• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

and the rest of my review:

So the clutch biting point is low, once your used to that the car is very easy to pull away, or reverse and manoeuvre, rear view camera is OK quality too, better than one in my Mclaren and GR Yaris. It is extremely easy to drive!

The car has a wide look about it from the outside, once your inside the car does not feel big at all, very easy to judge it and it feels no bigger than my Exige. This car was on sports chassis and goodyear tyres, over rough un-broken ground the car was firm ISH, but amazing damping zero crashiness or jarring from the suspension, so the Touring setup must literally be like a magic carpet but I'd only recommend the latter to someone who really has to drive over pretty terrible roads on a regular basis, once out on the A roads and dual carriage ways the sports and goodyear, well it just works! Cup 2 tyres probably add a touch more firmness due to their stiffer sidewall, a tyre I'd only option for those only driving in Summer or warmer climates or planning on a lot of track days.

Brakes are a little over-assisted but this is a Lotus designed to fit all, you get used to them and they work just fine, powerful and effortless, I drove to the test drive in my 987.2 Boxster Spyder which has optional ceramics, they are better, with better pedal feel and more effective but the brakes on the Emira are fine and probably equal to Porsche steels apart from the over-assistance, Porsche brakes always tend to win on pedal travel and feel, but the ones on the Emira are very good, I'd not be looking to change or upgrade them, effective and good brakes.

Steering, again high hopes here but I fear Lotus have added a little to much power assistance, it could do with a little more weighting, but you can feel the texture of the road somewhat, it is no better than my Porsche Spyder hydraulic steering, I'd say not really any worse either but the Porsche weighting is better judged.

I drove the Emira in all three modes, touring, sport (exhaust gets louder and seems to burble) and track mode (exhaust louder still but less burbles). The steering in any mode was not perfect for me, but it is superior to any modern BMW M car, Audi RS etc, but as people keep mentioning Porsche then the Porsche hydraulic setup on 997/987 generation cars is better for a sports car driver, for city driving the Emira is better. I'd say the Emira steering is equal to that of a 981/991 Porsche with slightly more texture to feel but not as good weighting, splitting hairs here but just trying to be as helpful and informative as I can. The Exige is better though, proper go-kart steering, heavy, feelsome, tiny wheel with no stupid buttons.

Now the let down, no way this car can do 0-60 in 4.3s, maybe down hill not using the clutch, the car felt no faster than my GR Yaris and slower than my 987.2 Spyder, really quite disappointed in the power, I can feel it is definitely the same engine and gearbox as my Exige 410 but it feels like its missing over 100HP, no doubt because of the weight punishment. Some other points I noticed, rev matching is way easier in the Emira than the Exige, it is same as my Porsche, a quick little stab of the accelerator gives a perfect rev match, whereas in my Exige you have to really mean it and stomp the gas pedal, so the Emira is like other brands in regards to this, a nice improvement. The car also has hill assist in tour and sports, in track mode it is disabled, again a good thing. A bad point is the rev limiter even in track mode seems to be around 6700-6800rpm, in tour it is even lower, kind of annoying as it was too low in the Exige at 7200rpm, but this is disappointing but in 2nd and beyond the car is not particular that quick so it won't catch you out unless your napping. My Exige feels like a rocket ship in comparison though, less weight, small wheels and therefor reducing gearing just makes the Emira feel sluggish and heavy in straight line, compared to an Evora 410 sport I drove the Emira feels nearly as quick as that, but not quite. This car really needs 500HP to put it bluntly for anyone who is coming from an Exige or something like a BMW M2 or other fast hot hatch, sports car will be somewhat unimpressed with acceleration, to the point I will be quite surprised to see anyone hitting 0-60 in sub 5s and I doubt it hits 100mph in sub 10s, the engine however like the Exige has good mid-range torque making 3rd and 4th gear over taking moves in the 50-70mph relative effortless.

