• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Running in procedure

I'll admit his posts can come across pretty brusquely, but labeling?

Multiple people have had their oil tested after the run in. It showed a lot of particulate. Heck, even visually there was a lot. That would lead people to conclude (rightly) that it wasn't run in prior. Saying that it had been would be misinformation. He's not saying you're a no good liar, just that the engines haven't been run in and should be.

Multiple people have had their oil tested after the run in. It showed a lot of particulate. Heck, even visually there was a lot. That would lead people to conclude (rightly) that it wasn't run in prior. Saying that it had been would be misinformation. He's not saying you're a no good liar, just that the engines haven't been run in and should be.

I chose the word misinformation because I didn’t want to use the word lie :) sorry it came across too strongly @David s — I meant no harm by it — I simply don’t want other forum members to take statements not backed in truth or science in addition to voiding their engine warranty. I’m sure your engine is fine — but it’s just not factually correct information.

“Spreader of misinformation”.

Don't spread misinformation =/= spreader of misinformation. The latter means that's just what you do all the time. The first is saying, this singular statement is incorrect. Don't repeat it to others.

@kitkat I find your posts well reasoned and informative. Occasionally blunt, but that's fine. Keep doing you.

I chose the word misinformation because I didn’t want to use the word lie :) sorry it came across too strongly @David s — I meant no harm by it — I simply don’t want other forum members to take statements not backed in truth or science in addition to voiding their engine warranty. I’m sure your engine is fine — but it’s just not factually correct information.
I doubt lotus Australia would send us here away and call us back some one year later for its first service. I’ve been a lotus customer for about 20 years, buying several new cars from them. So I doubt they would bum steer me. I’m only relaying what happens here. Which I would have thought would be the same there. The emira where are soft limited to 5.5k, and progressively this increases with the passing of time(about 400kms). Unless the US have different engines, I would have thought the same procedure applies. I thought it was strange in other posts where the owners talk about getting their oil dropped at 1,000kms. I thought that maybe they were a bit over the top cautious. Now that I hear that some of u even test your oil…well, whatever. Anyway. “Lie” or “misinformation”, it really shouldn’t bother me. Especially when it come through a keyboard(even Stephen Hawkins sounded like superman when he used his keyboard). So I guess I’ll have to harder up and ignore such insults.

The emira where are soft limited to 5.5k, and progressively this increases with the passing of time(about 400kms).
Are you saying you cannot physically rev it above 5.5k before 400km? If so that is the first I have heard of it (I have an i4 so genuinely do not know about the V6)?

I used to work for Mercedes AMG (Sales) and as part of the training were were told about the bench running in proceedure. That said, I personally, would still not go out and give it full beens on a new engine until it had a fare few miles on the clock. We were also advised, it was no longer necessary to have a running in service.
I guess if your Emira is something that you think is going to be a forever car, then some may choose to pamper it a little more than others who just intend to keep a few years and move on.
thanks for the real life insight!

how long ago was that when Merc AMG were training you about the bench running in procedure?

also, about no longer needing a running in service, are you referring to an oil change after 1000 miles?

thank again!