• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Race to the first i4

I've been thinking about it for a day... Could this not be a move to sell the orphan emira’s?o_O
Maybe.....

You'd have to REALLY want a less powerful, more expensive, worse sounding same weight car with dreadful auto gearbox to stay in the que! 😄

No call from Lotus here or email, just radio silence. What number are people being called on. I did have a missed 0208 0680 number on Tuesday
I've not had a call from Lotus yet either, still waiting, see if I'm contacted next week.

In other non-news my father was stopping by JCT600 in Bradford earlier so I asked him to see if they knew about the delay and the guy he was speaking to there didn't seem to know anything about things being delayed (not that I was expecting anything else after JClem's comment about B&C)

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, insurance on a 570s was less than the quote I got for an Emira V6. OK, not by much £700 plays £650 but it is a much faster car.

The wavering is getting stronger

I suspect Lotus doesn't want to issue a public statement about the production/delivery state of affairs - truthful and candid as it should be - because that will be broadly shared with negative impact.
They may prefer less public smoldering angst somewhat contained to Forums. Damage control is a red flag.

Thanks for the replies, the [email protected] is the address I was looking for to sending the cancellation and refund email. It's now been done. It's a shame I couldn't come into the Lotus owners fold, I guess it wasn't meant to be...

Luckily I bought a GR86 and with some mods, will it hoon around track days. Sure it's nowhere as fast as an Emira but the back to basics analogue nature of the car really highlights the skill (or lack) of the driver.

For the outright speed, I'm waiting patiently for the 992.2 release which I have a deposit on. Luckily Porsche don't expect customers to wait for ever, unlike Lotus.

For those that got cars, well done to you and I hear they are great fun, enjoy them!

Sure it's nowhere as fast as an Emira but the back to basics analogue nature of the car really highlights the skill (or lack) of the driver.
I wouldn’t say that. Watching some 0-60s (which is somewhat useless) and multiple “pulls” approaching the stated top speed, was quite uninspired. Watching the speed increase towards (but never achieving) the top speed was glacial. It took forever for another mph to be added to the screen. But they’re both Toyotas, so there’s that….

I wouldn’t say that. Watching some 0-60s (which is somewhat useless) and multiple “pulls” approaching the stated top speed, was quite uninspired. Watching the speed increase towards (but never achieving) the top speed was glacial. It took forever for another mph to be added to the screen. But they’re both Toyotas, so there’s that….
Haha... Yes, I was never impressed with the 3.5v6 (from the Toyota Alphard). Hence I went with the I4 AMG.

When I test drove the V6, it just didn't punch hard as I expected it would. Funnily enough, had a mini electric behind me on the test drive and it shocked me how difficult it was to lose it!

If I wanted a V6 would be in one now. My friend ordered a couple of weeks after me and he's been in his V6 since March.

From reading this thread, I got the impression there haven't been any UK i4 deliveries, is that correct? Because I just saw this post from 4 days ago:

SmartSelect_20231127_065222_Instagram.jpg

There may be people much more in the know than me. We do know that there were some UK road legal ones (or one?) because they got in the hands of the press for reviews (or possibly slating!).

I had my scripted call today. Obviously I knew what to expect after the recent accounts here. I asked the usual questions around specific reasons plus price increases. The CS rep mentioned type approval several times so it seems this is indeed a major factor as has been uncovered in previous posts. He also verbally suggested that locked in orders would be price protected but he also stated that is had been a common question and they were seeking something more concrete from "senior management". I said I would consider my position but any further price increases would be an instant deal breaker. There were no specifics available on possible improvements during the hiatus (DCT programming, 400bhp?!).

Overall, pretty disappointing as summer is now the "best case" which will be 3 years since I placed my order. I wasn't too fussed about a delay until spring but this is likely to mean the car will arrive after the best driving months. Also, even after all of this, we are still no clearer on whether the drivability issues are addressed ahead of a test drive.

From reading this thread, I got the impression there haven't been any UK i4 deliveries, is that correct? Because I just saw this post from 4 days ago:

The guy who posted it is a journalist so it is a press car. And looking at the numberplate (from one of his other posts) it is actually the same car that was in the Harry's Garage video:
Screenshot_20231127-143637~2.png

I guess one question is if Lotus have given the I4 to a journalist at this time, have they carried out any of the alterations to the gearbox etc since feedback from the original round of press reviews? In a way you'd hope they have, but then again wouldn't be surprised if it's unchanged...

The guy who posted it is a journalist so it is a press car. And looking at the numberplate (from one of his other posts) it is actually the same car that was in the Harry's Garage video:
View attachment 33770
I guess one question is if Lotus have given the I4 to a journalist at this time, have they carried out any of the alterations to the gearbox etc since feedback from the original round of press reviews? In a way you'd hope they have, but then again wouldn't be surprised if it's unchanged...
Nice sleuthing.

View attachment 33770
Just to get the general idea. My dealer commented that no I4 lotus will be delivered to any customer.

Does anyone was told that i4 production line is stopped? Because they do not have lot of space for storage cars...

If they keep pushing the I4 back and give me crappy customer service, I may have to bail. My order was locked in in August with a March 24 delivery in the USA. Other options out there that will serve me well for the price. I just want a fun summertime car. Loved my old 1992 MR2 and was hoping this would fill the void.

Does anyone was told that i4 production line is stopped
The two things the CS guy said today were global supply chain issues and type approval. My understanding is that type approval is country specific and would only be affecting UK orders. On that basis you'd expect them to be busy fulfilling Chinese and US orders unless there's a secondary parts issue that's so serious they can already say today that no more I4's can be made for anyone for 6 months!

The two things the CS guy said today were global supply chain issues and type approval. My understanding is that type approval is country specific and would only be affecting UK orders. On that basis you'd expect them to be busy fulfilling Chinese and US orders unless there's a secondary parts issue that's so serious they can already say today that no more I4's can be made for anyone for 6 months!
I find hard to believe the they have more problems with I4 approval in UK and UE than v6. The first i4 prototype test cars had a year?

I find hard to believe the they have more problems with I4 approval in UK and UE than v6. The first i4 prototype test cars had a year?
Equally though there's still approval issues in NA for the V6 and cars have been in customer hands for over a year elsewhere in the world, yet alone counting development time before then...

Something has gone seriously awry with type approval at Lotus, and it looks like some people have either been given the boot or walked with them having recently advertised two principle engineer and one director role in the type approval space. Though I've spotted that the principle engineer role in relation to emissions looks to now have been filled.

US dealers had a meeting today. Per @GatorMotorsport in the USA delivery thread:

Turbo I4—
  • Supply chain constraints have caused a production delay for Turbo I4 Emira. These orders are now expected to arrive at the beginning of 2025.
  • U.S. homologation for I4 Emira will be completed in late 2024, with customer deliveries beginning in early 2025.
  • A fleet of I4 demonstrator vehicles has been ordered and is expected to arrive in Q1/Q2 of 2024. We will invite all our reservation holders once a test drive opportunity becomes available!
Not sure how much of this applies to non-NA deliveries.