• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Parking sensors going off in stop and go traffic

Anyone experience their parking sensors going off in stop and go traffic? For me it's always the LHD driver front sensor that triggers. It doesn't happen all the time, but happens enough to be slightly annoying. I believe it's detecting a car in the front because it has happened with no car on my left. Ironically, the last Honda Odyssey I owned also had a similar issue, but in that case, it was completely phantom - I could be sitting by myself in a large empty lot and it would beep at me. I largely lived with it because it's impossible to replicate reliably.
I have not run into that issue yet. But I saw another YouTube video with an owner in Las Vegas having the same left front driver-side sensor acting the same issue. at 12:28 on the video. Take a look.

Yes, mine has the same issue. It is currently being addressed as we speak (today) at Lotus of Dallas. I will post an update after I pick the car up today with the cause and correction.
Just got the car back. They did 8 software updates that were available (apparently the dealer I purchased from, not Dallas, didn't do these before shipping). The issue is still there, but I think its because I thought it was the side sensor and not the front so maybe they didn't test or calibrate. Will take it back when time permits for a second try, sorry I wasn't able to get you guys an answer on this one.

Just got the car back. They did 8 software updates that were available (apparently the dealer I purchased from, not Dallas, didn't do these before shipping). The issue is still there, but I think its because I thought it was the side sensor and not the front so maybe they didn't test or calibrate. Will take it back when time permits for a second try, sorry I wasn't able to get you guys an answer on this one.
What issues were you experiencing to take it to the dealer other than the sensor?

What issues were you experiencing to take it to the dealer other than the sensor?
No other issues, I was there to get the car Ceramic Coated. Other than the sensor issue, the car has been trouble free for 1500 miles so far.

Same in mine , sometimes but not often. It’s worse when it’s wet. My bmw m4 did the same occasionally but my wife’s newer bmw does not.

Yes, same story. Dealer fixed it by slightly bending the sensor a little more to the left I think. Supposedly it was bouncing off the front plate. Hasn’t happened since and sensor still works as intended of course.

Anyone experience their parking sensors going off in stop and go traffic? For me it's always the LHD driver front sensor that triggers. It doesn't happen all the time, but happens enough to be slightly annoying. I believe it's detecting a car in the front because it has happened with no car on my left. Ironically, the last Honda Odyssey I owned also had a similar issue, but in that case, it was completely phantom - I could be sitting by myself in a large empty lot and it would beep at me. I largely lived with it because it's impossible to replicate reliably.
Driver side front on my Land River does that sometimes. A good cleaning usually shuts it up for a few months. I figure the British sensors are just super finicky

Yes,my sensor sounds whenever it wants wth no other devices around.
Also problem with ignition system. Doesn’t start!! Have to get out of car;lock it; wait 2/3 mins and try again. Doesn’t always start and do it all again!
Higher embarrassing to say the least. Has been back at Lotus now for another 5 weeks on top of being back at Lotus for poor paint job and respray for over 4 MONTHS!!! Totally shit quality control; completely disgusted with absolutely terrible customer care. No reaching out to customer. I have had to chase everything up!!! As Lotus hardly contacted me at all. I received £12000 financial compensation for the paint debacle and will be claiming further compo for this latest round of complete inapptitude. Totally rubbish company in all aspects and will never buy another. I will also urge anyone I know to avoid them at all costs!!

Following up - has the cause of this issue been discovered? My right front sensor goes off several times each time I stop at a traffic light, no matter if there is a car in front of me or not. It's driving me crazy.

My S600 and my G80 do this CONSTANTLY, to the point that turning off the parking sensors at start-up is in my muscle memory. Oddly, my BMW and my Miata do not do this...but the S600 is so bad that it will pretty much constantly squawk at any point while driving at parking lot speeds.

This isn't a uniquely Lotus thing, obviously, but it's quite annoying in many, but not all, modern cars. I don't know why some sensors seem to filter errant frequencies better than others.

Following up - has the cause of this issue been discovered? My right front sensor goes off several times each time I stop at a traffic light, no matter if there is a car in front of me or not. It's driving me crazy.
Mine does the same thing and it's absolutely annoying. I'm nearing my 1K miles so will wait to have the dealer look at it when I have my oil changed then.

My S600 and my G80 do this CONSTANTLY, to the point that turning off the parking sensors at start-up is in my muscle memory. Oddly, my BMW and my Miata do not do this...but the S600 is so bad that it will pretty much constantly squawk at any point while driving at parking lot speeds.

This isn't a uniquely Lotus thing, obviously, but it's quite annoying in many, but not all, modern cars. I don't know why some sensors seem to filter errant frequencies better than others.
Oh that sucks - given what I've experienced just with my Emira, I'm sorry you have the same issue on several cars. I've never had front sensors in my previous cars, but I feel for you. :( Having said that, this is my first Lotus, I love the car, but this one quirk is driving me mad.

I'm left wondering...Is it a software issue; do they need to adjust the threshold numbers for what constitutes a "positive" response from the sensor? Is it a defective hardware issue concerning the sensors? Is it an implementation issue and the sensors aren't pointed at the right angles to be accurate?

My second test drive car at dealer did that several times during the drive. Nothing around or nearby either. Very annoying especially on your own car.
Yes, me too, along with MAJOR PAINT PROBLEMS: MAJOR IGNITION PROBLEM: WATER LEAKS:
The vehicle has been back at the dealers for5 months for paint correction and nearly ten weeks for ignition problem. Not to mention other problems. I am in dialogue with Lotuscars now regarding future ownership. Up from cash buyer!! Shocking customer care. One month running car in; seven months back at dealers; I’ve used the car for 3 out of the 11 months( in the winter!!) that I have had it!!!!! Truly shocking!!!!

Oh that sucks - given what I've experienced just with my Emira, I'm sorry you have the same issue on several cars. I've never had front sensors in my previous cars, but I feel for you. :( Having said that, this is my first Lotus, I love the car, but this one quirk is driving me mad.

I'm left wondering...Is it a software issue; do they need to adjust the threshold numbers for what constitutes a "positive" response from the sensor? Is it a defective hardware issue concerning the sensors? Is it an implementation issue and the sensors aren't pointed at the right angles to be accurate?

I always assumed it was frequency filtration (kind of like the old X-band radar detectors and the grocery store sliding doors)...It never occurred to me that it could be a sensor angle issue. Interesting! That's possible.

The G80 appears to hate specific things more than others and will especially beep in the presence of an Escalade, for example, but will also occasionally and randomly sense phantom objects when completely by itself. The S600 hates everyone and everything, all the time, without fail. Thank goodness it has a physical defeat button for the sensors, but it's almost out of reach on the dash and requires a stretch every time I start the car.

Yes, same story. Dealer fixed it by slightly bending the sensor a little more to the left I think. Supposedly it was bouncing off the front plate. Hasn’t happened since and sensor still works as intended of course.
Nobody read this? Or no one wants to fix it just rant? :LOL:

Nobody read this? Or no one wants to fix it just rant? :LOL:
No front plate on my other cars that do this (rear only plates in my state), so I'll update if the behavior is similar when I get the Emira...981 days now. I would be interested to hear from the front plate folks vs. the no front plate folks.

No front plate on my other cars that do this (rear only plates in my state), so I'll update if the behavior is similar when I get the Emira...981 days now. I would be interested to hear from the front plate folks vs. the no front plate folks.
Same here, no front plate, so this solution doesn't seem applicable to me, or at best seems like a workaround to the real problem. Not ranting...

Ah yes checks out for the clean fronts