• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Passed required smog but active trouble code shown: U0121

Danny91364USA

Reaction score
Nothing appears on my dashboard and this only came up when I did the smog test.

U0121

Can anyone shed some light?

Anyone else got this? Then again, unless you took it in for a smog test, you may not even know!

DK

It means "lost communication with the anti-lock brake system (ABS) control module" according to the OBD code list. Not sure how or why a smog test would trigger that.

It means "lost communication with the anti-lock brake system (ABS) control module" according to the OBD code list. Not sure how or why a smog test would trigger that.
It was not the test per se, it was the fact they connected the OBDI and saw it. They printed it to show me. Now I have to deal with it...

It was not the test per se, it was the fact they connected the OBDI and saw it. They printed it to show me. Now I have to deal with it...
I wouldn't necessarily worry about it. It just show that it happened once, not that it's a permanent condition. It could have been many things, including a glitch. I would recommend clearing it if you have an OBD2 reader, and keep an eye on it to see if it happens again. If it's a permanent situation, it will flag again right away. These new cars are more complicated than ever before, so it seems they can have momentary glitches when new as they're settling in.

Sounds like you might be talking about a "permanent code"

If so you do not have to do anything about it. It is not an indication that anything is wrong with your car. Just that there was something wrong at one time. The ecu is waiting for similar conditions to test for that code and if it does not see the fault again it will clear the code. Not hurting anything hanging around in there. And since you passed your smog you are set. Enjoy your car.

What state was this?