• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus Emira battery dies while driving or can it be the alternator?

This has me wondering if Lotus uses the standard toyota alternator, or some exotic european thing. Toyota parts is one of the advantages of this car over a porsche.

This has me wondering if Lotus uses the standard toyota alternator, or some exotic european thing. Toyota parts is one of the advantages of this car over a porsche.
If a Toyota part, they still have to ship it from Michigan so makes me think it is not.

We assume being a Toyota engine it will be more reliable, but for my car it doesn’t seem that way so far ( 2 clutch issues and an alternator)

At this rate, I will sell the car before warranty ends in 3 years unless it is flawless from here on out (highly unlikely) 🤣

The clutch is not toyota. I was surprised at how small the clutch plate is for a 400hp car. I think all the accessories are toyota, as the engine comes complete and then they strip off and throw away everything they want to change. Once warranties start running out, this site could use a parts cross reference for the standard parts that Lotus uses.

Just a silly question, could you this be a software issue? I had two issues with my car, (different time). Loud speaker did not work, and engine does not start. For both, I disconnected the battery for 20seconds and connected it again, issues are gone ..
If you disconnect the battery, do you still have the issue?

Sounds like an alternator issue to me. My BSG on the RS6 broke last year. The car can be jump started but will not run for long. I had dead batteries before. As long as the alternator is working the car can run just fine. Seems to have the same symptoms as the BSG failure.

Sounds like an alternator issue to me. My BSG on the RS6 broke last year. The car can be jump started but will not run for long. I had dead batteries before. As long as the alternator is working the car can run just fine. Seems to have the same symptoms as the BSG failure.
Alternator malfunction

From what I gathered it was a low voltage or amp alternator (140-150) that was likely on the early versions and the newer cars coming with a 180 or 200 A.

Will be getting the upgraded alternator

Alternator malfunction

From what I gathered it was a low voltage or amp alternator (140-150) that was likely on the early versions and the newer cars coming with a 180 or 200 A.

Will be getting the upgraded alternator
Any way to tell what version is on our Emiras w/o having to take it to a mechanic to find out?

Any way to tell what version is on our Emiras w/o having to take it to a mechanic to find out?
I don’t think so unless you remove the back bay and open up the engine compartment. See pics.

My advice would be after a 1,000 miles break in, drive the car hard. Also don’t put on battery tender and let it sit for a few days without driving (like 3-4 days), and rinse and repeat.

I would assume the problem would show up with a 3 year warranty and then you can get it replaced for free.

Maybe the build month might be a clue. Mine was built Nov 2023

Attachments

• IMG_4267.jpeg
    IMG_4267.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4263.jpeg
    IMG_4263.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 30
I don’t think so unless you remove the back bay and open up the engine compartment. See pics.

My advice would be after a 1,000 miles break in, drive the car hard. Also don’t put on battery tender and let it sit for a few days without driving (like 3-4 days), and rinse and repeat.

I would assume the problem would show up with a 3 year warranty and then you can get it replaced for free.

So Lotus Dallas said they have the car ready to go!

What a quick turnaround- in 2 days.

Have to admit they were on top of this on Monday morning and ordered the part and have it running. Thanks to Gio 🙏

Alternator and battery replaced.

So Lotus Dallas said they have the car ready to go!

What a quick turnaround- in 2 days.

Have to admit they were on top of this on Monday morning and ordered the part and have it running. Thanks to Gio 🙏

Alternator and battery replaced.
Dude, that is super quick. I am amazed they got the part so soon.

If the build date is a good indicator, and it certainly seems to be a rational one, I may be out of luck, since, believe it or not, my Emira's build date was also in November, 2023. I installed an Anti-Gravity battery a few months ago and it already died once, but after I used its embedded remote reserve jump starter, it resumed normal operation, I put it on a tender overnight, and it hasn't lost power since then. To be clear, however, my battery seemed to have drained while the car was parked in the garage, and I had associated that drainage with having left the car unlocked or perhaps not having properly closed a door/trunk lid or something else, but now I'm wondering if the alternator's low amp issue was the true culprit.

I'll definitely bring this up, if the battery drains again or on my next scheduled visit to the Lotus dealership which ever occurs first. Thanks for your help.

Dude, that is super quick. I am amazed they got the part so soon.
Yeah Gio is the man!
He ordered it Monday morning.
It is a Toyota part as someone mentioned so easier to get quickly as opposed to a Lotus part which has to come from Hethel

Back