The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

@TomE - Thanks for Part 1 and Part 2 - very interesting read :)

RE: "On both cars/both materials the seat base was showing some signs of sag in the material after only a few thousand miles." - could this just be that these cars have had a lot of "throughput" with I assume dozens if not hundreds of people sitting in them over the last few weeks/months? Would be interested to hear from those lucky few who have received Emiras as to how the seats are wearing and if it differs depending on whether leather or alcantara.
It may be throughput-related. Each test drive is about 45 mins and B&C are doing 6+ per day for 6 days a week, so that's a lot of people getting in and out for just a 20 mile run. I guess it depends how much of the sag is caused by getting in and out versus just sitting in the car. But certainly 1,000 miles a week and 40 people is not the same as most owner usage.

Feedback from owners will be useful. Most probably haven't so far got up to the 3,000 miles of the B&C car (I believe it's the highest mileage UK dealer car), apart from Harry.

The way I read it, 90% of the experience is pretty impressive considering the added luxuries, and meeting new regulations to sell in all markets.

A remap and a little more noise could easily bring that 90% up to something closer (but short of) 100 and you're left with giving up single-digit amount for double-digit improvements in styling and interior.

I'd like to have the full 100%, but the warranty is also important to me, for now. So if I can eventually get to 96% with some add-ons, I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase.
I agree, 90% or 96% with modifications will be great for a lot of people. The challenge for me and a few others is if you've already experienced 100% and would like that (or the 110% previously hinted at) and are less concerned about the looks, interior, tech etc, then it is a more difficult decision.

Thread moderated and unlocked 👍

Now we are back on track I thought I'd add my test drive experience.
I am the target customer for Lotus - never owned one before & I've never bought a new car before. Previously owned an NSX, 981 Cayman, GR Yaris, amongst others. Have driven just about every Porsche variant, plus many other performance cars. The one I compare everything else to is the NSX, it is simply the best engineered car on the planet - I sold it to fund the Emira purchase so it better be good!

The delays have really knocked my enthusiasm for the car and there have been a few occasions where I've considered cancelling. The last delay (now October!!!) was a real punch in the gut. A testdrive was going to be the decider for me...

My drive was at Silverstone in that very cold spell. The car was filthy so I can't comment on paint finish, panel gaps all looked fine. Even covered in much it still looks gorgeous (isn't that why we all ordered one??). Interior fit and finish was also good but i am more interested in how the car drives. I'd have preferred to try a car on Sport suspension (to find out if I feel it is too stiff), rather than the softer set up of Silverstones car. It felt absolutely spot on, the damping is really well judged and the car doesn't suffer with the jiggly ride many moderns do - well done Lotus!
The seat was on the firm side and I did struggle to get comfortable, but I suffer with all sorts of back problems so this is normal for me. Gear changes were OK, just needed a little bit of thought, didn't have a problem with the shape of the steering wheel.

I'm going i4 so wasn't too concerned about engine performance but I was very, very impressed with the V6. Delivery was linear, very strong across the rev range with bags of torque. It had me wondering if I have chosen wrong...

In short I really liked it and the drive has renewed my enthusiasm for the car. Well done Lotus!

I echo what TomAce has said about the Emira feeling very planted and difficult to unsettle.

I didn't specifically try lifting off mid corner but did try heavy throttle while going round roundabouts and found it very difficult to get the back end to break away. This was in both Tour and Sport drive modes and with both Touring and Sports suspensions. Bear in mind there are only subtle differences in the TC/ESP settings between Tour and Sport modes on the Emira, unlike the Evora. In Tour the ESP retards the throttle if it senses understeer, so in effect you are understeer-limited. In theory per the handbook and specs it doesn't retard as much in Sport, but it seemed virtually identical and this was confirmed by both dealers I tested with.

In the Evora it allows a certain degree of yaw in Sport before the ESP intervenes, so you can get the back to step out more easily. I'm guessing they've dialled this out on the Emira so people unfamiliar with RWD sportscars aren't phased by it or react by suddenly lifting off.

