• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

If everything will go as planned I’ll do a test drive in a week or two and I’ll give my full impression, after reading a lot of your reviews which were helpful I got one thing to say, a lot of people keep stating the car is 100K€ but the base price is more like 65-70K (for the V6) and that’s the number you need to think of when talking about performance IMO (maybe 5-7K extra for performance options like LSD or other things if they won’t be standard on the base) but other than that everything else is luxury (like seats maybe, audio, materials etc).
Having said that, I will go to the test drive with more realistic expectations when it comes to the power and not expect a 100K car performance. About the interior I can’t fully comment because I haven’t seen it yet but I would expect something nice (again not 100K nice as it’s based on a 65K car the same as you’d expect an M2 and RS3 to have mostly the interior as the base model but uplifted here and there) and for that money it seems fantastic. (few of the cars I had/ve: N55 M2, 718 Boxster, 992 carrera, 22 R8 (Quattro), RSQ8, BRZ, Huracan STO, S8 (v10 and tt V8), 8Y RS3 and more and I’d compare the Emira to the RS3, M2 and 718, not to an R8 or an STO! (sorry but it was a bit absurd to compare it to a 600LT and even a GT4 which is a track focused cayman not a “regular” one by any means)).
That’s just my honest opinion.

I was just going to look at the car yesterday at Boardwalk Lotus because I didn’t get a test drive time slot, plus I had to catch a flight at SFO. But the customer for the 9:15 slot didn’t show up so Kyle got me a quick test drive in the Hethel Yellow (with Sport suspension) demo car they had.

I had a blast and was extremely impressed. Things of note: The pedals are very close (not in a bad way, makes for easy heel-and-toeing), unlike what I’m used to in my 2006 911; the seating is excellent and the driving position is spot on; shifting gears is so on point (it felt like it had a gated shifter); and the acceleration and exhaust sound were sublime. I was in such a rush to not miss my flight that I didn’t get a chance to explore more.

Anyhow, I’m even more excited for this car after the test drive and looking forward to my own HY V6 FE next year!

Attachments

• CBDE9B89-C929-4717-8F4C-413EB20ED1FA.jpeg
    CBDE9B89-C929-4717-8F4C-413EB20ED1FA.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 105
  • CC9D3BA3-34C6-4AAA-9AF2-D6909EA20AB5.jpeg
    CC9D3BA3-34C6-4AAA-9AF2-D6909EA20AB5.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 101
  • D04E2EE4-4E8D-4A63-A38E-CF4B044EEC86.jpeg
    D04E2EE4-4E8D-4A63-A38E-CF4B044EEC86.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 12C1C392-5669-4DE8-B012-03B496C694D2.jpeg
    12C1C392-5669-4DE8-B012-03B496C694D2.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 94
  • FC03494B-1038-467C-AE9E-50E4F9994FE0.jpeg
    FC03494B-1038-467C-AE9E-50E4F9994FE0.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 194B8A47-ECC9-4BDB-A9C4-E6F721C027B8.jpeg
    194B8A47-ECC9-4BDB-A9C4-E6F721C027B8.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 96
I was just going to look at the car yesterday at Boardwalk Lotus because I didn’t get a test drive time slot, plus I had to catch a flight at SFO. But the customer for the 9:15 slot didn’t show up so Kyle got me a quick test drive in the Hethel Yellow (with Sport suspension) demo car they had.

I had a blast and was extremely impressed. Things of note: The pedals are very close (not in a bad way, makes for easy heel-and-toeing), unlike what I’m used to in my 2006 911; the seating is excellent and the driving position is spot on; shifting gears is so on point (it felt like it had a gated shifter); and the acceleration and exhaust sound were sublime. I was in such a rush to not miss my flight that I didn’t get a chance to explore more.

Anyhow, I’m even more excited for this car after the test drive and looking forward to my own HY V6 FE next year!
How was the route?

That's what I want to hear! Love the power in my Supra but the feel and engagement leaves A LOT to be desired...
If you ever get a chance to drive the new manual Supra, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts! I will only drive a stick! 👍☺️

I think it‘s clear from so many test drivers thus far that in 99% of instances it’s plenty fast enough for street use and ticks more boxes than other cars in this range, but those coming from or comparing to other Lotuses or slightly faster cars are underwhelmed by the power and prefer a higher red line and a bit more anger and urgency in the noice department. We know Lotus can get more out of this engine…at least 430 (I’m not an expert here so plz correct me if wrong). My feeling is and please correct me if I’m wrong, with mass production but no expanded service network at this point - they might want to err on the side of caution by tuning conservatively. Does anyone think there‘s any chance of performance options available on base that didn’t make the FE? I assume there will be 12 O’clock stripe on V6 manual and ADAS options that they wanted on the FE but would have held things up. Or under Geely do you think this is it? Or might be reserved for a final edition?

