Prices increase update from Lotus - and stopping of reservations for V6 FE

Featured
Please be advised that, as a result of significantly increasing costs, the Lotus Emira will later this year be subject to new pricing.

Whilst a significant level of cost increase has been absorbed, with effect from 1 June 2023, the retail price will increase to £81,995 (incl VAT) for the Emira V6 First Edition, and £77,795 (incl VAT) for the Emira First Edition 4-cylinder turbocharged variant. Full pricing details can be found on our website. However, your Emira reservation will not be affected by this increase, we can confirm your reservation has been price protected.

We are fully committed to our production schedule and in the next two weeks, we will be in touch via email to update you further on the progression of your Lotus Emira.

Due to overwhelming demand, we will be closing reservations for Lotus Emira V6 First Edition. We will be sharing the exact timings soon.

1676459390320.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got the e-mail inviting me to lock in my configuration and checkout today (I thought they did this by phone previously?)

Apparently I have to confirm my configuration by 12pm 8 March to confirm a June build.

I think I recall seeing that confirmation is requested 3 months before the car goes down the line. Do they do all of the June build cars on 1 March, then or can I read into this that at best I missed having the quoted price locked in by 8 days and at worst by just 1?
My car is supposed to be built this month, I haven’t had the check out yet. Just saw a post on Facebook today, Someone received a check out and then less than two weeks later told the car is ready to be delivered

I finally got the e-mail inviting me to lock in my configuration and checkout today (I thought they did this by phone previously?)

Apparently I have to confirm my configuration by 12pm 8 March to confirm a June build.

I think I recall seeing that confirmation is requested 3 months before the car goes down the line. Do they do all of the June build cars on 1 March, then or can I read into this that at best I missed having the quoted price locked in by 8 days and at worst by just 1?
Same here! I placed my first deposit 8th Sept 2021 with estimated delivery late 2022/early 2023. Delivery has been pushed back a few times, most recently to July build/August delivery when the price increase was announced but now seems to have been pulled forward to a June build.

My car is supposed to be built this month, I haven’t had the check out yet. Just saw a post on Facebook today, Someone received a check out and then less than two weeks later told the car is ready to be delivered
Wonder if that was a cancellation of the same spec?

Same here! I placed my first deposit 8th Sept 2021 with estimated delivery late 2022/early 2023. Delivery has been pushed back a few times, most recently to July build/August delivery when the price increase was announced but now seems to have been pulled forward to a June build.
Which - absolutely no offence to you - irks me even more since my first deposit was a month before yours.

It makes little difference to me now in honesty. I really don't like the way I and others have been treated and what was supposed to be a really exciting and joyous experience now just leaves a bitter taste. So I won't be going forward with my order and will be requesting the return of my deposit - so you may get your car a little earlier still.

Which - absolutely no offence to you - irks me even more since my first deposit was a month before yours.

It makes little difference to me now in honesty. I really don't like the way I and others have been treated and what was supposed to be a really exciting and joyous experience now just leaves a bitter taste. So I won't be going forward with my order and will be requesting the return of my deposit - so you may get your car a little earlier still.
They've treated you poorly in direct communication with you? How so?

Wonder if that was a cancellation of the same spec?
Possibly (I’m Nimbus V6 manual with full black pack & black wheels) though very likely a consequence of recent cancellations post price increase announcement.

They've treated you poorly in direct communication with you? How so?
I didn't say they treated me poorly in direct communication - I'm not sure I even understand what you mean by that - but I think the way they have behaved is obvious to all and has been well rehearsed in this thread. I am a loyal Lotus customer of 22 years. I bought my Elise new from a dealer in 2000 and I have two pre-loved Esprits - I still own those three cars. I don't expect to be treated differently because of that, but do expect all customers, new and old to be treated decently, reasonably, and with honesty.

My order - as with many others has been pushed back and back again and I've no grumble with that (even when a May build date was been confirmed in writing in late November last year and then pushed back a month just two weeks later; I understand these are estimates not promises, it's a new car being built in a new plant and that there are supply chain issues).

I do, though, strongly object to the fact that I was sent a link by Lotus to a video in which the Managing Director made a direct, clear and unambiguous PROMISE that the price I would pay would be the price I was quoted. That promise has been reneged on even though nothing is known now that was not known then. That's not honest.

I also object to the fact that because my build slot is a few days after someone else's they are breaking their promise and asking me to pay an additional £6k. It's an arbitrary cut-off point of a few days over a period of more than 18 months. That's not reasonable.

Also, it seems that it's UK customers that are being asked to bear the brunt of this increase - I understand that differing laws and contractual situations may well explain some of that, but nonetheless. That's not decent.

