P2098 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean

Time2Fly

2024 DV FE Owner
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This came on eighty miles after my oil change. Not sure that it's related but....

ODB2 lists the code as permanent and confirmed. I don't see this listed anywhere else on the forum.
1000028040.png

Check if fuel trims jump around while idling
What do you mean by that? It idles smoothly. And after warmup it settles at .5

1000028041.png

On the other hand why does O2 Sensor 1 read 0.0?
@Kimmax

Last edited:
What do you mean by that? It idles smoothly. And after warmup it settles at .5

View attachment 52910

On the other hand why does O2 Sensor 1 read 0.0?
@Kimmax
Try „CarScanner" from the AppStore.

Go to Live Data -> Combined -> Deselect all (top right button), search for O2 Voltage and enable both. Press OK to plot a graph.

Zoom out a little. Let the car idle, AirCon off. Don’t touch the gas. Let the car run 5 minutes or something before. About one minute should be enough on the screenshot.Post Screenshot :)

Go to Live Data -> Combined -> Deselect all (top right button), search for O2 Voltage and enable both. Press OK to plot a graph.

Zoom out a little. Let the car idle, AirCon off. Don’t touch the gas. Let the car run 5 minutes or something before. About one minute should be enough on the screenshot.Post Screenshot :)
@Kimmax, could you please take a screenshot of the Application in the App Store (couldn’t find anything that exactly matches your description) and confirm what OBD scanner/hardware you would use with this Application?

I need to get myself an OBD scanner, so your suggestion would be very much appreciated (y):)

Many thanks

This doesn't look normal.
1000028050.png

1000028051.png

Current problem is I need to drive to work later, and at the moment this is my only car. Is this safe to drive? @Kimmax

@lynchy73
1000028052.png

Could be a bad O2 sensor or harness. They use voltage to measure mixture. Low voltage is interpreted as a lean condition.

It could also be a vacuum leak, injectors or fuel pressure, but we already know our O2 sensors are finicky so I’d lean towards that.

I’ve driven like 500 miles on bad o2 sensors on my Emira before they were changed out by the LOL. The dealer said it was fine to do that until the new sensors showed up

Get them checked by your dealer. Mine were destroyed by water ingress near the ECU.

You can drive like this. The car should detect something wrong and switch to open loop. If it acts up or has resistant throttle response you can try giving wide throttle input and "power through". In my case this seemed to help the ECU understand something wrong and put it in open loop. After that the car worked "normally" until I restarted.

Dealer also told me it's fine to drive, but trust your gut. If you think it's running too rough better park it and try again after a few minutes. Remember you can also give it to a dealer to fix and demand a loaner for the time being. The loaner is probably not provided by the dealer itself, you'll have to call the roadside assistance number. Don't let them tell you it won't work because it wasn't towed - keep pressing and demand one. Been there and done that 5-6 times now. That's in Germany however so your mileage might vary.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back