The the way the car handles is absolutely fine, immense levels of grip and this comes back to needing more power, in the dry like today booting it off a roundabout or out a tight corner in track mode, in second gear that rear end is planted, I'd even hazard that on Goodyears in the wet it will be planted also, a super grippy chassis and I get the sensation probably also quite a safe car at the limit, of course there was no sideways, skids type stuff on a test drive but I feel its not that kind of car. The steering is good, the front-end is good but and I cannot even say what it is but its not telepathic like an Exige or my Boxster is, I really cannot explain it but the front-end just felt a bit odd and not so feelsome whilst in the turn, this could also be a case of needing to learn the car more, not bad just not amazing, but maybe my expectations are too high. I own an Exige 410, 458, 600LT, GT3, Boxster Spyder, GR Yaris, E36 M3, 4.7 V8 Vantage, which is extremely stiff competition for this car and in no way does make me want to get rid of any of them for the Emira, maybe the Vantage or GR Yaris, maybe not what some people want to hear, apologies but I am been brutally honest. My 458 has over fast silly hyper alert steering, the Exige you can't get in and out of and parking is a wrestling match, the 600LT well its kind of perfect as a driving tool but I am sure it will have its issues, the GT3 is a bit harsh for the road, the Boxster Spyder does have a stupid tent for a roof, the Aston has the worlds heaviest clutch and the E36 M3 is just old, and the GR Yaris is just a Toyota that happens to go fast but has an aweful plastic interior. But the driving dynamics, acceleration of the others are in a class above, apart for say the GR Yaris but the others are better sports cars, end of.

The best conclusion I can come to is that the Emira is good, but it is not a master in any area, it is just a good all rounder. Now those who are coming from say a more run of the mill car like a BMW 3 series, an MX5 sports car the Emira is going to blow you away. I'd like it to be a touch louder but it does sound nice, plenty of supercharger whine in the cabin on part throttle and the exhaust sounds OK and burbles nicely, could be louder. Looks wise the Emira pretty much has the entire Porsche lineup beaten, it has those Ferrari looks about it, so the kind of person who drives a Ferrari to be a poser, stop wasting your money, by an Emira it will do it as well, but no it does not drive as good as a Ferrari, certainly not the ones I've driven, is it as fast as some of the older ones, absolutely. For me Lotus have done what they set out to do, make one car which replaces three cars, the downside is that I am afraid it has lost a lot of that special rawness which some of us love, some of us also hate, it has gained weight and its gained bigger wheels making the gearing longer, the result is a nice car. Oh the gearbox was a joy to use, it is identical to my Exige but less notchy and a bit more buttery, no complaints there!

For me I'd like to see an Emira that is 50-100kg lighter with 100HP more, this from a driving dynamics view point would get me excited, but as it is sorry to say it just does not deliver for me but I do have high expectations, but I drove their purposefully in my 12yr old Porsche Boxster Spyder with 320HP which weighs around 1300kg, as a sports car the Boxster Spyder is simply better, much better. As a daily the Emira is better, much better. For me I'd take a Cayman R over the Emira or a GT4, superior sports car, end of. Emira is a superior all rounder though!

However comparing new to new, Emira or Porsche Cayman S or GTS, that would be a tough choice, the Porsche has the more exciting engine and feels more potent, but the Emira beats it on looks and some ways on sound, plus it is different and in some ways that is the real positive, for now the Emira is rare, exclusive, looks like a 100k plus supercar, sounds good and the interior and the quality of it is top notch.

To put some numbers into things:

Lotus Emira V6
Handling = 8.5
Grip = 9.5
Subjective handling Feel = 7
Acceleration = 6
Looks = 9
Sound = 7
Overall = 7.5-8

As I say it is good, I think most owners will be over the moon and I cannot wait to see more on the road, but anyone coming from an Exige will be disappointed unless your one of those crazy people who daily's an Exige in which case you will probably be so happy to experience comfort and toys.

987.2 Boxster Spyder
Handling = 10
Grip = 8
Subjective handling Feel = 9
Acceleration = 7
Looks = 7
Sound = 7
Overall = 8.5

Lotus Exige 410 20th Anniversary
Handling = 9
Grip = 8.5
Subjective feel = 8.5
Acceleration = 9
Looks = 9
Sound = 9
Overall = 9 but I'd never recommend one as a daily car, too harsh, too compromised, but as an event, special toy, track car it is just fantastic!

I won't bother rating my other cars as they cost a lot more, the above is where Lotus is coming from and what they are aiming to compete with, just the newer Porsches, what I will say is I prefer my 987.2 Spyder over a 981 Spyder, I am yet to drive a 718 Spyder but I do know the latter is incredibly good as it has the GT4 suspension and 4.0 motor.

Sorry for it been a bit long, just a brutally honest review. For those wondering, I have cancelled my order, I shall await to see what special editions Lotus brings to the table.

