• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Porsche GTS4.0 owner impressions of the Emira

pcarguy

Reaction score
Proud new Emira owner here in the USA. As my name implies, I am a bit of a Porsche fanboy, current Porsche fleet are a 2021 Cayman GTS and a 2023 911 Turbo S.

I've always admired Lotus since I drove an Elise in the 1990s, and am thrilled they've made a car that I (6' 3") can more readily fit in. I acknowledge now having been to a Lotus dealer that I actually fit in the Evora as well.

I thought worthwhile giving my impressions, with some embedded questions. In bulletpoint format:
- I'm only 400 miles in
- Touring spec
- The pedals! Despite driving manuals for the last 35 years of my life, I often struggle to get off the line in lazy driving. The clutch has a very small grab window. And it feels like the throttle mapping also seems to be tight (at least in Sport mode which is where I've been defaulting to). I have NOT stalled it yet, but I have definitely had it at 2k rpm while not moving, and have had the car nearly stall. The Cayman's clutch and throttle are a breeze, much more intuitive. I suppose I'll get used to modulating the clutch and throttle better, but would have thought after 400 miles I'd be comfortable. Oddly, I don't have any issues after a cold start. It sort of makes me wonder if the car is idling too low when at temp. And I have been experimenting and it does feel like Tour mode gives me much less issues.
- More pedals! The brakes. Yet again, the grab window on the brakes is tiny. The irony here, and I haven't figured this out yet - is that at higher speeds I swear the breaks are a tad mushy. But then, sometimes I'll be pulling up to a red light or a parking spot and the brakes are twitchy. I suppose I'm not used to the modulation required.
- Pedal spacing. There were lots of concerns about the spacing of the pedals, but am glad to report I don't notice any issues
- Throttle Blip - The Caymans throttle blip is just so enjoyable for downshifting. I wish the Emira had it. But I get it, this is a Lotus... man up!
- Proximity unlock/entry -I have to physically take my key out of my pocket and hit the Unlock button to get into my car. I understand the benefits with theft prevention etc, but I thought the days of touching a key were over. And yes, for many recent generations of Porsche, this was an expensive cost-option.
- The build quality - when I picked it up there was a badly loose fiber on a seat, and a piece of plastic in the trunk that I'm still not convinced is aligned properly... but I was told "yeah its hand built".. whatever, its a Lotus and I guess this is part of the charm. Otherwise, things are holding up.
- Not a fan of the steering wheel "buttons", I think I've pressed them accidentally, and they're not terribly easy to use. The Cayman's wheel buttons are better and yes they are optional, at a cost.
- Steering feel is indeed great. And love the shifter. Very different from the 718, perhaps more in a go-cart way? It certainly reminds me of my time in the Elise. Much more notchy than the Cayman.
- There is definitely a "sense of occasion" driving the car. I liken it to driving a 1980's sports car, which is what I've envied about Lotus.
- The sound. I do put it in Sport mode most often to hear the exhaust. And I tend to roll down the windows in summer with this car. I've never owned a supercharged car before, and to be honest when I see/hear cars like the Dodge Hellcat (or whatever similar supercharged cars), I really do not like that sound. But its kind of grown on me in the Emira. Undecided on this one, but the sound is nothing like the GTS.
- I've had no mechanical issues. I was indeed concerned about various problems I had seen on forums. The car starts, goes, no gremlins so far.
- I can readily (intentionally) get the back end of the Cayman out in lazy/fun driving, I am yet to do that with the Lotus. Perhaps because I'm not driving it as hard yet. But I fear its because of nannies. But that would not make sense.. so gonna hold my opinion on this, other than say the Cayman is such a fun car to drive. When I get past 1,000 mile breakin, I'll push it a tad more.
- Interior - Quite pleased with the quality and simplicity of it all. I had thought the climate controls (some of which are in the screen, like heated seat) might be a pain, but its quick to navigate and not embedded in a menu.
- Android Auto occasionally fails. I suspect I might be hitting a button on the steering wheel to cause this. However, its a pretty quick series of 2 buttons on the screen to get it to re-connect.
- This car attracts attention. I've had many sports cars for the last 10 years, and in that time, I might have gotten a handful of "cool car bro" comments. I would say that nearly every time I have driven the Lotus, someone will comment on it when I get in or out.