Lotus had choices here. They could have said back in June 2022 when Mr Windle made his now broken promise that new deposits would be for orders at a higher price; they could have given notice of the price rise and asked customers to commit their final deposit to secure the promised price to a certain deadline... I would have accepted either of those scenarios but they did none of that.

Each to their own and your mileage may vary, but for me it's left a bitter taste and I feel very let down by a brand that I have cherished since I was 7 years old.

I hear you. I get that this is a principle issue for you, but I'm not sure how cancelling your order is a win at this point. You aren't punishing them, that's for certain.

I hear you. I get that this is a principle issue for you, but I'm not sure how cancelling your order is a win at this point. You aren't punishing them, that's for certain.
Who said I was looking to punish anyone?

Like I said, each to their own. You be you. For me, buying and owning this car would have been for the smiles - as with my other weekenders. I wouldn't own this car for a few years and then move on to something else; it's not the car I'd take to do the grocery shopping; it's not the car that I'd use for my commute (not regularly anyway)... It would have been a grin machine and Lotus have left me with negative feelings so I'll choose to spend my hard-earned with someone else (or more likely on something else entirely). I appreciate that some might think I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face but that's how I feel.

Who said I was looking to punish anyone?

Like I said, each to their own. You be you. For me, buying and owning this car would have been for the smiles - as with my other weekenders. I wouldn't own this car for a few years and then move on to something else; it's not the car I'd take to do the grocery shopping; it's not the car that I'd use for my commute (not regularly anyway)... It would have been a grin machine and Lotus have left me with negative feelings so I'll choose to spend my hard-earned with someone else (or more likely on something else entirely). I appreciate that some might think I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face but that's how I feel.
If strictly for the weekend I’d go WAY more hardcore than the friendly Emira. The Emira is compromised as a weekender but complete winner as a daily

If strictly for the weekend I’d go WAY more hardcore than the friendly Emira. The Emira is compromised as a weekender but complete winner as a daily
Lol - I'm sure mostly you're right. But for several reasons it actually wouldn't do me as a daily. My other Lotus cars are lots of fun. The Elise is one of the last S1s built and it's basically a go-kart... feels much faster than it is. The Esprits (an S4 and an S3 X180) are getting as rare as hen's teeth... still a lot of fun to drive but very dated inside, especially the X180 (which I imagine looked dated when it was brand new). So the attraction of the Emira for me was great looks, a modern interior that's more refined than the previous Lotus, but with the handling and fun factor intact.

Anyway, for me the journey is over without having driven a mile. I may yet get an Aston or an A8 or something else or - and I never thought I'd ever even contemplate doing this, but I am so disappointed with Lotus - I may sell them all and get something silly like a McLaren or Lambo.

So an Ariel Atom as a weekend car is ideal? ;) My weekend jaunts are to restaurants, church, and cars & coffee events. I would guess that these types of outings are more common that racetrack events, unless the car is made specifically for the track.

Tried that. No point in a road trip car if it’s uncomfortable

For the kind of weekend trips I do to seek out twisties, it has to be a reasonable thing to spend time in, as well as going around bends with tenacity.

Plus, getting away for a weekend with my lovely wife is also a very fun thing to do in a sports car. So it has to have grace, as well as grip. The Emira does both.

Reactions: ADC
So an Ariel Atom as a weekend car is ideal? ;) My weekend jaunts are to restaurants, church, and cars & coffee events. I would guess that these types of outings are more common that racetrack events, unless the car is made specifically for the track.
I’d shop for an air cooled 911 for sub 100k. The atom would be a fail for me cause my wife wouldn’t go to the marina with me. I guess that’s the hard core line for me lol the 20 minutes to the dock

I’d shop for an air cooled 911 for sub 100k. The atom would be a fail for me cause my wife wouldn’t go to the marina with me. I guess that’s the hard core line for me lol the 20 minutes to the dock
If you want hardcore and uncompromised, but with Lotus-y style, buy a Caterham Seven 360.

If you want hardcore and uncompromised, but with Lotus-y style, buy a Caterham Seven 360.
Agree with this. I went R300 instead as found the 6 speed box a little too enticing, but the 360 is a touch more liveable whilst still exciting.

As daily friendly as a 911?

Agree with this. I went R300 instead as found the 6 speed box a little too enticing, but the 360 is a touch more liveable whilst still exciting.
Hell if he wanted to get hardcore they have one with a sequential.

Definitely Caterham! I built and drove one for almost 10 years. Utterly useless, except for being the most fun you'll ever have in a car! One of only a handful of cars I wish I still had.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back