• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

📓 Journals People's reaction to your Emira

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
After 3 months, some of my favorite interactions.

Yesterday I'm parked on a street, texting in my parking spot. Police cruiser pulls up next to me, signals for me to put my window down. I obliged. Officer says, "Want to trade?"

Cars and Coffee, McLaren sent an employee with a new Artura to display. I checked it out, chatted with the rep a bit. Walked over to my car and a few minutes later the McLaren rep came over to look over the Emira. I said something to the effect of, "I'm not in the McLaren bracket yet". He said, "I probably shouldn't say this but honestly I'd rather have this".

Sitting on a stop light, I hear "Hey McLaren! Light 'em up!"

Pulled up to a place I had to run into for like 30 seconds. Girl in her 30s sitting on the front steps, said "Beautiful car". I said thank you, and walked inside. When I came back out, she said "I really love how the yellow stitching matches the yellow calipers. That was thought about." (Yep!)

Gas pump interaction, pulled next to a beater F350 towing a large cargo trailer. He said, "can I have 5 minutes in that thing? Please?" I said, "You're going to want more".

Construction worker somehow assumed it was more expensive than a Ferrari. He was surprised when I said much less.

Getting the car inspected, pulled into a Euro shop I trust (no Lotus dealers in my state). Another customer there asked if he could take some photos because he had never seen a Lotus in real life and it was "far more beautiful than the pictures do it justice, and it's really nice in the pictures". He pulled a DSLR out of his car and was shooting pics for about 10 minutes.

Guy on a bicycle in full riding kit rolls up next to my open window, "Just so you know, that's my dream car".

Constant compliments on Nimbus Grey.

Top 3 questions I get:
1. Is that thing fast? ("In the corners, yeah")
2. How much does it cost? ("About the same as a Corvette")
3. I'll paraphrase the language on this next one: Does that car get girls? ("Cars don't get girls")

In general, all interactions are really, really positive. The car brings a lot of joy. That was always the case with Elise / Exige but those are more toy like, I wondered if it would stay true for Emira and it has.

View attachment 50125
Loving the McLaren rep's comments. :)

The attention the car gets is a tricky thing for me.

I guess I like the CAR getting attention, but I dont like attention to ME.

I like that people view it as a thing of beauty, but, I dont usually like being attributed with it.
Some would say I am lying, but, its the truth.

In other words, on most occasions, I don't want attention to me. I dont want to be "look at me".

I also don't like talking about it at gas stations and stuff, because, I am very intorverted.

(But, I guess its my fault to buy a car that looks like that).

However, I'll admit it: on some rare occasions I feel pretty cool in it.
Usually in fancy areas where people wont know me (other neighborhoods).

But I am overthinking. I need to be less self conscious about it..

After all, most people don't view me as a some douche in it, most people just seem to love and respect it.

I think its as pretty as a Ferrari (prettier actually) but somehow less ostentatious (mines nimbus).

The bottom line: It turns heads everywhere. And it seems to give a big dopamine spike to people.

So I think it truly brings joy to people just to see such a moving work of art.
Use it as an opportunity to share your passion :)

Be you in your Lotus. I didn't read anything that said Lotus was only for extroverts. I appreciated your story and different take.

You might feel the need to be less self-conscious about it. I might need to be more mindful that a guy with a great car might not be someone like me, happy to talk about it.

After 3 months, some of my favorite interactions.

Yesterday I'm parked on a street, texting in my parking spot. Police cruiser pulls up next to me, signals for me to put my window down. I obliged. Officer says, "Want to trade?"

Cars and Coffee, McLaren sent an employee with a new Artura to display. I checked it out, chatted with the rep a bit. Walked over to my car and a few minutes later the McLaren rep came over to look over the Emira. I said something to the effect of, "I'm not in the McLaren bracket yet". He said, "I probably shouldn't say this but honestly I'd rather have this".

Sitting on a stop light, I hear "Hey McLaren! Light 'em up!"

Pulled up to a place I had to run into for like 30 seconds. Girl in her 30s sitting on the front steps, said "Beautiful car". I said thank you, and walked inside. When I came back out, she said "I really love how the yellow stitching matches the yellow calipers. That was thought about." (Yep!)

Gas pump interaction, pulled next to a beater F350 towing a large cargo trailer. He said, "can I have 5 minutes in that thing? Please?" I said, "You're going to want more".

Construction worker somehow assumed it was more expensive than a Ferrari. He was surprised when I said much less.

Getting the car inspected, pulled into a Euro shop I trust (no Lotus dealers in my state). Another customer there asked if he could take some photos because he had never seen a Lotus in real life and it was "far more beautiful than the pictures do it justice, and it's really nice in the pictures". He pulled a DSLR out of his car and was shooting pics for about 10 minutes.