Overall, really enjoying the car, with the only "issue" being the clutch & throttle engagement. I've scoured the forums and have only seen a few threads and comments on the clutch and throttle, so I will just assume I am the moron and will try to get used to it.

so I will just assume I am the moron and will try to get used to it.

It will be extra challenging for "guys like us" to get used to it. I am many years removed from my GT4 ownership and am only a few days into my Emira ownership experience.

I will say this much: It's a great excuse to go out and practice my launches and heal-tow.

I did so for 50 miles this morning, working on "just this problem" in the perfect area with stop signs in 1/2-mile-long segments of 55 MPH posted 2 and 4 lanes.

It's a beautiful way to start your day. Now I can go into the office in a good mood.

Last edited:
Proud new Emira owner here in the USA. As my name implies, I am a bit of a Porsche fanboy, current Porsche fleet are a 2021 Cayman GTS and a 2023 911 Turbo S.

I've always admired Lotus since I drove an Elise in the 1990s, and am thrilled they've made a car that I (6' 3") can more readily fit in. I acknowledge now having been to a Lotus dealer that I actually fit in the Evora as well.

I thought worthwhile giving my impressions, with some embedded questions. In bulletpoint format:
- I'm only 400 miles in
- Touring spec
- The pedals! Despite driving manuals for the last 35 years of my life, I often struggle to get off the line in lazy driving. The clutch has a very small grab window. And it feels like the throttle mapping also seems to be tight (at least in Sport mode which is where I've been defaulting to). I have NOT stalled it yet, but I have definitely had it at 2k rpm while not moving, and have had the car nearly stall. The Cayman's clutch and throttle are a breeze, much more intuitive. I suppose I'll get used to modulating the clutch and throttle better, but would have thought after 400 miles I'd be comfortable. Oddly, I don't have any issues after a cold start. It sort of makes me wonder if the car is idling too low when at temp. And I have been experimenting and it does feel like Tour mode gives me much less issues.
- More pedals! The brakes. Yet again, the grab window on the brakes is tiny. The irony here, and I haven't figured this out yet - is that at higher speeds I swear the breaks are a tad mushy. But then, sometimes I'll be pulling up to a red light or a parking spot and the brakes are twitchy. I suppose I'm not used to the modulation required.
- Pedal spacing. There were lots of concerns about the spacing of the pedals, but am glad to report I don't notice any issues
- Throttle Blip - The Caymans throttle blip is just so enjoyable for downshifting. I wish the Emira had it. But I get it, this is a Lotus... man up!
- Proximity unlock/entry -I have to physically take my key out of my pocket and hit the Unlock button to get into my car. I understand the benefits with theft prevention etc, but I thought the days of touching a key were over. And yes, for many recent generations of Porsche, this was an expensive cost-option.
- The build quality - when I picked it up there was a badly loose fiber on a seat, and a piece of plastic in the trunk that I'm still not convinced is aligned properly... but I was told "yeah its hand built".. whatever, its a Lotus and I guess this is part of the charm. Otherwise, things are holding up.
- Not a fan of the steering wheel "buttons", I think I've pressed them accidentally, and they're not terribly easy to use. The Cayman's wheel buttons are better and yes they are optional, at a cost.
- Steering feel is indeed great. And love the shifter. Very different from the 718, perhaps more in a go-cart way? It certainly reminds me of my time in the Elise. Much more notchy than the Cayman.
- There is definitely a "sense of occasion" driving the car. I liken it to driving a 1980's sports car, which is what I've envied about Lotus.
- The sound. I do put it in Sport mode most often to hear the exhaust. And I tend to roll down the windows in summer with this car. I've never owned a supercharged car before, and to be honest when I see/hear cars like the Dodge Hellcat (or whatever similar supercharged cars), I really do not like that sound. But its kind of grown on me in the Emira. Undecided on this one, but the sound is nothing like the GTS.
- I've had no mechanical issues. I was indeed concerned about various problems I had seen on forums. The car starts, goes, no gremlins so far.
- I can readily (intentionally) get the back end of the Cayman out in lazy/fun driving, I am yet to do that with the Lotus. Perhaps because I'm not driving it as hard yet. But I fear its because of nannies. But that would not make sense.. so gonna hold my opinion on this, other than say the Cayman is such a fun car to drive. When I get past 1,000 mile breakin, I'll push it a tad more.
- Interior - Quite pleased with the quality and simplicity of it all. I had thought the climate controls (some of which are in the screen, like heated seat) might be a pain, but its quick to navigate and not embedded in a menu.
- Android Auto occasionally fails. I suspect I might be hitting a button on the steering wheel to cause this. However, its a pretty quick series of 2 buttons on the screen to get it to re-connect.
- This car attracts attention. I've had many sports cars for the last 10 years, and in that time, I might have gotten a handful of "cool car bro" comments. I would say that nearly every time I have driven the Lotus, someone will comment on it when I get in or out.