I think it‘s clear from so many test drivers thus far that in 99% of instances it’s plenty fast enough for street use and ticks more boxes than other cars in this range...
It is strange/funny how different the reviews of basically the same car can be. Shifter is very positive like a rifle bolt... shifter is pretty vague. Plenty of power to have fun...power is pretty disappointing, steering is fantastic....steering doesn't have enough feedback.

I take the reviews like any reviews when looking for a new product, say a new printer. Look at all the reviews and discount the few that are really bad and the few that are really too over-the-top good, and then consider the remaining ones to be valid. Not that the other opinions aren't valid, but get rid of the outliers like with any statistical data.

It is strange/funny how different the reviews of basically the same car can be. Shifter is very positive like a rifle bolt... shifter is pretty vague. Plenty of power to have fun...power is pretty disappointing, steering is fantastic....steering doesn't have enough feedback.
Yeah, I find this very interesting. All about expectations and perspective.

I went into is, like some on here, with a nice stable of cars that will not only beat but thrash it in many areas BUT still think it was amazing at what it was built for and that is what I wanted it for.

I look to been right when, as you say, if you come from any other Lotus or some select cars , you will be disappointed.

Percentage wise, more people think the steering and handling superb.
It is about 50-50 on power being enough.
It is almost 50-50 on sports vs touring but towards touring on bad road experiences.
Sound positiveness seems to be over 50%.
Interior about 50 - 50 but 100% agreement on the step up from before.

The only thing people seem to totally agree on is the looks.

And that is actually enough for me even if I found everything else average.

As it happens, I thought Lotus had nailed the spec for me, as a brand new 3rd car and winter/rain use so I still remain delighted.

I take the reviews like any reviews when looking for a new product, say a new printer. Look at all the reviews and discount the few that are really bad and the few that are really too over-the-top good, and then consider the remaining ones to be valid. Not that the other opinions aren't valid, but get rid of the outliers like with any statistical data.

Haven’t the vast majority of Emira driving impressions been overwhelming positive? Not just from customers but many journalists and publications as well? The negatives seem to stem mainly from expectations being out of wack with the product as a mid range sports car.

Finally test drove today, even with all the criticism it has received (most of which I found true), the car still has a lot of personality — I think I’ll keep my order and just get used to the flaws.

The only criticism I didn’t agree with was orange peel. The Hethel Yellow I drove had very minimal to no orange peel in multiple angles I examined.

Finally test drove today, even with all the criticism it has received (most of which I found true), the car still has a lot of personality — I think I’ll keep my order and just get used to the flaws.

The only criticism I didn’t agree with was orange peel. The Hethel Yellow I drove had very minimal to no orange peel in multiple angles I examined.

Glad you finally got to drive one! Would love to hear more of your thoughts on it....

Glad you finally got to drive one! Would love to hear more of your thoughts on it....

Negatives:
- Power and torque are absolutely lacking, this is a large step down from what I’m working with and I’m okay with that.
- Gear box is really slow, I think the synchros just aren’t very modern. I even had a small grind into gear while shifting.
- Interior is considerably smaller than I thought it would be, it’s definitely more Supra sized interior, I would need to get used to it again.
- Pedal box is really small and offset, I’m a size 9.5 US mens 43 euro and they’ve managed to cram all 3 pedals into a space where the accelerator and brake pedal would be.
- Infotainment I found was placed far too low and not very driver oriented. This feels more of an afterthought and lessens the premium feel of the interior.
- The steering wheel off centered axis is annoying at low speeds and I found myself trying to grab a missing chunk of the steering wheel maneuvering in a parking lot. I could find this to similarly be annoying in a slide situation at the track as letting go of the steering wheel simply isn’t possible smoothly.

Good:
- Shifter feel was damn near gated, very positive with a normal amount of throw.
- Steering precision was great and lock to lock and ratio are perfect with what a sports car should have.
- Steering feedback was fantastic as expected and very much in line with what the wheels were doing. If this hasn’t been present I think I’d be letting this car go.
- Noisier than expected, I list this as a plus because I’m not buying a quiet sports car.
- Visibility was excellent as you’d expect.
- Visually the car well balanced in proportions and I love the looks.
- Nearly no orange peel I could see anywhere.
- Brakes weren’t as touchy as people mentioned, I thought they provided very linear brake feel with the OEM compounds.

I think overall I’d love to keep both the M4 and maybe trade it in with an M3 — and supplement with the Emira. This doesn’t really make sense considering I also have a Tesla Model 3. If I have to part ways with the M4 for this car I have to admit I will miss the versatility of the M4. The Emira is much more purposeful in the sense that it’s purely about the driving — while something like an M car is a car you can live with everyday, find it easy to drive, and do everything in but also lay down and handle loads of power and torque.