I only had a few minutes in Track mode, which has the ESP further dialled down, and this had a bit more playfulness but still very planted. We've seen a few videos of Gav Kershaw sliding the Emira round Hethel, which I suspect was with Drive mode set to Off rather than Track. Several of the press reviewers commented how tricky it was to get into a showboating slide and I think the press cars had Track and Off disabled.
Thanks TomE. Very helpful clarification. Essentially it sounds to me like dynamically the car is very planted, grippy and mature (if a little unexpressive and staid mid-corner) with exquisite suspension and steering (that, in touring spec certainly, would be fabulously composed, supple, fast and safe over your typical gnarly British B road) with (in V6 form) an engine that produces very linear and probably sufficient power (although not really enough power to test the brilliant chassis) coupled to a gearbox that is precise and satisfying (if a little ponderous).

On account of Bristol devising such a disappointing route, I am hoping to arrange a second test drive. I live in Gloucesteshire but I would be willing to travel. Can anyone recommend a dealer who uses a good route, please?

Thanks

Thanks TomE. Very helpful clarification. Essentially it sounds to me like dynamically the car is very planted, grippy and mature (if a little unexpressive and staid mid-corner) with exquisite suspension and steering (that, in touring spec certainly, would be fabulously composed, supple, fast and safe over your typical gnarly British B road) with (in V6 form) an engine that produces very linear and probably sufficient power (although not really enough power to test the brilliant chassis) coupled to a gearbox that is precise and satisfying (if a little ponderous).

On account of Bristol devising such a disappointing route, I am hoping to arrange a second test drive. I live in Gloucesteshire but I would be willing to travel. Can anyone recommend a dealer who uses a good route, please?

Thanks

Yes, that's it. Lotus often build a chassis that can take more power than the launch spec. The Elise, Exige and Evora all had Lotus power upgrades with little/no chassis changes and the race variants often also used the same chassis as the road car. A few people have done big upgrades with engine transplants and tuning, for example with S1 Exiges running 400-500hp (in a sub 800kg car!) and Evoras running 450-500hp.

Test drive routes question answered here.

Yes, that's it. Lotus often build a chassis that can take more power than the launch spec. The Elise, Exige and Evora all had Lotus power upgrades with little/no chassis changes and the race variants often also used the same chassis as the road car. A few people have done big upgrades with engine transplants and tuning, for example with S1 Exiges running 400-500hp (in a sub 800kg car!) and Evoras running 450-500hp.

Test drive routes question answered here.
Thanks for that TomE

I have just had 24 hours with a Touring suspended car before I had to drop it back at Lotus. In that time I drove about 200 miles around a very wet Forrest of Dean, Cotswolds and Mendips. The car wasn’t run in so I needed to stick to a 4K red line and avoid using full throttle but given the conditions that wasn’t too much of a problem.
I watched Harry’s most recent video last night and I am worried I might sound like I am simply parroting what he said, but the front end grip was something else. I’d be pretty pleased with the bite I was getting on a dry sunny day but the sodden conditions I experienced were far from that. Even when trying to provoke it by aggressively tightening my line through off camber corners with rivers running across them I didn't get the feeling the car was anywhere near washing out on me. I can't believe this is the same setup the press cars had earlier in the year given they felt it had a tendency to understeer when pushed. If anything it felt like the rear end was working much harder despite my adhering to the limitations of the run in period.
Some of the roads I drove down were really poorly maintained but at anything above around town speeds the car just glides down them. The composure even when camber, ruts and bumps all seem to be conspiring against you is very confidence inspiring and really shows road biased sports cars don't have to be solidly sprung.
I definitely think some more exhaust noise in the cabin would be beneficial (the rain preventing window down motoring), the seats took a while to get in a position I liked, and there are a number of software related gremlins to be resolved but other than that it I can't really fault it... erm ok maybe I can...
You maybe wondering how I scored an extended 24 hour period with an Emira. Well it is my car and the only reason it is back with the dealer is because I was forced to leave it there yesterday afternoon due to faults... more on that in another thread to avoid polluting this one other than to say that the response from Lotus has been positive and left me wanting to share the joy of driving rather than dwell on the issues.

