• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Parking sensors going off in stop and go traffic

Which ones are we talking about? The "corner" sensors (boxed in green) or the "front" sensors (circled in red) ?

1723155087409.png

Well, the plot thickens. While reading the manual, I noticed there is another area highlighted as having radar aside from the visible circular sensors, and it does note that PPF can affect it (on a previous page). Note the red area on the left and right of the bumper here. I thought this was just a control unit or module, but then I noticed it says to keep it clean. Any ideas if this combined with PPF could be an issue?

1723408530550.png

Well, the plot thickens. While reading the manual, I noticed there is another area highlighted as having radar aside from the visible circular sensors, and it does note that PPF can affect it (on a previous page). Note the red area on the left and right of the bumper here. I thought this was just a control unit or module, but then I noticed it says to keep it clean. Any ideas if this combined with PPF could be an issue?

View attachment 49446

On all US cars so far (first edition) there is nothing there. I know the area you’re talking about and the bumper has a recess for it but there’s no module present. Many of us put the Miltek valve controller module in that spot.

I have been having front driver side sensor issues since day 1 (dealer tried to address it during delivery via a full round of software updates unsuccessfully). It is something I learned to live with (for now) by disabling parking sensor after backing out of my driveway (the icon is available on backup camera display) but would be great if they fixed it once and for all. Given that this is a same sensor for many of us I would image this is a software issue rather than a hardware issue (unless something next to that sensor in the bumper is triggering it via radio interference?)

Which ones are we talking about? The "corner" sensors (boxed in green) or the "front" sensors (circled in red) ?

View attachment 49348
IMG_2659.jpeg
For me, it's always seems to be the far right sensor giving false positives. Maybe it's not a problem with the software, as I suspected, b/c this probably would be happening on the left side, as well. 🤔

My memory may be suspect, but I don't ever remember seeing this on the far left side sensor. Will keep monitoring.

Last edited:
For me, it's always seems to be the far right sensor giving false positives. Maybe it's not a problem with the software, as I suspected, b/c this probably would be happening on the left side, as well. 🤔

My memory may be suspect, but I don't ever remember seeing this on the far left side sensor. Will keep monitoring.
False positives have always been on the front left for me, so if we are running the same software, the probability of a hardware issue would be higher. No way for the end user to confirm the software level, so we're all just guessing...

Has anyone tried some sort of vibration damping in the vicinity of the sensors? If there is a vibration close to the operating frequency (50-60Hz ?) it may be causing the sensors to go off.

My Emira has the same issue since day 1. The driver side front sensor beeps on red (the "closest" reading) whenever I stop in traffic or on lights (once every 5 stops or so). Took it to the service center and they fully replaced all the sensors of the car and updated the software... and it's still happening albeit not as often (once every 30 stops or so)
Also, it used to do a full beep for 4 or 5 seconds but now it does a small instant one (less than a second), and I still need to wait for the graphic to auto dismiss.
I'm considering this issue fixed since it rarely ever happens anymore but I'm pretty confident it's a software problem since after replacing all sensors it's the same exact issue with the same exact sensor. I have also noticed a weird new behavior that every single time I pull out of my garage that same sensor beeps maybe half a beep long enough to show the graphic but not long enough to show the red mark of thr sensor on the graphic. Not sure what this is about but it happens every single time. It's usually ok cz that's only once a day as I'm leaving to work. During regular driving though it's very rare now.
Also for what it's worth, the service center told me they've had a lot of the same issue reported and Lotus is aware, didn't give more details.
Otherwise the car is amazing and driving it is a joy, so I'm willing to forgive this as it's the only issue and is happening pretty rarely after the fix.
Hope this helps others!

Oddly, so far, I haven't experienced a false trigger of the proximity sensors on my Emira, but it has occurred occasionally, albeit very infrequently, with my 911.

Mine does it randomly as well when stopped at a stoplight. Sensor on the left front.