Negatives:
- Power and torque are absolutely lacking, this is a large step down from what I’m working with and I’m okay with that.
- Gear box is really slow, I think the synchros just aren’t very modern. I even had a small grind into gear while shifting.
- Interior is considerably smaller than I thought it would be, it’s definitely more Supra sized interior, I would need to get used to it again.
- Pedal box is really small and offset, I’m a size 9.5 US mens 43 euro and they’ve managed to cram all 3 pedals into a space where the accelerator and brake pedal would be.
- Infotainment I found was placed far too low and not very driver oriented. This feels more of an afterthought and lessens the premium feel of the interior.
- The steering wheel off centered axis is annoying at low speeds and I found myself trying to grab a missing chunk of the steering wheel maneuvering in a parking lot. I could find this to similarly be annoying in a slide situation at the track as letting go of the steering wheel simply isn’t possible smoothly.

Good:
- Shifter feel was damn near gated, very positive with a normal amount of throw.
- Steering precision was great and lock to lock and ratio are perfect with what a sports car should have.
- Steering feedback was fantastic as expected and very much in line with what the wheels were doing. If this hasn’t been present I think I’d be letting this car go.
- Noisier than expected, I list this as a plus because I’m not buying a quiet sports car.
- Brakes weren’t as touchy as people mentioned, I thought they provided very linear brake feel with the OEM compounds.

I think overall I’d love to keep both the M4 and maybe trade it in with an M3 — and supplement with the Emira. This doesn’t really make sense considering I also have a Tesla Model 3. If I have to part ways with the M4 for this car I have to admit I will miss the versatility of the M4. The Emira is much more purposeful in the sense that it’s purely about the driving — while something like an M car is a car you can live with everyday, find it easy to drive, and do everything in but also lay down and handle loads of power and torque.
Easy. Sell the Tesla. 😇

Negatives:

Good:

Agreed. Everyone knows it needs more power, which is a shame because Lotus should have released it with 450HP to improve on the Evora as much as they did looks wise.

Appreciate your detailed feedback. If Lotus continues to delay things and early FE receivers continue to report issues, I'll eventually have enough saved to get a McLaren that'll really have the power and excitement I'm after. However, the Emira still has those 3 pedals I want! My realistic dream garage continues to change and I no longer see the Emira FE as a forever car, but maybe a GT or final edition with more power and bugs worked out would be worthy of the garage spot. Hopefully the upgraded versions will still be offered with a manual transmission!

I test drove it at Boardwalk Lotus today at 4 PM. Hethel yellow with black pack, sport suspension, Michelin Cup 2, and manual transmission. The pedals were close together but I didn’t have any problems. That was one of the easiest manual transmission I have driven. Did not miss shift or anything. The only time I stalled it was at one of the final lights where we stopped for a few minutes waiting for it to turn green. The clutch catches really early which I wasn’t used to and forgot about it.

The whole thing was 10-15 minutes. We took it around some turns and a quick freeway drive (1 exit). Car looked really good. Interior felt nice. Kef stereo was alright: clear and bright and hence lacked a bit of warmth. Car sounded good from the outside, inside wasn’t as loud as I thought. There was some wind noise. I brought up the window seal thing and the Lotus corporate guy that rode with me haven’t heard about it. I initially liked the sport suspension as it was a nice firm and compliant. Roads were nice. On the way back, however, I felt it being more skittish (same roads). I was told that unless you plan on tracking it a lot, the touring suspension is the way to go.

Talking to the Boardwalk Lotus folks, they’re expecting the base V6 people to order in January with deliveries in late Spring. The real demo cars will arrive in March. That poses a dilemma because most of us would have only driven the sport suspension car and not touring. You can get pushed further down the line if you want to wait to drive the demo with touring suspension first (I’ll most likely do that). Overall, it was a good looking car, easy to drive, nice fit and finish, and drove well. Seats also felt fine to me. There was not a whole lot of character in the car IMO. Acceleration was linear so no low end drama there when taking off. That was the first Lotus I’ve driven and I felt it was okay. It didn’t wow me. I would give it a 7 out of 10 (maybe 7.5). Did get a thumbs up from a guy in a Lexus IS. I wonder if they will make a more hardcore version. For comparison, I drove a 718 GTS few years ago at PEC LA and that thing felt like it was waltzing with me. We were very in sync. Steering felt telepathic. Granted, I was pushing it more on the track. I just remember it to be such a great experience vs the Emira where, while I pushed it a bit around corners and accelerated well on the freeway (not pass 4K RPM), it felt too refined. I suppose that was Lotus’s goal. The Emira lacks a bit of rawness is the best way I could describe it.

Haven’t the vast majority of Emira driving impressions been overwhelming positive? Not just from customers but many journalists and publications as well? The negatives seem to stem mainly from expectations being out of wack with the product as a mid range sports car.
I agree. Definitely more positives than negatives.
As per normal, the negatives have been what has been focused on because everyone can have a say on how it could be improved in that area. When it is good, nothing needs to be said on it.
I think everyone (including journos!) expected more from this car, but in different ways. And probably unreasonably so. I was one of them. I expected more power. I didn't expect the 'new' car to be less powerful with the same engine as the old car. But we live in a different world now, with different regulations, and what we want sometimes can't be done.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back