Last edited:
Tom - Shift this if its in the wrong place - I couldn't find a more suitable slot for it.
Been for a sit in the Seneca Blue Showroom car at JCB666 in Bradford..as we were up there RR shopping nearby. (test drive booked for mid Jan).
Things which stood out. Door closing not like a lotus of the past really impressed. Very good quality inside even my business partner was well impressed. He thought it was as good as the Taycan and considering we just jumped out of 174K SV which was rather smart he was not in the mood to experience anything much less..which it wasnt! I set the wheel where I would have it and could see most of the display overall great no issues.
SEATS!!!! - I am relieved to say they were better than I expected (18 Way alcantara) and I did feel like I was sat in the car not on it which was my overall concern. I get that there wont be as much cornering support as older models but felt ok. Headrest was also just about right. I'm just under 6' and 13 stone ish.
It was parked next to an MC20 so it took the edge off it a bit because I really like those!
Overall very positive. Hope this is of use.

PS The spec sheet sat on the PAX seat listed it at £94k.............

I have just had 24 hours with a car before I had to drop it back at Lotus. In that time I drove about 200 miles around a very wet Forrest of Dean, Cotswolds and Mendips. The car wasn’t run in so I needed to stick to a 4K red line and avoid using full throttle but given the conditions that wasn’t too much of a problem.
I watched Harry’s most recent video last night and I am worried I might sound like I am simply parroting what he said, but the front end grip was something else. I’d be pretty pleased with the bite I was getting on a dry sunny day but the sodden conditions I experienced were far from that. Even when trying to provoke it by aggressively tightening my line through off camber corners with rivers running across them I didn't get the feeling the car was anywhere near washing out on me. I can't believe this is the same setup the press cars had earlier in the year given they felt it had a tendency to understeer when pushed. If anything it felt like the rear end was working much harder despite my adhering to the limitations of the run in period.
Some of the roads I drove down were really poorly maintained but at anything above around town speeds the car just glides down them. The composure even when camber, ruts and bumps all seem to be conspiring against you is very confidence inspiring and really shows road biased sports cars don't have to be solidly sprung.
I definitely think some more exhaust noise in the cabin would be beneficial (the rain preventing window down motoring), the seats took a while to get in a position I liked, and there are a number of software related gremlins to be resolved but other than that it I can't really fault it... erm ok maybe I can...
You maybe wondering how I scored an extended 24 hour period with an Emira. Well it is my car and the only reason it is back with the dealer is because I was forced to leave it there yesterday afternoon due to faults... more on that in another thread to avoid polluting this one other than to say that the response from Lotus has been positive and left me wanting to share the joy of driving rather than dwell on the issues.
Great to read your feedback about the handling in some pretty wet conditions. Interested to know what suspension and tyres you have.

A real shame about the faults but good that Lotus are acting quickly with Christmas shutdowns approaching.

Great to read your feedback about the handling in some pretty wet conditions. Interested to know what suspension and tyres you have.

A real shame about the faults but good that Lotus are acting quickly with Christmas shutdowns approaching.
Sorry I should have stated - it is Touring and the Goodyears which must surely also take some credit here.

Tom - Shift this if its in the wrong place - I couldn't find a more suitable slot for it.
Been for a sit in the Seneca Blue Showroom car at JCB666 in Bradford..as we were up there RR shopping nearby. (test drive booked for mid Jan).
Things which stood out. Door closing not like a lotus of the past really impressed. Very good quality inside even my business partner was well impressed. He thought it was as good as the Taycan and considering we just jumped out of 174K SV which was rather smart he was not in the mood to experience anything much less..which it wasnt! I set the wheel where I would have it and could see most of the display overall great no issues.
SEATS!!!! - I am relieved to say they were better than I expected (18 Way alcantara) and I did feel like I was sat in the car not on it which was my overall concern. I get that there wont be as much cornering support as older models but felt ok. Headrest was also just about right. I'm just under 6' and 13 stone ish.
It was parked next to an MC20 so it took the edge off it a bit because I really like those!
Overall very positive. Hope this is of use.

PS The spec sheet sat on the PAX seat listed it at £94k.............
Useful feedback, even if no test drive :)

That's a customer car they bought to have as a showroom car and are advertising for sale with a mark up.

@TomE - Thanks for Part 1 and Part 2 - very interesting read :)

RE: "On both cars/both materials the seat base was showing some signs of sag in the material after only a few thousand miles." - could this just be that these cars have had a lot of "throughput" with I assume dozens if not hundreds of people sitting in them over the last few weeks/months? Would be interested to hear from those lucky few who have received Emiras as to how the seats are wearing and if it differs depending on whether leather or alcantara.
A quick peak at Harry's showed some "looseness" on the seat bottom. I also saw it on a couple of the demo cars. That's a shame.