Overall, really enjoying the car, with the only "issue" being the clutch & throttle engagement. I've scoured the forums and have only seen a few threads and comments on the clutch and throttle, so I will just assume I am the moron and will try to get used to it.
The Emira takes a bit of time to get used to. Not like the Cayman where you can jump in and be perfectly comfortable in a few minutes of driving the car. The touchiness or roughness of some of the Emira I think add to the sense of occasion and purpose.

- I'm only 400 miles in
- Touring spec

+1 for the 3rd cat delete, it really balances the supercharger sound nicely.

regarding clutch engagement point, mine was a bit narrow for the first few days. then I had two event where hill-hold would not release and I really worked the clutch a bit trying to get through a green light. From that point on, my clutch has been as forgiving as a Honda. Very easy to modulate but never a slip or any adverse symptom. Did I take life off the clutch? Dunno. But probably 'seasoned' the flywheel a bit....

Coming from a GR Supra MT, which is probably the easiest manual car to drive, I stalled the Emira on the day of pickup lol. The clutch is a bit tricky and it feels like the engine doesn't have much low-end torque to easily start the car. But now I'm fine with it after a couple hundreds of miles.

Welcome pcarguy to the Forum and like me (with Corvette C8's) I suspect you're used to frequenting a car Forum so posting here will be "old hat" to you. Regardless, appreciate your detailed and thoughtful "review/comparison" and it was definitely a good "ice breaker" for your first or one of your first posts.

You're still well w/i the break-in period but I think you'll find driving in "track" mode, even more fun and adding a bit more to the exhaust sound, compared to sport, plus quicker starts and some harder cornering, adding to the "fun factor". I started in tour mode only, then after break-in, enjoyed sport mode with its more lively response/sound. And then one day I thought "what the hell": why not try track mode...and I've been hooked ever since, even driving around my city and (tsk tsk) my office underground parkade when starting on my race....errrrr journey....home. Never thought I'd be "that guy" but I'm enjoying it too much to give it up; not just the sound but moreso the clutch and throttle response. Until the "Lotus police" throw me in jail (or the first decent rain, cold temps or light snow fall), I suspect I'll keep using that mode.

I too miss all the conveniences of my last ++ loaded C8; especially as you've indicated, the annoying requirement for a key fob to unlock the doors, which I've never had with any vehicle for at least the last decade. But add to that the lack of automatic seat retraction when exiting, and moreso the missing heads-up display that you take for granted when there but ++ miss when it's gone, plus a LOT of other options. HOWEVER I'd miss the "Lotus feel" more than any or all of those, so it's been a good trade-off for me.

