• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Parking brake service message & wont start - how many others with this issue

What message are you getting on the display when it won’t start
I don't get any message. It just doesn't start.
There seem to be so many different versions of the issue (or different but similar ones). Mine had parking brake error message before it every time. Now fine having gone back to previous software version

Always getting the parking brake error

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-19 at 11.17.13.jpeg

Without getting out:
  1. Open door
  2. Close door
  3. Lock
  4. Wait 2mins
  5. Unlock
  6. Wait a few seconds until the display activates
  7. Open door
  8. Close door
  9. Should start now 🎉

No error messages but the engine warning light comes on.
When did you have the last software update? If you have the amber engine light on the dash it sounds similar. If it was just your change in starting method I think it would work fine next time you did a normal button push. Sounds like the control module not waking up. I haven’t heard of a fix for this yet but worth chasing the dealer. Mine has been fine since reverting to the old software

When did you have the last software update? If you have the amber engine light on the dash it sounds similar. If it was just your change in starting method I think it would work fine next time you did a normal button push. Sounds like the control module not waking up. I haven’t heard of a fix for this yet but worth chasing the dealer. Mine has been fine since reverting to the old software
No software updates since delivery, I’m due to go in to Silverstone next month for a raft of updates.

It’s really annoying there’s not an info page on the UI that lists software versions, pretty sure my XC60 has that.

Mine was a late June / early July build

While it seems it happens more often / regularly with the latest update the bug has been there since at least April. I've attached video proof somewhere in this thread.

There seem to be so many different versions of the issue (or different but similar ones). Mine had parking brake error message before it every time. Now fine having gone back to previous software version
I used to get the handbrake warning pre update, now for variety it's the SOS warning

No software updates since delivery, I’m due to go in to Silverstone next month for a raft of updates.

It’s really annoying there’s not an info page on the UI that lists software versions, pretty sure my XC60 has that.

What you describe highlights the mystery of this whole area. Seems unclear why you have started having these issues. Also each person seems to have slightly different issues and all in all suggests there is inherent instability/ a lack of understanding at Lotus of what’s going on in this area. More annoying than no info page is why they didn’t use the electronic tech from the. Volvo - my wife’s XC90 had never failed to start or have a random error message in years of driving it.

I'm due to finally get my Emira on Friday 27th October. Having read through this thread and a good few others on the Forum, it's more trepidation than excitement I'm feeling at the moment!

Picking mine up from Silverstone tomorrow after updates so I will let you know. They have had the car three weeks working on warranty issues and I have been assured that they have had no issues with non starting on any of their daily moves around the dealership. We will see.......

I bought an OBD reader to check the error code that’s come up, it’s U0121 which is lost CANbus comms with the ABS braking ECU. I think that’s the symptom of the sequencing problem as after the old turn it off and on again procedure it starts and drives fine with no brake errors.

I bought an OBD reader to check the error code that’s come up, it’s U0121 which is lost CANbus comms with the ABS braking ECU. I think that’s the symptom of the sequencing problem as after the old turn it off and on again procedure it starts and drives fine with no brake errors.
What reader are you using? Never managed to read that code

I like my car still, but it would be helpful to have an obd scanner that can read and delete all issues properly in first line (most issues seem to be caused by unstable electricity) . I searched all threads and it seems that all of you use different scanners, so I actually don't know which one to buy. If I ask the dealer I always get the same answer: "this device will not work with your Lotus Emira"...
Maybe the functionality of the different scanners also has something to do with the currently installed Emira-software, so that the scanners work on one Emira and not on the other?

Last edited:
I like my car still, but it would be helpful to have an obd scanner that can read and delete all issues properly in first line (most issues seem to be caused by unstable electricity) . I searched all threads and it seems that all of you use different scanners, so I actually don't know which one to buy. If I ask the dealer I always get the same answer: "this device will not work with your Lotus Emira"...
Maybe the functionality of the different scanners also has something to do with the currently installed Emira-software, so that the scanners work on one Emira and not on the other?
Every geneic scanner supporting the OBD II standard will be able to read the generic codes. Lotus itself has access to all the information and tools using Lotus Insight. Yes you won’t be able to read all codes, but you’ll be able to read enough to make quick decisions.

Every geneic scanner supporting the OBD II standard will be able to read the generic codes. Lotus itself has access to all the information and tools using Lotus Insight. Yes you won’t be able to read all codes, but you’ll be able to read enough to make quick decisions.
Thanks for answer. Yes, the common issues can be read by most cheap scanners. But there are some scanners (even for Lotus) that are able to read more than issues caused by engine (most scanners can), and I still cannot decide which is the best scanner to buy.

Thanks for answer. Yes, the common issues can be read by most cheap scanners. But there are some scanners (even for Lotus) that are able to read more than issues caused by engine (most scanners can), and I still cannot decide which is the best scanner to buy.
I doubt there are any special ones for Emira. I'd loved to be proved wrong tho!

I’m going in to Silverstone on Friday. I’ll let you know what they say.

Although the techs at the service points don’t know what all the software fixes they apply will actually do.

Back