I managed to get a last minute slot at sliverstone today,glad I did.
(Touring set up ,Magma,ice grey leather interior)

I wont go over what everyone seems to say already, in a nutshell,it's worth the long ass wait.

My takeaway,some odd feelings,in a good way:
1) better interior than a porsche(I've had 3)
2) it felt like an old British sports car that I'd been in as a child,can't put my finger on it,my dad had spitfires,stags,jensens etc,it brought back those memories- the demo chap said Lotus have wanted to keep that heritage with the haunches etc,I'm sold.
3) in an odd way it reminded me of my old elise,go kart to a certain extent but refined as a luxury sports car should be
4) planted to the road,took bumps well
5) felt exactly quick enough for the road,will be great fun on the track,definitely not throwback in your chair like a GTR,mclaren etc,but this is sportscar money and it's more than enough for the road.

Its perfect,I couldn't fault it.

The seating and comfort-It felt like a cockpit,seats bolsters and leg bolsters kept me in firm and tight.
The leg room felt kind of small but I like it,in a weird way like getting into a cockpit,I felt part of the car.

I didn't think I would like it as much as I did,I'm glad I ignored my moaning and ranting and stayed put, this is a keeper ,gents(and gals)

Side story:
<moderator: moved to new thread>

Attachments

• IMG-20221110-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20221110-WA0003.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG-20221110-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20221110-WA0004.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 20221110_155355.jpg
    20221110_155355.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 20221110_155352.jpg
    20221110_155352.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 20221110_160048.jpg
    20221110_160048.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Gearbox - changes much improved but notchy, clutch ok. But there was a slight sound 1st/2nd, but much better than Evora.
Seat - much lower than Evora400, but seat base hard and after 40 minutes back ached. Didn’t get comfortable at all.
So apart from seats- good improvements.

Now visual inspection - build quality I wasn’t impressed, both doors had large gaps, passenger was larger than drivers door, resulting in door glass not hitting seal. Same as my Evora400. This is disappointing when so much has been made of laser equipment for alignment of panels and doors.!
Dashboard squeaks and rattles in evidence, again my Evora400 had same.

Opinion on design. I didn’t like the graphics display, I thought it looked cheap and frankly childish. I drive a Volvo XC60 (Geely) and that is so much better. I was hoping for some cross fertilisation. But even Centre stuck on screen which I hate doesn't look right imho.

Now the suspension and drive, the test route chosen was absolutely horrendous. All ring roads urban roads, traffic lights and roundabouts, very busy and no country roads- a little motorway but for the most it was jiggly and harsh. The car was on sports with Goodyear F1. I would now agree with Harry - this is not Lotus like at all. It was harsher than my Evora400 and nothing like my previous Evora sport Racer. Ade when he tested seemed to be on better roads around Hethel than what I experienced.
Steering heavier than I expected, but felt OK. But it wasn’t talking to me like previous Lotuses. Whether it was the roads or that particular car. I am not sure!
Engine - bugger me the car was running in, so not allowed over 4k. It sounded ok in sport mode but nothing to get excited about. I feel the car is too heavy.
The test route did not encourage to be pushed, so I am sure it will be fine.
Now Brakes are powerful, but overservoed - at slow speeds it’s like a digital switch- either on or off. Which made for erratic drive. Was it just me?

Overall- I think I have chosen the wrong suspension.
The car is too much like the Evora for me, this was to be expected, but I feel that for me it hasn’t moved the product on from Evora400/410/430 it’s more polished, but was expecting more. Sorry but there isn’t a sense of occasion in this car.
When I sat in my Esprit Turbo - the width, the leather smell, the boomerang binnacle- shouted something special.
This shouts corporate Kia/Ford etc. this doesn’t shout special.

You can tell by this write up I am totally disappointed. I am more confused by this car, I have taken time during my 2hr drive home to assess the situation. I am not sure this is the car for me. I wish now I hadn’t sold my Evora400 last October. I am in the wilderness were Lotus is concerned.

Gearbox - changes much improved but notchy, clutch ok. But there was a slight sound 1st/2nd, but much better than Evora.
Seat - much lower than Evora400, but seat base hard and after 40 minutes back ached. Didn’t get comfortable at all.

Now visual inspection - build quality I wasn’t impressed, both doors had large gaps, passenger was larger than drivers door, resulting in door glass not hitting seal. Same as my Evora400. This is disappointing when so much has been made of laser equipment for alignment of panels and doors.!

