even if it was several laps in the car under some instruction it would really add to the handover.

Land Rover even gives 1/2 day experience with their second hand sales, given the volumes they sell, Lotus could probably ramp up some facilities for the relatively low volume of sales? Porsche do a factory collection/tour/handover and lunch etc, plus in the UK a Silverstone driving experience in your model which is great.

If they can cope with the demand, something factory based, be it a tour and even if it was several laps in the car under some instruction it would really add to the handover.
Well, £1000 per car OTR cost, 100 cars per week, that is £100,000 per week or well over £5 million per year. I'd hope they can do a fair bit of coping for that :)