SOS Function?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I just got a message that popped up on my dash saying I need to activate or deactivate the SOS feature. When I checked the manual, it says contact your retailer. I contacted the dealer and they said it's a separate contract Lotus has with a cell service provider, and not something the dealer handles. So is this like an ONSTAR type of service? Anybody else have this message pop up?

This one? I’ve only gotten this as a few other forums members have too.
IMG_2930.jpeg

Yes. Has anybody figured out who "the service center" is and how to contact them?
My dealer told me it’s a known software issue that doesn’t have a fix right now. Apparently the sos has its own separate battery that needs charging and when it gets low it gives you that message. It only gets charge when the engine is running lol (which is why it does away after driving a bit)

My dealer told me it’s a known software issue that doesn’t have a fix right now. Apparently the sos has its own separate battery that needs charging and when it gets low it gives you that message. It only gets charge when the engine is running lol (which is why it does away after driving a bit)
My battery seems to only hold charge for about 18 hours. If I've run enough for a charge, then stop engine and restart, the triangle remains. If I turn it off for a few minutes to let the whole car "shut down" it won't reappear. Like getting gas, food, etc.

While driving around today the yellow triangle disappeared, so I guess that means the SOS battery finally got charged up. Good enough.

I'm now getting this message every time when I start the car after its been sitting for at least 3+ days (on tender). It will go off after driving and restarting the car.
Never got this message in 6 months until I unplugged the battery the 1st time to replace the airbag/haptic buttons.
Least not a actual error msg I guess but annoying. Anyone found a way to get rid of this?

I'm now getting this message every time when I start the car after it’s been sitting for at least 3+ days (on tender). It will go off after driving and restarting the car.
Never got this message in 6 months until I unplugged the battery the 1st time to replace the airbag/haptic buttons.
Least not an actual error msg I guess but annoying. Anyone found a way to get rid of this?
When I first got my car I got that message all the time even if I drove it every few days. Was told by the dealer it’s due to a small SOS battery that goes dead even the car is on a tender and there was no fix. After a few dealer visits for other issues I THINK that there was a software update that fixed it as the sos light has not come back in 4 months
, even when not driving the car for 2 weeks)

In addition to the SOS being driven off of a separate battery that is only charged directly by the alternator when driving, according to this video, the car needs to communicate with a cell tower. When it can’t do that because it is parked in a garage it gives the SOS error.

I saw this in the manual
A warning message (SOS system) may be shown due to limited vehicle use or if stored for long periods. If the message does not extinguish after vehicle use, then please contact your Lotus Retailer
.Just weird I had no issues until 6 months after production. Guess its kinda normal if manual says so.

I saw this in the manual
A warning message (SOS system) may be shown due to limited vehicle use or if stored for long periods. If the message does not extinguish after vehicle use, then please contact your Lotus Retailer
.Just weird I had no issues until 6 months after production. Guess its kinda normal if manual says so.
Mine used to come on every time. Now it can last a week. I found a little trick that helped a lot. Just like some other car functions like radio, SOS will receive power when the ignition is in the lowest convenience setting. So, if my car was sitting on the battery tender, I would just turn on ignition to setting one and let it sit for an hour. It would charge back up.

And if not on the tender, and it's been sitting a long time, before a drive I'd go out 15 minutes early and turn on to setting 1. It gets enough juice to prevent the light from coming on when you start the car then finish charging on the drive.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back