Opinion on design. I didn’t like the graphics display, I thought it looked cheap and frankly childish. I drive a Volvo XC60 (Geely) and that is so much better. I was hoping for some cross fertilisation. But even Centre stuck on screen which I hate doesn't look right imho.

Now the suspension and drive, the test route chosen was absolutely horrendous. All ring roads urban roads, traffic lights and roundabouts, very busy and no country roads- a little motorway but for the most it was jiggly and harsh. The car was on sports with Goodyear F1. I would now agree with Harry - this is not Lotus like at all. It was harsher than my Evora400 and nothing like my previous Evora sport Racer. Ade when he tested seemed to be on better roads around Hethel than what I experienced.
Steering heavier than I expected, but felt OK. But it wasn’t talking to me like previous Lotuses. Whether it was the roads or that particular car. I am not sure!
Engine - bugger me the car was running in, so not allowed over 4k. It sounded ok in sport mode but nothing to get excited about. I feel the car is too heavy.
Now Brakes are powerful, but overservoed - at slow speeds it’s like a digital switch- either on or off. Which made for erratic drive. Was it just me?

The car is too much like the Evora for me, this was to be expected, but I feel that for me it hasn’t moved the product on from Evora400/410/430 it’s more polished, but was expecting more. Sorry but there isn’t a sense of occasion in this car.
When I sat in my Esprit Turbo - the width, the leather smell, the boomerang binnacle- shouted something special.

You can tell by this write up I am totally disappointed. I am more confused by this car, I have taken time during my 2hr drive home to assess the situation. I am not sure this is the car for me. I wish now I hadn’t sold my Evora400 last October. I am in the wilderness were Lotus is concerned.

interesting...especially the back ache? I used to get this in the 235 way porsche seats, which were meant to be great, but never worked well for me, especially in the paddle shift, hence not using my left leg.
Worrying build quality, shame you have no fotos, but its something people need to keep checking on and reporting.

I agree with the interior remarks>
The car really does seem to be a bit like Marmite ... some people think its great, all of it, and others are far from sure... if we get over the looks.

In the past I've tried to curate various threads about test drives into a few focused threads. With more demo cars now arriving in Europe and US - and "soon" in UK - let's try again.

This thread is for all customer test drive reviews with production-spec dealer demo cars. Where possible please include basic info about the car you drove, particularly the suspension (Touring or Sports) and tyres (Eagle F1 or Cup2). Some info about the mix of road types and surface qualities is useful, as is an idea of what other cars you have owned as comparisons to the Emira.

The emphasis is on the test drive and review itself, and any questions people have on that. It's not about "when is my dealer getting a demo car" discussions!

Happy testing!

Hi everyone, I've been doing some curating of this thread since it started, to ensure the focus remains as originally intended: test drives on the road of production cars by forum members.

I've had to delete more posts in the last few days, so wanted to make a few points:
  • The focus is on the review from the test driver. It's their context and their opinion. If you disagree that's OK but we're not getting into long debates here
  • Asking questions to clarify is fine
  • Correcting factual inaccuracies is fine, such as how the e-brake is supposed to work
  • Track driving experiences belong in the Track Experience thread here
  • Reviews from other sources will be moved or removed, this is for reviews by forum members
  • Side topics and points of detail that extend to multiple posts may be moved to their own thread (eg warranty)
  • Discussions straying off into debates of the Emira's characteristics and competitors will be removed, but test drivers making comparisons to other cars they have driven is fine in that context
  • (...and sometimes I break my own rules ;) )
Remember, people are here to read about driving and using the car, so let's keep it #forthedrivers

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to write up their reviews, it's been great to read them all and I'm sure is whetting the appetite for everyone waiting for their own test drive.

The gearbox is notchy by design on this gearbox, its from a diesel toyota and then modified to fit the toyota camry engine, but compared to my Exige 410 which is very notchy, the Emira was less so with a more buttery feel, I enjoyed the gearbox, found it befitting of a sports car which to me is what the Emira is, a daily drive-able sports car.

Had no interior squeaks in the car I drove, like you not so sure about the displays and the infotainment seem to go from responsive to slow or hanging at times, KEF audio system was OK but a let down for me, was expecting more.

Car I drove had too tight weather seals as drivers window would go up then come down. So there is some issues but maybe the demo cars are not going through the same tight checks as customer cars, guess we will find out when customers get cars if they have niggles or issues.

