• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Steering Wheel Press-Type Buttons Now Available from GRP!

GRP

Emira Fanatic
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A lot of you were annoyed with the touch sensitive type buttons on the steering wheels from the factory and for good reason, those things are too sensitive!
We now have the press type buttons available to order on our site. (Ready to ship out around Aug. 5th)
These are brand new buttons that are totally plug and play.
Takes about 30 minutes to swap them out. You can use our custom steering wheel installation write up as a guide on how to access the screws to swap them out.
See our site for some more details and feel free to reach out with any questions!

Press Button Sets from GRP

1722037749265.png

Awesome!
Are these matte finish on the buttons or gloss?

Hey Greg,

I read the DIY for the steering removal, it doesn’t really show until which step is needed to do this button swap.

Would it require the actual removal of the steering wheel?

Thanks

Hey Greg,

I read the DIY for the steering removal, it doesn’t really show until which step is needed to do this button swap.

Would it require the actual removal of the steering wheel?

Thanks
I could have specified, sorry.
You just need to remove the airbag and then you will have access to two small torx screws that hold each button ably in place. Once those are removed the buttons will pull outward, unplug and you can swap them out.

I could have specified, sorry.
You just need to remove the airbag and then you will have access to two small torx screws that hold each button ably in place. Once those are removed the buttons will pull outward, unplug and you can swap them out.
Hey Greg. I already ordered a set and am very much looking forward to this change. However, I have one more question: in removing the airbag, will I have to actually unplug it altogether or can I just leave it wired and remove/replace the button modules? I asked this because I want to avoid potentially setting off any CEL codes.

I asked this because I want to avoid potentially setting off any CEL codes
If you fiddle anywhere near a airbag you tripe check you got no power in the system and the battery disconnected. Therefore it won't matter if you unplug or not, as long as you reinstall correctly there will be no CELs.

Reactions: GRP
Hey Greg. I already ordered a set and am very much looking forward to this change. However, I have one more question: in removing the airbag, will I have to actually unplug it altogether or can I just leave it wired and remove/replace the button modules? I asked this because I want to avoid potentially setting off any CEL codes.

You need to disconnect the battery first, then once that is done you can unplug the airbag and not have any worries about the airbag light coming on. Only way that can happen is if its disconnected while the battery is connected.

You need to disconnect the battery first, then once that is done you can unplug the airbag and not have any worries about the airbag light coming on. Only way that can happen is if its disconnected while the battery is connected.
I think he meant (and Id like to know) can you skip disconnecting the airbag wire plugs after you disconnect the battery (just moving airbag over slightly to get to the switch screws). Will there be room to access the switch screws/bolts or would you need to move the airbag and set completely out of the way to remove/install the switches.

Last edited:
Ordered. I despise the factory touch sensitive ones.

Truely terrible choice from Lotus to make them touch sensitive.

Just holding the steering wheel normally sometimes has my palm graze a touch sensitive part triggering the scroll right function.

I think he meant (and Id like to know) can you skip disconnecting the airbag wire plugs after you disconnect the battery (just moving airbag over slightly to get to the switch screws). Will there be room to access the switch screws/bolts or would you need to move the airbag and set completely out of the way to remove/install the switches.
The airbag needs to be removed to access the screws to swap the switches.
Its a super easy 2 minute job to remove the airbag once the battery is disconnected --just two spring clips presses and it pops right out.

The airbag needs to be removed to access the screws to swap the switches.
Its a super easy 2 minute job to remove the airbag once the battery is disconnected --just two spring clips presses and it pops right out.
"pops right out" is what I'm afraid of! ;)

This is awesome work sourcing these Greg. High fives to anyone who helped him secure the part numbers and a supplier. Are these parts going to be readily available for the foreseeable future (given they are Lynk parts bin stuff)?

(basically wondering if we need to swoop all over this right now like a pack of hungry seagulls...)

Haha, not that sort of a pop out!
Yeah, we should have these readily available and in stock once we get our first shipment.

Reactions: ADC
Yes, that's precisely what I was asking and thanks for bringing up that clarification. Unfortunately Greg's response below means that the airbag wiring does have to be disconnected, but at least the good news is that disconnecting the battery prior to the airbag wiring will not trip CELs..

Yes, that's precisely what I was asking and thanks for bringing up that clarification. Unfortunately Greg's response below means that the airbag wiring does have to be disconnected, but at least the good news is that disconnecting the battery prior to the airbag wiring will not trip CELs..
It does need to be unplugged but it’s a basic flat electrical plug that sits behind the airbag inside the wheel. Easy peasy 👍🏻

Greg...Any chance you could make a quick video showing how to properly remove the airbag and swap out these switches? Thanks!
I can probably do that, we will swap a set in the shop car and try to capture a video of the process.
We do have written instructions on our website under the custom wheel page that shows how to do it as well.