• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

PPF on headlights?

Would you apply PPF to the headlights?

• Yes, it’s a great way to protect and preserve the headlights

Votes: 24 100.0%
  • No, I would be concerned with delaminating, warranty issues, optical clarity, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rupes

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on applying ppf on the headlights? I’ve had some headlights get badly pitted and cloudy after many years without ppf, but I’ve also heard stories about delamination and potential optical issues with ppf.

100% yes. Headlights scratch very easily and the ppf protects against that and also helps as a layer over the uv protection

I have had many cars with PPF on the headlights and after years I still can’t even tell the PPF is there! Good investment especially since some headlights can be $$
They're only $1800 each. That's nothing. (Yes, definitely PPF)

i was unsure at first too. But now I have 2 cars with front lens PPFd. Cannot tell they are there at all. Not sure if it causes issues long term, but I am guessing no- especially if the car is not parked outside. 100% would PPF.

Thanks all, I tend to agree better to wrap than not. I guess this was a big issue on the Porsche forums a while back, but maybe modern day applications make this a non-issue.

I had mine done, would do again. No appreciable drop in clarity of light output.

I had this discussion with my PPF installer when I was having my car done. They said they do headlight PPF on basically every car but Porsche. Something about the factory coating on the lenses and warranty coverages, if I’m not mistaken.

Unfortunately I know a lot about this on a 911. I got our 911 certified pre-owned with its CPO warranty. It had minor delaminating/crazing on the inside at the time. Over the next year or so it got progressively worse fast. The lenses were not PPFd originally. Did a lot of reading on the issue. I think the reason Porsche said not to PPF the lenses is due to the quality of older films and some cheap ones will trap heat. Also they look for anything to deny claims as they know some just are defective.
It was ridiculous anyway when tried to get the lights replaced under warranty at that point. They tried to blame me for driving the car in sunlight and washing the car etc. They also said they wouldnt have even covered that issue on the lights under full warranty. (I think that was BS) Probably cause a lot of Porsches have that issue.
I found a service that replaces just the defective lenses and he recommended doing PPF over them.
I did PPF over the lights on the Emira as well.

XPEL PPF on my headlights on day 1. Easy to apply and less than $100.
They also have a kit for the piano black on the interior.