Poll for Those with Paint Blistering / Bubbling Defect

Does your Emira have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling issues, and if it does, when was it manufactured?

• My Emira does not have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues

Votes: 84 73.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (Prior to 01/23)

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (01/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (02/23)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (03/23)

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (04/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (05/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (06/23)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (07/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (08/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (09/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (10/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (After 10/23)

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
You may well be right. I’ve seen a fair few instances crop up in the UK recently and we’ve had pretty heavy rain, followed by warm(ish) conditions.

My hope is that any doors being replaced aren’t just replaced with a door that will exhibit the same problems after a few months. That said, I haven’t seen any info that indicates a change has been made to the manufacturing process, so…………..

Last edited:
My hope is that any doors being replaced aren’t just replaced with a door that will exhibit the same problems after a few months.
I know of an early car that was sent back to Hethel to have all panels except the roof replaced. However, it has developed blistering once again, indicating that the production process has not been improved to resolve the issue. Regrettably, it seems to be more of a "when" rather than an "if" type problem.

I know of an early car that was sent back to Hethel to have all panels except the roof replaced. However, it has developed blistering once again, indicating that the production process has not been improved to resolve the issue. Regrettably, it seems to be more of a "when" rather than an "if" type problem.
I am absolutely blessed to have managed to get a full refund on my car 1 year in!!!!!

So PPF place just called to say they found what appears to be 2 little bubbles on the driver side quarter panel. They at first thought it was something with the PPF they had just applied and so removed the PPF only to discover these babies. I'm stuck at work today, but will be heading out first thing tomorrow morning to inspect for myself.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 74
So PPF place just called to say they found what appears to be 2 little bubbles on the driver side quarter panel. They at first thought it was something with the PPF they had just applied and so removed the PPF only to discover these babies. I'm stuck at work today, but will be heading out first thing tomorrow morning to inspect for myself.
Isn’t it strange to see that on a new car?

Guessing the bubbles didn't appear during initial inspection / paint correction process prior to PPF install?

Guessing the bubbles didn't appear during initial inspection / paint correction process prior to PPF install?
I'm so baffled at this point, I was there on Monday morning due to paint bubbling/crumbling on the rear bumper (posted earlier in this thread #268 and #277) and did not notice these. The installer swears that they did not see them during multiple inspections or during the pre-PPF prep process......implying that they popped up. I'll post more detailed pics after I visit in person tomorrow.

I don't believe the rear bumper and quarter panel are even the same underlying material.......this is so amazingly frustrating.

I'm so baffled at this point, I was there on Monday morning due to paint bubbling/crumbling on the rear bumper (posted earlier in this thread #268 and #277) and did not notice these. The installer swears that they did not see them during multiple inspections or during the pre-PPF prep process......implying that they popped up. I'll post more detailed pics after I visit in person tomorrow.

I don't believe the rear bumper and quarter panel are even the same underlying material.......this is so amazingly frustrating.
What’s the build date on your car?
4/14/2024 here.

What’s the build date on your car?
4/14/2024 here.
My Emira was a 5/26 Baltimore arrival, so 4/14 sounds about right.....I'll confirm for certain when I see the car in person tomorrow. In the meantime you can compare your VIN to mine SCCLEKAX0RHBxxxxx to see if they were close.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Emira was a 5/26 Baltimore arrival, so 4/14 sounds about right.....I'll confirm for certain when I see the car in person tomorrow. In the meantime you can compare your VIN to mine SCCLEKAX0RHBxxxxx to see if they were close.

Like others have said before, the VINs aren’t really a reliable metric to use for build dates. They can be out of order, BUT I do believe the most recent off the production line are closer to being sequential builds than Emiras built a year or two ago.

My wife’s allocation hit Baltimore 5/13 (before yours) with the VIN ending in 2869 (also before yours)… so the timing sounds about right imo.

Her Emira has been perfect with fit and finish, paint (knock on wood), and no electrical gremlins at 800 miles so far. It’s currently at the shop getting ceramic coating, and they have not reported any issues with the paint. They’re the best in the area, so I’d imagine they’d be good at spotting anything.

The only issue we’ve had was the trunk would not open at delivery, and our rep had to have a mechanic manually release it from the inner panel behind the driver seat. Took about 5 minutes. Since then it’s opened fine.

Your example is useful though, so thank you for that. It shows the blistering issue is a ticking time bomb for daily drivers, and nobody is going to be safe from it unless they seal the car in an environment controlled bubble.

Last edited:
So PPF place just called to say they found what appears to be 2 little bubbles on the driver side quarter panel.
That sucks, sorry to hear it. And your car is another example that proves this issue isn't limited to the doors.
Frustrating that, as usual, Lotus isn't getting out ahead of the problem and communicating with customers. God forbid they should put out some information on what is obviously a growing issue. By now they must be very aware of this at the factory.

So some good news for most you on this thread. I've now checked this out in person and I don't believe these little bumps are the blistering issue. The bumps are so tiny that my 47 year old eyes had quite the time even seeing them. They are so slight, roughly the size of a grain of salt, that I'm thinking they were there all along and did not pop up afterwards. The bumps only became visible due to the PPF having a sort of tent effect over these tiny raised grains. If this was a 10 year old Chevy I would have done a quick wet-sand to get them down......

At this stage I'm more concerned about the crumbled/peeled paint bubble on my rear bumper (post #277) and will focus with the dealer to get that replaced when the Chicagoland weather turns late in the year.

TLDR = Not the blistering issue, hopefully just a one off case of someone's Emira with a crap factory paint job.

Micro blisters magnified by the PPF? They look like tiny pinholes before bigger blisters appear.