The sports suspension I can see would be an issue over bad roads but I found it acceptable, would like to drive a Touring though because if it takes away none of the sportiness feel but rides better, then it is surely the best option for mainly road driving.

The engine in the car I drove, I gave it everything, took it to the limiter a couple of times, after which I was requested to rev it a little gentler so I changed up at 6000-6500rpm instead. To me the car never felt particular urgent or fast, end of the day its just a Toyota Camry engine with a blower and that becomes apparent especially in a car as heavy as the Emira, it just feels not that quick if your coming from anything moderately fast, best way to put it is the car feels around 300HP due to the weight, when I drove an Evora 410 sport that also felt a bit underwhelming to me as well, but the Emira is slower, in the Exige the engine works with so much less weight and shorter gearing (due to smaller wheels). But I did really like how easy the Emira was to rev match, much easier than an Evora or Exige. But my Boxster Spyder with 320HP feels the quicker car and more enjoyable at top-end with the 7600rpm limiter.

Agreed on the brakes, perform very well, but over servo, you do eventually get used to them though.

As I say I've cancelled my order, it won't be a daily for me but an addition and its not special enough for that, I shall await what special editions come along, maybe even a base car will be the better car optioned with basic seats, basic stereo etc. will save weight plus the saving from engine could end up with a car 60-100kg lighter depending on options and if tuning options come for the AMG giving 460HP easily it will be a much more rapid car due to the much shorter gearing the 8 speed DCT has also.

Anyone buying as a daily is going to be happy, anyone buying as an addition to other cars might be disappointed or people coming from Porsche or other Lotus may also be disappointed especially if your after a true weekend sports fun car, the Emira is absolutely more aimed at the daily driver and I think Lotus done a good job and most will be happy.

I read one post and I feel like it was a completely different car than what I drove, then the next review I read feels like it is a mirror-image of my experience. I was 99% convinced the car was going to fit me to a T and stay with me for many years, but when I drove it, I felt like I was in a bad dream and things were not as they should be. I could feel the energy/magic within me that had accumulated over the previous 14 months start draining out, like someone had pulled the plug.

I know some folks on here still don't want to believe/trust my test drive review as accurate or honest, however it was nothing but that. I am happy for those who love it, and if you don't, then don't try to kid yourself. To me it felt like I was at the altar and decided to cancel the wedding.

Last edited:
I read one post and I feel like it was a completely different car than what I drove, then the next review I read feels like it is a mirror-image of my experience. I was 99% convinced the car was going to fit me to a T and stay with me for many years, but when I drove it, I felt like I was in a bad dream and things were not as they should be. I could feel the energy/magic within me that had accumulated over the previous 14 months start draining out, like someone had pulled the plug.

I know some folks on here still don't want to believe/trust my test drive review as accurate or honest, however it was nothing but that. I am happy for those who love it, and if you don't, then don't try to kid yourself.
I think this is a true testament to its not going to be for everyone,Marmite.

I was rather skeptical before the drive too,the delays almost pushed Me to the point of leaving.
I left Lotus initially as I wanted comfort and abit of luxury in a sports car, not much, but just better than a raw elise. Porsche filled that fix.

But I kept finding it wasn't sports car enough,I had the Astons,Maserati afterwards,more luxury but still I wanted that sports feel.
I knew I wanted a lotus but the quality wasn't there,until the Emira.

Point being,it depends on what we really want and would settle for.

The emira is by no means a power horse compared to a GTR or 812 etc,but it's got more than enough pull for the road and will be fun enough in the track

It might not break your neck with speed,but it will get some rubber necking from the coochies in the street.

Horses for courses and all that,if you want power,go mclaren,GTR or if you don't care about the brand go for an m4 or R8 etc, if you want a solid build ,go Porsche, if you want a supercar,go Ferrari,lambo, but for the money mark,I personally feel lotus have it spot on here.

Last edited:

I know some folks on here still don't want to believe/trust my test drive review as accurate or honest, however it was nothing but that. I am happy for those who love it, and if you don't, then don't try to kid yourself. To me it felt like I was at the altar and decided to cancel the wedding.
I was thinking about your review when I went for my drive. I can certainly see how someone 2 inches taller than me and bigger feet would not feel comfortable in the Emira.