Guy on a bicycle in full riding kit rolls up next to my open window, "Just so you know, that's my dream car".

Constant compliments on Nimbus Grey.

Top 3 questions I get:
1. Is that thing fast? ("In the corners, yeah")
2. How much does it cost? ("About the same as a Corvette")
3. I'll paraphrase the language on this next one: Does that car get girls? ("Cars don't get girls")

In general, all interactions are really, really positive. The car brings a lot of joy. That was always the case with Elise / Exige but those are more toy like, I wondered if it would stay true for Emira and it has.

View attachment 50125
Guy on bicycle wasn't @kitcat by any chance?
Cool encounters underscore 'driver engagement.'

The attention the car gets is a tricky thing for me.

I guess I like the CAR getting attention, but I dont like attention to ME.

I like that people view it as a thing of beauty, but, I dont usually like being attributed with it.
Some would say I am lying, but, its the truth.

In other words, on most occasions, I don't want attention to me. I dont want to be "look at me".

I also don't like talking about it at gas stations and stuff, because, I am very intorverted.

(But, I guess its my fault to buy a car that looks like that).

However, I'll admit it: on some rare occasions I feel pretty cool in it.
Usually in fancy areas where people wont know me (other neighborhoods).

After all, most people don't view me as a some douche in it, most people just seem to love and respect it.

I think its as pretty as a Ferrari (prettier actually) but somehow less ostentatious (mines nimbus).

The bottom line: It turns heads everywhere. And it seems to give a big dopamine spike to people.

So I think it truly brings joy to people just to see such a moving work of art.
Heartfelt.
The Emira has all the personality you need.
Let your inner Lotus out.

Funnest reaction I've had so far was driving along on dual carriageway A-road, and a couple of dudes in a hotted up black Volvo hearse with a hotrod flame job on the front and sides intentionally pulled alongside to make "OMG wow" faces and gestures... so I obliged them with a big grin and thumbs up, naturally. 😁 (y)

When people driving something like that go out of their way to give a reaction, you know that the looks must command some respect...

Last edited:
I came back to my car parked at HomeDepo after some errands and saw some people looking up and down at every angle and taking pictures

I walked up and checked it out with them, didnt say a word, then left. I had more errands to do near by

Im incognito haha

Over the first year of ownership I have had lots of thumbs up, admirers taking photos and “nice car” comments. One that stands out was when I returned home one evening and the girl across the road and her friend were playing on their bikes. After I parked up they cycled over and said “we like your car - it’s sick” - which I now understand means it’s awesome (not sickly!) and a great complement from a 9 year old!

First time I stopped to get gas I parked next to a clean 70s Corvette (C3). A lady walked out of the gas station market and immediately walked over and said, 'are you kidding me a Lotus?' Her son had driven a Lotus and asked to take pictures to send to him, while repeatedly saying 'she's beautiful'. The Corvette was hers which she had owned for 25+ years. She was badass, life goals!

Over the first year of ownership I have had lots of thumbs up, admirers taking photos and “nice car” comments. One that stands out was when I returned home one evening and the girl across the road and her friend were playing on their bikes. After I parked up they cycled over and said “we like your car - it’s sick” - which I now understand means it’s awesome (not sickly!) and a great complement from a 9 year old!

So much rizz no cap

Overall the vast majority of reactions has been really positive, a small number of times I've been near the car when it has been parked up at a show and have overheard the "not a proper Lotus" line, but that's definitely a very small minority.

The looks definitely get attention, my wife is always calling out "he/she looked" as we're driving along.

One fun reaction was at a local cars and coffee where I was parked up next to a V6 and a chap was getting rather confused by the different views through the rear windows!

The most consistent reaction I see with my car though comes from the fun of DV when there isn't direct sunlight on it. Getting closer to the car and then declaring something along the lines of "wait a sec, that's not black is it" :ROFLMAO:

My V6 Emira gets reactions everywhere and here's one of the latest: last w/e was parked at Costco; came back to find a "mom" with her son in a cart next to her, taking photos of my car. They were next to a Toyota Highlander, which I presumed to be their vehicle. She asked if I was the owner (yes) with her son quickly looking away and acting shy. I asked how old he was (5) and then if he'd like to sit in it. She posed that question to him and he immediately became animated and said YES. She sat him in the driver's seat and then asked if she could take more photos, showing him in the car (of course). He was completely thrilled and I suspect he was close to 6 years old, judging by his reaction and "mature good taste" (lol). He said it was the nicest car he'd ever been in, which isn't surprising given his young age, and thanked me profusely, having lost all shyness by then. She commented he'd likely never be in a nicer car and I suggested you never know, given his age and the motivation he'd just received. Another Lotus fan, in the making!