• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Painting the shifter knob markings

Ughh..tried n paint went all over n cleaning attempt just smeared it more... fck... I ll do a clear lacquer or super glue on top but clear probably easier to clean up then super glue...

Attachments

• 20240803_200113.jpg
    20240803_200113.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 77
Ughh..tried n paint went all over n cleaning attempt just smeared it more... fck... I ll do a clear lacquer or super glue on top but clear probably easier to clean up then super glue...
Use paint thinner and a q tip to clean up the extra paint

My buddy with a Magma Emira painted his. The polish on the Emira knob is different than the Evoras. The Emira one stained very easily and was a pain to clean. There's still a little red staining on the knob but it should come off with normal use.

1000026118.jpg

Did you use modeler enamel? I wonder if a felt tip permanent ink marker pen could be used.

I wonder if this would be easier to apply using a syringe? I see McMaster has stainless tips in various diameters. Similar to how you’d apply solder paste (for SMT PCBs). Seems like it could be a good way to fill.
I’ve got epoxy screen printing inks at work in black & red which should hold up much better than enamel. Mistake might be a real bummer though..

I stained my Emira gear knob as well, however it's faint and not that noticeable to anyone but me and my spouse (who tried helping) and suspect it'll completely disappear with use, as others have suggested.

A few things I found helpful with the second coat (having learned from the first):

-I used a VERY thin tip brush, with just a tiny dab of paint on the end each time. These brushes are more costly, but worth it IMO for this job.
-I used 2 separate brushes: one for red and the other for black (knowing I'd reuse them in future, for touch-ups).
-I was much more patient so I took my time: more "dabs" = less edge errors.
-I frequently changed the angle of the knob while painting, to catch the small ends of the grooves which had no paint in them.
-I also used a large magnifying glass my spouse had in her craft room, with a good light above it. My eyesight not being what it used to be, it was more helpful when guiding my brush tip directly into the number/letter grooves.
-I was much more patient so I took more time (I know I know, but it's worth repeating).

Second time was the charm for me...and yes: using paint thinner to get rid of the misses, worked OK...especially when put on the end of a Q-tip, with that Q-tip reduced in thickness (I pulled its edge apart) to better clean inbetween the numbers/letter.

If you told me I'd be posting these type of suggestions for such a small mod, I would have thought you were nuts. My spouse thinks I am and maybe she's right (she usually is; lol). That said, I like the end result and suspect you will too.

That looks really good! Seneca exterior?

Good idea...super glue....
I’d like to see this done and hear how easy it is to clean off.
Does anyone know if the gear stknob can be lightly abrasive cleaned or do they have a finish that can be damaged?

I wonder if this would be easier to apply using a syringe? I see McMaster has stainless tips in various diameters. Similar to how you’d apply solder paste (for SMT PCBs). Seems like it could be a good way to fill.
I’ve got epoxy screen printing inks at work in black & red which should hold up much better than enamel. Mistake might be a real bummer though..

I'm trying this today as I need to re-touch it.

Not sure if a 25 gauge needle will flow enamel paint tho.

It's easy. But you want to use enamel paint. I got mine from Michael's along with a tiny brush. Do the black parts first, let dry, and then the color parts so the black doesn't accidentally get mixed in. I use a tissue and some alcohol to gently wipe the excess. You'll want to do multiple coats to fill the grooves.

I actually just redid mine a couple days ago...

View attachment 48426

View attachment 48427
Love this! Testor's enamel! Takes me back to my youth building and painting scale models! Very well done.

Well, I’m quite confident I would find a way to smear and ruin this relatively simple mod with my unsteady hand. It looks great though, so count me in for a shifter knob exchange program should some entrepreneur decide they want to do this.
yup, i did and smeared it out side... what worked best was an electronic component cleaner to wipe the paint off; better than paint thinner and alcohol...

Back