• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Painting the shifter knob markings

Love this! Testor's enamel! Takes me back to my youth building and painting scale models! Very well done.
yours is done perfectly.... damn nice.... did you spray clear lacquer on top of your shifter ?n it's got a glossy sheen to it... , i was thinking of spraying mine so that the paint won't come off....i already noticed that there was some lightening of the paint in the numbers 4 especially.... and overspray of lacquer will just eventually come off with my hand rubbing over the top surface anyway eventually.... ?!?

I'm trying this today as I need to re-touch it.

Not sure if a 25 gauge needle will flow enamel paint tho.

20 gauge needle will flow but the needle is too big for clean application.

25 gauge needle is too small to suck in paint, however i used a needle bottle adapter and just filled some paint into the bottle and then pushed through some paint with bottle squeeze, it works but it is hard to control flow rate.

I think testors enamel paint is too thick for this technique to be an easy application for most people, it will still require cleanup.

Attachments

• IMG_3473.jpeg
    IMG_3473.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 25
You can add thinner to the testers enamel paint to thin it out

I simply did mine with two coats of some type of paint I found in the craft section at Walmart that was like $2 per bottle. I dabbed it in with a toothpick, wiped off the big excess with a cloth lightly dampened with alcohol on it, and then after it had dried, I lightly scrubbed it with a soft Brillo pad to remove the smears.
20240622_121805.jpg

Last edited:
I ll dry 23G needle.. ..
What's the best to keep it from wearing off ? Was thinking of spraying the top with clear lacquer ?

Are you all doing this in situ or are you taking it off first?

Back