I was thinking about your review when I went for my drive. I can certainly see how someone 2 inches taller than me and bigger feet would not feel comfortable in the Emira.
As a 5'9 man who's head was 3 inches over the head rest I still think it's a borderline safety issue in a modern car.
The pedal box is tight for an everyday car so is at odds with the overall package.
I normally wear size 9/43 boots of some description and don't think I could in the Emira. Will be wearing my narrowest shoes for the test drive for sure

Section 6 of the above details specifications within the regulations for EU approval for head restraints for all vehicles - they must have met these to get approval....

Like most others in the UK I've been waiting for this Emira test drive for too long. I'm small, 5' 6", under 70kg/150lb, size 8 shoe. My car history is a bit different, 3 mid 60s Mk 1 Mini Cooper S', 1954 Austin Healey 100M (3 speed + overdrive 2nd and 3rd), 1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer ( 4.5L, centre throttle, RH gear change, no synchro etc) 1982 Mk1 VW Golf GTI, lots of 6 cylinder BMW 3 series coupes up to E92, early lightweight S1 Elise which I still have and will keep. Not that fast by today's standards but still good fun on B roads. I've competed with karts and rally cars, including pace note closed road events in Europe, some time ago now. I've done track days with early Ferrari V8s and driven various Porsches up to modern day, none of which really grabbed me, although I remember the 944S around the Millbrook Alpine circuit was pretty good, until someone rolled one and they slowed us all down. Also 8v and 16v Lancia Integrales which were muscular and certainly did grab my attention.

Ultimately, you have to decide what you want from this car. Other people's reviews and those of the journalists may give you some things to consider, but it's you who are spending the money so you need to largely ignore all that's been said and make up your own mind. Other cars in the £100k or £200k bracket may be better in some respects, perhaps all respects, but so they should be and you're not buying one of those. You're buying a car that's well under £100k, comparable only with the Cayman 4.0 GTS or perhaps the Corvette C8.

Do you like the looks? I think it's spectacular and it was the first thing which attracted me, as opposed to a Porsche which is both bland and two a penny. I see them everywhere. Build quality was pretty good both inside and out, way better than the Evora, on a par with the Cayman, and, good enough for me. I like the interior to be simple and functional, which is probably why I've always favoured BMWs. The Emira is similar in that respect in that it's a nice place to be without being overdone.

I drove the Endeavour Essex Emira on Touring suspension yesterday, and, given the state of UK roads both now and into the future, I'm pleased that's what I've specified for my Emira. It wasn't harsh over poor surfaces, turn in was good, no understeer at road speeds, it felt planted. Not the fastest car in the world but quite fast enough for road use and a match for the main competition. I felt it was similar to the Evora GT410. If you want a car to see off everything else at the lights, then this probably isn't the car for you. This isn't what this car is about, and, as the Irishman is reputed to have said, if you want to get to X I wouldn't start from here.

I didn't even look at the pedals, I never do. My feet found them and the left foot rest without problem. Heeling and toeing was easy too. I tend to only glance at the gear knob so that I know whether it's five or six speed and where reverse is. Mrs AudiR8 wouldn't need one of Leonard's knitted covers as the knob was smooth. The gear change action is riflebolt precise and I was able to change gear quickly and easily without missing a change. The clutch engaged near the top of it's travel and was not heavy. The headrest was fine for me as I'm short, the seats were comfortable and I felt that the bolster support was good. Visibility in the door and rear mirrors was pretty good too. I had no problem with the steering wheel shape or thickness, it was fine for driving at quarter to three position. I didn't bother giving the infotainment system more than a cursory glance as I'll use an old school iPod or memory stick if I want music. The handbrake was in manual mode but easy to apply and release, and, coupled with the hill start assist, worked well.

Endeavour's prescribed route included B roads and dual carriageway but the roads were quite busy so I wasn't able to really stretch the car. It can poodle along at 35mph in sixth and accelerate from that speed, but not with any great oomph. Or you can use second, third and fourth gears where the acceleration is linear and it gets up and goes well enough. I didn't really hear any great wind noise so the seals were obviously fine. I got into Sport mode once we got going and the steering became a little more direct along with the louder exhaust. In either Tour or Sport mode the exhaust noise was fine, not obtrusive in the former and a real howl in the latter at higher revs.

After my drive Matt at Endeavour took my wife around a short loop so that she could see the interior, gauge the comfort of the ride and the seats, and, the overall experience of travelling in the car. Like me, she really liked it. I'm told January delivery. We'll see.