Thanks again and keep those interesting posts coming!

I found that the car got a bit louder, clutch smoother and engine more responsive after > 1000km travelled. I didn't experience this in other new cars I've had, but definitely noticed many positive changes in the Emira post run in period.

the missing heads-up display that you take for granted when there but ++ miss when it's gone

I am a HUGE fan of HUDs, especially for night time driving. I wish we had one in the Emira. I think they’re especially nice for nighttime driving when you turn off the instrument cluster and all other interior lights.

+1 for the 3rd cat delete, it really balances the supercharger sound nicely.

regarding clutch engagement point, mine was a bit narrow for the first few days. then I had two event where hill-hold would not release and I really worked the clutch a bit trying to get through a green light. From that point on, my clutch has been as forgiving as a Honda. Very easy to modulate but never a slip or any adverse symptom. Did I take life off the clutch? Dunno. But probably 'seasoned' the flywheel a bit....
OP here. 600 miles in now, and I think I've managed to figure out the throttle/clutch modulation. Phew. Maybe things have just loosened up / "seasoned", like you say.

Brake modulation is still a crapshoot, particularly pulling into a parking space.

I continue to be amazed at how much attention this car gets.

Nice write up. Have 2500 miles on my Emira. The clutch doesn't bother me, but yes, I have stalled it once. Can be a little tricky when you first start. I 100% agree on the proximity key. That should be in any car this cost. Like you, the brakes are funny sometimes. Sometimes they feel mushy out of the blue, but overall not a problem. Apple carplay rarely connects on it's own in my car, have to manually do it. Love the controls. Buttons and a screen. That is how all cars should be. I think the exhaust noice is very good. No need for an aftermarket exhaust. Car gets tons of attention.

Hello all. This post was something I needed to read to see that experienced manual drivers were having a bit of challenge with the Emira! I had never owned a manual transmission car and Emira is my first. I've driven a stick maybe less then 10 times in my life and I'm 56. I am fortunate enough to be able to have a weekend sports car and chose Emira over the C8.

When I first test drove the Emira in Feb of 2023, I stalled it like 3 times with the sales person in the car! Fast forward nearly 15 months later, I picked up the Emira in May (with huge smile on my face) and wow, was I very nervous about driving it home with many hills to navigate. For the first month, I would take it out at night to "practice" driving and it was a bit of a struggle to not stall the car at start. So it makes me feel better knowing that many of you who are "pros", relative to my experience, have experienced the same thing.

I am 600+ miles in and getting better.

Hello all. This post was something I needed to read to see that experienced manual drivers were having a bit of challenge with the Emira! I had never owned a manual transmission car and Emira is my first. I've driven a stick maybe less then 10 times in my life and I'm 56. I am fortunate enough to be able to have a weekend sports car and chose Emira over the C8.

When I first test drove the Emira in Feb of 2023, I stalled it like 3 times with the sales person in the car! Fast forward nearly 15 months later, I picked up the Emira in May (with huge smile on my face) and wow, was I very nervous about driving it home with many hills to navigate. For the first month, I would take it out at night to "practice" driving and it was a bit of a struggle to not stall the car at start. So it makes me feel better knowing that many of you who are "pros", relative to my experience, have experienced the same thing.

I am 600+ miles in and getting better.
Keep at it and know that the Emira is a little more challenging than most sticks. More satisfying when you get it right!

Pedals are definitely an event at lower speeds. The break pedal is bite-y, in particular.
However, I find the pedals perfectly tuned for harder driving. At higher speeds, at hard breaking, as your toe is on the break, you have to press it harder and it goes further in. And as you flatten your foot to the throttle, it give is a perfect blip for a downshift. I find myself fumbling downshifts when I am just practicing at low speeds, but when I drive it harder, it just all somehow comes together. Overall, I find this car comes to life under hard driving, in so many ways.