Rock Collector Body Location Likely Leading to Surface Wear/Rust?

netsinah

Emira owner.
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here’s something my car detailer pointed out this past w/e, when doing PPF touch-ups on a full wrap: behind each front (not rear) wheel, there’s a small hole, he thought may be for air-flow. Rocks kicked up by the tire enter, then get deposited in the small gap on the lower car edge, where they can rattle around.

IMG_1315.jpeg

IMG_1317.jpeg IMG_1318.jpeg

You’ll notice the rivets around the hole in the first photo. Perhaps something can be 3-D printed that can be attached at those rivet locations (?), to deflect the road debris away from the hole? Or perhaps this would impede proper air flow? Or maybe something inserted on the body side, so rocks can’t accumulate? Don’t know. Or maybe people think this is something most vehicles have and not a problem at all? I don’t recall seeing this on my C8 Corvettes when cleaning them, which also had side rocker skirts. FYI.

Here’s something my car detailer pointed out this past w/e, when doing PPF touch-ups on a full wrap: behind each front (not rear) wheel, there’s a small hole, he thought may be for air-flow. Rocks kicked up by the tire enter, then get deposited in the small gap on the lower car edge, where they can rattle around.

View attachment 48063

View attachment 48065 View attachment 48067

You’ll notice the rivets around the hole in the first photo. Perhaps something can be 3-D printed that can be attached at those rivet locations (?), to deflect the road debris away from the hole? Or perhaps this would impede proper air flow? Or maybe something inserted on the body side, so rocks can’t accumulate? Don’t know. Or maybe people think this is something most vehicles have and not a problem at all? I don’t recall seeing this on my C8 Corvettes when cleaning them, which also had side rocker skirts. FYI.I don't have any hole behind the front wheels.

View attachment 48063

You’ll notice the rivets around the hole in the first photo. Perhaps something can be 3-D printed that can be attached at those rivet locations (?), to deflect the road debris away from the hole? Or perhaps this would impede proper air flow? Or maybe something inserted on the body side, so rocks can’t accumulate? Don’t know. Or maybe people think this is something most vehicles have and not a problem at all? I don’t recall seeing this on my C8 Corvettes when cleaning them, which also had side rocker skirts. FYI.
I don't have any such hole behind the front wheel.

I received my V6 manual transmission Emira in early June. I noticed it had a different floor mat set-up than earlier models (mine had press-on pegs, instead of screwed-in connectors). Perhaps you’re missing the “vent holes” behind the front tires for that reason (it’s an earlier version)?

How do your floor mats attach to the floor? When did you get your Emira and is it the same V6, not that having a V4 or V6 auto transmission should matter when it comes to the body.

I can probably make something for you out of plastic, if it means to just cover the hole with some kind of grill to cut down on the rocks getting in... I don't know how small the holes should be but I can research it.

I am currently in the process of designing my own rock guards for this car. Unfortunately I am not an owner, so will have to see if the donor car I've been developing (my rock guards) on have this hole at the front or not. I can't really recall seeing them at the front.

View attachment 48063

Thanks for that reply. Appreciate you volunteering a possible solution.

I’d have to know the consequences of covering the hole completely, first. Is the hole to promote air flow and cool the brakes?? Is its function more important than avoiding a “rock collection”? Don’t know. My original thought was putting up some sort of side guard, on the edge of the hole, to maintain air flow but prevent rock entry, assuming that’s possible. Wish I could talk to an Emira design engineer to get these answers.

Thanks for that reply. Appreciate you volunteering a possible solution.

I’d have to know the consequences of covering the hole completely, first. Is the hole to promote air flow and cool the brakes?? Is its function more important than avoiding a “rock collection”? Don’t know. My original thought was putting up some sort of side guard, on the edge of the hole, to maintain air flow but prevent rock entry, assuming that’s possible. Wish I could talk to an Emira design engineer to get these answers.
there will most likely be some consequences that has to be balanced. The solution I'm proposing is to cut down on the chance of rocks going into that tunnel with some kind of honey comb cut pattern plastic
1721712893039.png

Good suggestion. I’m in (depending on price) but think a metal mesh might be less prone to impact damage? I see amazon.ca sells black aluminum honeycomb mesh for Can$21.48 delivered (enough to cover both holes), so it’s just a question of securing it properly so it stays on and looks OK?

I received my V6 manual transmission Emira in early June. I noticed it had a different floor mat set-up than earlier models (mine had press-on pegs, instead of screwed-in connectors). Perhaps you’re missing the “vent holes” behind the front tires for that reason (it’s an earlier version)?

How do your floor mats attach to the floor? When did you get your Emira and is it the same V6, not that having a V4 or V6 auto transmission should matter when it comes to the body.
For info mine is a V6 auto, built June 23 & yes it does have the screwed-in connectors.

No hole in my front wheel wells.
RHD V6 manual with Sport suspension, screw down carpet clips, Sep. 2023 delivery.

PXL_20240722_224606012.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

We’ve now verified the second Emira design change that Lotus made, as production went on: the floor mat connectors and front wheel well holes. Wonder if there’s more?

We’ve now verified the second Emira design change that Lotus made, as production went on: the floor mat connectors and front wheel well holes. Wonder if there’s more?
The doors were revised sometime around mid-2023 to fix water retention and paint bubbling....

There are no front wheel well holes.

Those pictures are of the rear wheel. The stones are being kicked up by the front tyre.

If your detailer is getting that wrong you shouldn’t even trust them with a sponge.

Good suggestion. I’m in (depending on price) but think a metal mesh might be less prone to impact damage? I see amazon.ca sells black aluminum honeycomb mesh for Can$21.48 delivered (enough to cover both holes), so it’s just a question of securing it properly so it stays on and looks OK?
yes, that is definitely achievable, and I've seen some good honeycomb looking ones that doesn't look like they're made for chicken coop. You will have to consider the fact that it looks like there are plastic fasteners around this hole and if they can hold the metal mesh. I wish you were closer to where I am geographically so I can template this hole for you.

There are no front wheel well holes.

Those pictures are of the rear wheel. The stones are being kicked up by the front tyre.

If your detailer is getting that wrong you shouldn’t even trust them with a sponge.
Not sure why you’ve posted your comments. The 3 photos I posted were taken personally by me, after the detailer pointed out the rock accumulation, as a courtesy. I was there during all the PPF touch-ups (edges, bubbles, roof redone due to an arm hair accidental deposit) and even helped clean another customer’s vehicle, out of boredom and to do something productive while waiting for my vehicle.

All photos are of a FRONT tire, there is a hole in each wheel well, behind each front tire, and the hole leads to the side moulding behind each front tire, resulting in the rock accumulation shown in 2 of the photos. Neither REAR wheel well had a hole, nor any rock accumulation in the side moulding cavity in front of the rear tire. My description is accurate.

I don't have that hole in the front wheel well, but I do have something like that in both the front and back of the rear wheel well. My car was built in December 2023.

I'm confused.

This image is definitely of the back wheel
1721816520578.png

Compare with how the sideskirts at the front look:
1721816630410.png
1721816994695.png

So the opening is behind the front wheels? Where does it lead to? To the black side skirt area like this?

IMG_5511.jpeg

Can you take a picture like this one but of the front?

1721826923367.png

Last edited:
This is what mine looks like with the fender liner removed (early build, no hole in mine).

There is an opening but it’s very small and it’s blocked by a tab:

IMG_5519.jpeg

IMG_5522.jpeg

Wonder what that area looks like in a newer car.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back