• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Spec'd up Base OR FE -Is there much in it?

ARA

Reaction score
im bored...so thinking

I have placed my deposit for a V6 FE (manual). However, I do wonder what the alternative base car numbers and package look like overall . Is the difference too close to call once the desired options box is ticked. I read that there is a 3k saving on the FE, but I presume that is a like for like 'all boxes' ticked comparison.

If i picked a base, the essentials that I would want:

Performance: V6, Manual, LSD, drivers pack
Exterior: white car, choice of colours on brake calipers, lower black pack, black badges, forged alloys
Interior: 4 way seats, alcantara everyewhere for the race feel/look, alcantara wheel, not bothered about a sound system or cruise control etc, (some of the convenience pack not all in an ideal world for me)...as i type this it sounds like i want the basic but have to pick all 3 packs to get the bits i want on top

So the FE does sound like a good deal if the 3k is a real saving. Is the 3k worth the wait for a white car?

I guess you have already had this debate..im new to the party so please forgive me and point me in the right direction of the thread

thanks

Geely are wanting to grow Lotus into a true premium global brand. If they have to take a hit early on to transition Lotus and take market share and attract customers for share price gains down the road I don't doubt they will

im bored...so thinking

I have placed my deposit for a V6 FE (manual). However, I do wonder what the alternative base car numbers and package look like overall . Is the difference too close to call once the desired options box is ticked. I read that there is a 3k saving on the FE, but I presume that is a like for like 'all boxes' ticked comparison.

If i picked a base, the essentials that I would want:

Performance: V6, Manual, LSD, drivers pack
Exterior: white car, choice of colours on brake calipers, lower black pack, black badges, forged alloys
Interior: 4 way seats, alcantara everyewhere for the race feel/look, alcantara wheel, not bothered about a sound system or cruise control etc, (some of the convenience pack not all in an ideal world for me)...as i type this it sounds like i want the basic but have to pick all 3 packs to get the bits i want on top

So the FE does sound like a good deal if the 3k is a real saving. Is the 3k worth the wait for a white car?

I guess you have already had this debate..im new to the party so please forgive me and point me in the right direction of the thread

thanks

The FE was definitely a £3k saving over Base Edition + same options last July, and in January when I asked again. I think that's roughly equivalent to getting the KEF audio for free.

Whether Lotus can hold the £60k i4 Base price remains to be seen. Costs of raw materials, components, shipping, energy, labour all going up significantly. But Lotus/Geely could choose to absorb the cost and maintain the price, at least for the headline £60k. They could recoup some by increasing the option prices on Base, as most people won't get a zero options car.

It'll be interesting to see how they pitch the i4 FE price. We have hunches about where that should sit based on info so far - my guess was around £70k + OTR compared to £76k for the V6 FE.

From talking to Lotus folks, I think you could get a reasonable car for £4-5k on top of Base - the base seats, base interior materials, a non-base paint eg a metallic, a pack or two (tech and/or drive), base wheels, maybe coloured calipers. I expect "the market" will determine which packs are must haves for re-sale. On the launch Evora the Tech and Sport packs were desirable and Premium pack was nice but not essential. I expect it'll be similar on the Emira.

Traditionally the FE editions come packed with options at a reduced rate, as in you get them almost for nothing!

Given current inflation levels and geo political environment (shortages/war) you can bet the FE will be a bargain compared to cars in the coming years. I expect base next year to start same price as FE today.

Traditionally the FE editions come packed with options at a reduced rate, as in you get them almost for nothing!

Given current inflation levels and geo political environment (shortages/war) you can bet the FE will be a bargain compared to cars in the coming years. I expect base next year to start same price as FE today.

I highly suspect the same. The auto industry is getting hit a lot harder by supply-side issues/inflation than the average consumer inflation rate suggests. A lot of raw material/chip costs have increased well into the double digits over the past year.

I highly suspect the same. The auto industry is getting hit a lot harder by supply-side issues/inflation than the average consumer inflation rate suggests. A lot of raw material/chip costs have increased well into the double digits over the past year.
Yes agree even on cars in the Uk you could have got a good discount on but now there’s no discount.