Last edited:
I have my test drive schedule for 11/15 at Boardwalk (redwood city). And...im outside of the country, darn it. But they allowed my wife to test drive for me. So I'll be able to get the wife's perspective! She is not a car person at all (drives an X3 because it's "taller" and makes her feel safe) but she is the best wife and supports all car enthusiast activities. I'm curious what she'll think.

As a 5'9 man who's head was 3 inches over the head rest I still think it's a borderline safety issue in a modern car.
The pedal box is tight for an everyday car so is at odds with the overall package.
I normally wear size 9/43 boots of some description and don't think I could in the Emira. Will be wearing my narrowest shoes for the test drive for sure
I wear Asics trainers - size 10.5, not especially narrow, no issue with pedals - I was able to heel and toe as the pedals were perfectly placed

Emira from a 981 gt4 point of view

A great test drive today with @central_lotus_nottingham , great route on mixed roads for over an hour. It doesn't move the game on from my gt4 from a driving experience but it is comparable, very similar in fact and in a stunning package with a quality interior, so to me that's a great result for lotus. No real complaints at all tbh, slightly notchy shift but I liked the mechanical feel of it. Sounds nice, turns in well, this is on sports chassis which is great on smooth roads but a bit fidgety at times so glad I went touring for UK roads. Brakes decent, clutch feel a non issue, loved the steering wheel size and feel. Performance felt as expected, not mind bending but I'm very used to 4-500bhp cars, very usable on road Performance that you can actually enjoy using. Will be easy to live with and plenty of fun on a weekend run. I like the old school drive and feel wrapped in a pretty and modern package.

Oh and if you're looking for a Hethel yellow car they have one for sale, 11miles and £105k

I wish I hadn’t sold my evora 400 in 2021 😅

Like most others in the UK I've been waiting for this Emira test drive for too long. I'm small, 5' 6", under 70kg/150lb, size 8 shoe. My car history is a bit different, 3 mid 60s Mk 1 Mini Cooper S', 1954 Austin Healey 100M (3 speed + overdrive 2nd and 3rd), 1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer ( 4.5L, centre throttle, RH gear change, no synchro etc) 1982 Mk1 VW Golf GTI, lots of 6 cylinder BMW 3 series coupes up to E92, early lightweight S1 Elise which I still have and will keep. Not that fast by today's standards but still good fun on B roads. I've competed with karts and rally cars, including pace note closed road events in Europe, some time ago now. I've done track days with early Ferrari V8s and driven various Porsches up to modern day, none of which really grabbed me, although I remember the 944S around the Millbrook Alpine circuit was pretty good, until someone rolled one and they slowed us all down. Also 8v and 16v Lancia Integrales which were muscular and certainly did grab my attention.

Ultimately, you have to decide what you want from this car. Other people's reviews and those of the journalists may give you some things to consider, but it's you who are spending the money so you need to largely ignore all that's been said and make up your own mind. Other cars in the £100k or £200k bracket may be better in some respects, perhaps all respects, but so they should be and you're not buying one of those. You're buying a car that's well under £100k, comparable only with the Cayman 4.0 GTS or perhaps the Corvette C8.

Do you like the looks? I think it's spectacular and it was the first thing which attracted me, as opposed to a Porsche which is both bland and two a penny. I see them everywhere. Build quality was pretty good both inside and out, way better than the Evora, on a par with the Cayman, and, good enough for me. I like the interior to be simple and functional, which is probably why I've always favoured BMWs. The Emira is similar in that respect in that it's a nice place to be without being overdone.

I drove the Endeavour Essex Emira on Touring suspension yesterday, and, given the state of UK roads both now and into the future, I'm pleased that's what I've specified for my Emira. It wasn't harsh over poor surfaces, turn in was good, no understeer at road speeds, it felt planted. Not the fastest car in the world but quite fast enough for road use and a match for the main competition. I felt it was similar to the Evora GT410. If you want a car to see off everything else at the lights, then this probably isn't the car for you. This isn't what this car is about, and, as the Irishman is reputed to have said, if you want to get to X I wouldn't start from here.

I didn't even look at the pedals, I never do. My feet found them and the left foot rest without problem. Heeling and toeing was easy too. I tend to only glance at the gear knob so that I know whether it's five or six speed and where reverse is. Mrs AudiR8 wouldn't need one of Leonard's knitted covers as the knob was smooth. The gearstick action is riflebolt precise and I was able to change gear quickly and easily without missing a change. The clutch engaged near the top of it's travel and was not heavy. The headrest was fine for me as I'm short, the seats were comfortable and I felt that the bolster support was good. Visibility in the door and rear mirrors was pretty good too. I had no problem with the steering wheel shape or thickness, it was fine for driving at quarter to three position. I didn't bother giving the infotainment system more than a cursory glance as I'll use an old school iPod or memory stick if I want music. The handbrake was in manual mode but easy to apply and release, and, coupled with the hill start assist, worked well.

