• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Seating Position - How do you find it?!?

I was looking for a thread about seat issues and this looks close enough. I am 5.6 and have tried several positions, watched 100 videos (well!) but I can't figure out why I get middle back stiffness and pain. I drive ALLL kinds of cars - even a bench seat 30 year old SUV with leaf spring suspension doesn't give me any back issues; however, in Emira it's so intense that I can only drive it for an hour; after which I get really uncomfortable. I don't have any back conditions either and super perplexed . Last weekend I went for a longish drive and could feel the stiff back for days after.

2. Another funny one (kind of related) while we are here let me spell it out .

I had an Emira for 3 days from the dealer before I picked up my own. It was fully run-in, so I was able to have a blast and drove it a lot; however, when I got my own, I felt straight away that the break pedal was too far left vs. the car I was driving earlier (RHD/UK). For a day I thought my brain is messing up with me; however, I definitely get a sore outer knee if I am in start stop traffic (too much break pedal) The leg is at an angle. Is this even possible or am I crazy 🤣 . Can the Lotus guys move it ?

In 30 years of driving never felt any of the above , couldn't even imagine this is possible. The car is brilliant but in need to find a way to fix these posture details as they are coming in the way of fun.

Any ideas welcome . If someone found a great seat please share.

I was looking for a thread about seat issues and this looks close enough. I am 5.6 and have tried several positions, watched 100 videos (well!) but I can't figure out why I get middle back stiffness and pain. I drive ALLL kinds of cars - even a bench seat 30 year old SUV with leaf spring suspension doesn't give me any back issues; however, in Emira it's so intense that I can only drive it for an hour; after which I get really uncomfortable. I don't have any back conditions either and super perplexed . Last weekend I went for a longish drive and could feel the stiff back for days after.

I had an Emira for 3 days from the dealer before I picked up my own. It was fully run-in, so I was able to have a blast and drove it a lot; however, when I got my own, I felt straight away that the break pedal was too far left vs. the car I was driving earlier (RHD/UK). For a day I thought my brain is messing up with me; however, I definitely get a sore outer knee if I am in start stop traffic (too much break pedal) The leg is at an angle. Is this even possible or am I crazy 🤣 . Can the Lotus guys move it ?

In 30 years of driving never felt any of the above , couldn't even imagine this is possible. The car is brilliant but in need to find a way to fix these posture details as they are coming in the way of fun.

I can't help with the OEM seats. To me they are wrong and short of a huge amount of surgery, nothing is going to work. The lower back is wallowing in a load of soft foam and it's allowing the vertebrae to move independently. I can help if you would consider using our seats. Some people look at these and wonder how they work but when the spine is held firmly without any pressure points then the back will never hurt.

I can't help with the OEM seats. To me they are wrong and short of a huge amount of surgery, nothing is going to work. The lower back is wallowing in a load of soft foam and it's allowing the vertebrae to move independently. I can help if you would consider using our seats. Some people look at these and wonder how they work but when the spine is held firmly without any pressure points then the back will never hurt.
Thanks!
This may be the only solution, the way things are going. Though I am still perplexed how an OEM seat can be that badly designed and I have no issues even with obvious bad looking ones. Anyhow, may have to visit you one if these days. When are you generally open for business

Thanks!
This may be the only solution, the way things are going. Though I am still perplexed how an OEM seat can be that badly designed and I have no issues even with obvious bad looking ones. Anyhow, may have to visit you one if these days. When are you generally open for business
The factory is open Monday to Friday but If you are ever in Kent I will always be happy to meet you and let you sit in my car.

Make generous use of the lumbar support button and play with the tilt function.
Worked for me. And yes, the pedals are closely set, for heel n toe.
It's quite a difference returning to a regular car, but the Emira isn't a regular car.

The seats are pretty much the only thing I hate about the Emira, but I got them to work for me. I basically set it up like I would a normal car and then push my rear end firmly rearward to compress the middle cushion as much as possible. I think over time this middle cushion has softened a bit and is now more comfortable.

I have never had a car that has a random bump protruding from the middle of the seat that cannot be adjusted by lumbar. Most car seats are flat and the lumbar adds support. Not with the Emira. Since it has that middle protrusion being slouched in the seat is uncomfortable for the back. You can also recline the seat more than you normally would to make the seat fit more “straight” but then the extreme incline is a tiring position to drive in for any duration of time. I can’t really understand the logic as like you I have never experienced this is ANY car I’ve driven across the decades and makes. My feeble guess is that the seat design may encourage a more racing oriented position where you are really more reclined than upright with your legs high up and your torso reclined. But who drives like this in a street car?

Off topic, but I have also never had a car that changed markedly after breaking in. The brake feel, exhaust note, seat cushion, even the KEF system all change for the better over time. Apparently suspension also becomes more supple. Very strange experience for a modern car. Must be a lotus thing.

Make generous use of the lumbar support button and play with the tilt function.
Worked for me. And yes, the pedals are closely set, for heel n toe.
It's quite a difference returning to a regular car, but the Emira isn't a regular car.
Thanks!! Re pedals - I meant difference between the first and second Emira I had . Close pedals is not an issue but the break pedal is too far left, such that the leg is always at an angle. I will play more

Great
The seats are pretty much the only thing I hate about the Emira, but I got them to work for me. I basically set it up like I would a normal car and then push my rear end firmly rearward to compress the middle cushion as much as possible. I think over time this middle cushion has softened a bit and is now more comfortable.

I have never had a car that has a random bump protruding from the middle of the seat that cannot be adjusted by lumbar. Most car seats are flat and the lumbar adds support. Not with the Emira. Since it has that middle protrusion being slouched in the seat is uncomfortable for the back. You can also recline the seat more than you normally would to make the seat fit more “straight” but then the extreme incline is a tiring position to drive in for any duration of time. I can’t really understand the logic as like you I have never experienced this is ANY car I’ve driven across the decades and makes. My feeble guess is that the seat design may encourage a more racing oriented position where you are really more reclined than upright with your legs high up and your torso reclined. But who drives like this in a street car?

Off topic, but I have also never had a car that changed markedly after breaking in. The brake feel, exhaust note, seat cushion, even the KEF system all change for the better over time. Apparently suspension also becomes more supple. Very strange experience for a modern car. Must be a lotus thing.
...great to hear that the breakin will improve some bits... Looking forward to that. . .

Re: off topic - New shoes Syndrome

@VT24SEP where in Surrey are you ? I am on 9k miles now, and if not too far, could potentially meet you to see the differences in pedal and seats. I had to play around a bit before I found the seats comfortable, In June, I did 800 miles in a day in the seats and had no discomfort whatsoever.. send me a DM..

Seriously - I agree with every word you've said in the first paragraphs. My experience has been exactly as you've described. As for the third paragraph, I must admit, the seats have been "less excruciating" in recent weeks (I still haven't reached my 1,000 miles yet), and I'm hoping that it improves to the point where I can safely do long road trips without a back ache.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back