• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Switch on the sideview mirror

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was cleaning my car last night, when I just happened to wipe all around the sideview mirror on the right side of the car, and to my surprise, there's a switch button underneath it! There isn't one on the left sideview mirror, only the right side. Does anybody have any idea what this is for?

I was cleaning my car last night, when I just happened to wipe all around the sideview mirror on the right side of the car, and to my surprise, there's a switch button underneath it! There isn't one on the left sideview mirror, only the right side. Does anybody have any idea what this is for?
Interesting. Checked and I have same. Searched and found nothing in Lotus Service Manual (also odd, should a mirror require repair).
Wonder if it has a 'detection' or release function? It doesn't slide or toggle.
Would be curious if unique to LHD cars?
Something else to add to Lotus mystique.

I had to go out and check my car; it has the same little nubbin of a switch under the passenger mirror (US right hand side).
I was able to click the switch sideways but nothing happened so I put it back where it was.
Weird.

It appears to be a sensor of some kind, it's not a switch. From the context clues and the "tip" extending into airflow slightly, my guess is that this is the ambient outside air temp sensor.

Oddly, it doesn't show in the factory service manual because they only have the LH mirror assembly instructions.

Picture of mine:

1722623719861.png

I apologize if I took some of the fun out of guessing....
Your answer gave me chills, and changed the ambience.
Apology accepted, begrudgingly
@Eagle7 - you are free to go about your business
This is no reflection on the rest of you
The Emira - now with heated trunk and cold beer authenticator

Last edited:
Given the hullabaloo about hot radiator air from the hood vents coming into the cabin when the windows are open, I wonder if having the outside temp sensor there could skew the reading when driving

Well that's my new thing to learn for the day sorted and its only just after 10am here :ROFLMAO:.

Just for completeness I can confirm that the sensor is also present on the right hand mirror for UK RHD cars.