Endeavour's prescribed route included B roads and dual carriageway but the roads were quite busy so I wasn't able to really stretch the car. It can poodle along at 35mph in sixth and accelerate from that speed, but not with any great oomph. Or you can use second, third and fourth gears where the acceleration is linear and it gets up and goes well enough. I didn't really hear any great wind noise so the seals were obviously fine. I got into Sport mode once we got going and the steering became a little more direct along with the louder exhaust. In either Tour or Sport mode the exhaust noise was fine, not obtrusive in the former and a real howl in the latter at higher revs.

After my drive Matt at Endeavour took my wife around a short loop so that she could see the interior, gauge the comfort of the ride and the seats, and, the overall experience of travelling in the car. Like me, she really liked it. I'm told January delivery. We'll see.
I think we need a beer 🍺 Would love to hear some of your stories. Great car history.
Nice review as well 👍

My 2 penneth, test drove the Ashford demo today.

The TLDR version:
Looks great
Drives great
Sounds great
Inside not great
3 out of 4 - pretty good

IMG_3219.jpg

The steering is amazing. I didn’t expect to notice that but it's the number one thing I remember from today. I'm no expert but think maybe the sports setup - different camber/castor etc must be a contributory factor?
Sports is not too hard at all for me (felt much softer than my Exige, helped by overall size of Emira, softer seats, etc.) If I go ahead I will change my order back to sports. I had originally spec'd sports, then switched to touring. Dam Harry and YouTube videos!

400bhp is enough for majority of road driving. Didn’t do much in way of speed, salesman had been told to ask speed limits be taken seriously. Apparently in the first few days of test drives, the trackers have been pinging at head office. It's not scare yourself silly Exige style power to weight but I bet if you wind it up it's great fun. The clutch felt super low. Didn't like that.

Engine/exhaust noise in sports mode was really nicely tuned. Probably a bit better than I thought it would be actually. Effort has clearly been made. Thank you Lotus. The gear change is good too, a bit less ‘fun’ and mechanical than the Exige, to be expected. I didn't like the cheap looking leathery gaiter and you really can't see the gear change mechanism but fair play to them for keeping it in the production car. Though I think they may have been better off fighting for other bits of the interior for the win.

For me the interior is the only real negative. It's not as cohesive as I had hoped for in final production and 80k on the drive. The dash alcantara and carpet do not shout quality to me. It's ok at glance but as an avowed detail freak it would annoy me. The seat is not great, let's be honest. It's big and it doesn't really belong in a drivers car. With a great seat I'm 90% staying with the order, as is I'm currently at 50-50. Minor but the electric adjustment switches are a bit naff. I think I'm relatively average in height (5ft9 and a bit!) but I had to have the seat quite far forward, the pedal box is miles down in the footwell. That made it hard to adjust steering wheel to a decent position to see the clocks/dash. The steering wheel is on the large side and I started to wonder how much the need to incorporate the Geely touch controls impacted on this. The shape is quite cool though, gives it some individuality.
To try and stop over-analysing every interior element.. it just feels a little too much like it was built to a restricted set of parameters, the Geely parts bin thing. Like the design team said, it would be amazing if we had a modern day Esprit feel. It very nearly does. But the bean counters said, 'as long as you incorporate these bits'. So in the final resolution it fell just a bit short of the vision. The interior was the one thing I was hoping the production cars would have taken up a notch or two. Though part of me did expect it to be like this, it was still a bit of a disappointment. It's not as good as the German/Japanese equivalents.

Summary: it’s a great car overall and many will love and enjoy it. Great looks, enough power and most importantly it really is engaging to drive. Which is why I'm a bit gutted the last finishing touches inside let it down - look close enough and you can see where the cool sports company stop and the big Chinese OEM start.

So in many ways it is definitely still a Lotus!

Lastly, I just remembered usability. It ticks that box if that's your box. It's not mine, which probably gives away what my decision will be. This my friends is what I drove to and from the test drive and honestly, I think the interior is more cohesive. If a little noisier :D

IMG_3217.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back