For the guys interested in the Supra if you haven't had chance to test drive I can save you travel time if you have an xbox, I drove one on my sons xbox today and can confirm the feedback and feel is exactly the same is irl 😄

Last edited:
after my first underwhelming test drive in the Silverstone ‘touring spec’ car, which left me feeling more ‘out’ than ‘in’ I have now booked another test in 3 wks in my selected “sports spec” as a comparison.

Hoping this may be a bit more dynamic and I think it will push my final decision over the edge on way or another.

Car supposed to be Jan build - not heard anything else officially but I am assuming this will slip by a month or more.

My heart really wants this car but the head says run away.

I'm massively undecided , Heart says yes (those looks) Head says trouble looming (aftercare backup - not big enough of an operation).
I don't need this as a daily car but equally I'm not that rich for an 80k car just to sit on the drive and get driven 30 miles a week. I am going to use it for my, now, daily driving of around 300 miles a week so wanted to see how liveable and quiet it was on the Motorway. My remaining impression seem to think there was a lot of road noise and supercharger whine which may wear me down - irrespective of Harrys 2500 mile drive or Seen Through Glass 1000 miles - can i live with it.

That’s why I’ve asked to go on I4 Q until the dust settles.

Hi.

I am new to the forum and I thought I would post my thoughts on my test drive last week at Lotus in Bristol.

Fortunately, the car was specified mechanically the same as my order, namely: V6 manual with touring suspension.

The test route was not long enough or varied enough for me to comment much about the ride, handling, and steering. However, my gut feeling says that the car will prove to be very good in all of these respects.

Performance: as others have mentioned it is not dramatic and perhaps it is not quite as good as the power to weight would suggest it should be. That said the engine was very new and I suspect it will loosen up and perform better over time. In any event, it would not be a deal breaker for me because, on the twisties, I am sure it would prove to be more than enough. Moreover, you would be using more of the power more of the time (compared to something with genuine high performance) and that brings its own satisfaction and reward. The engine developed very linear power with a nice (albeit not exceptional) V6 engine note enhanced by supercharger whine for added interest.

Great exterior styling (although no better in the flesh than in photos in my opinion).

Really attractive and well-made interior (even better than I was expecting). The test car had a red leather interior which complimented the Nimbus grey paintwork and red brake calipers nicely. The steering wheel was in leather and I thought it was great. The driving position was good and the seats were comfortable although I did find the headrest (which seemed to be semi-spherical and bulbous) to be oddly uncomfortable compared to the flatter items that I am used to.

The gear change seemed precise and nice to use but slow - just as reported.

As others have mentioned I found the brakes a bit grabby and as such, they didn’t provide an ideal platform for heal and toe-down change. That said the salesman suggested this would improve when the brakes bedded in and, in any case, I am sure I would get used to them.

Overall It came across as a friendly, warm, characterful, and unintimidating sort of sports car. I felt good being in it and it put a smile on my face (for whatever it may be worth a very comparable product from Germany I tested recently as a benchmark failed to achieve this). I hope and suspect that it will prove to have a very well-judged blend of performance, ride, and handling that will be ideally suited to our less than perfect British roads.
Notes on second test drive at Bell and Colvill, Surrey

Following my first test drive at Bristol (which I didn’t find all that informative because of their choice of test route – see write-up above) at TomE’s suggestion I recently took a second test drive at Bell and Colvill in Surrey.

The Surrey car was very similar in spec to the Bristol car, namely: manual ‘box, touring suspension, Goodyear tyres, Nimbus grey paint with red leather interior, and leather steering wheel. This matches the mechanical spec of the car I have on order.

The interior felt immediately comfortable, inviting, and high quality with no obvious signs of wear and tear (despite being subjected to up to 6 test drives per day and over 3000 miles under its belt).

Steering feel: excellent.

Gear change and brakes: Clutch engagement easy, gear change lovely and precise (but a little ponderous - as also noted on the Bristol test). Brakes were just as strong but grabby in the well-used Surrey car as they were in the (then) very new Bristol car. Sadly the grabby brakes made heel and toe difficult during both test drives but I am sure I would get used to them over time. No problems for me with the shape, size, or positioning of any of the major controls.

Mid-corner handling: it was a wet day and the route included narrow country lanes with traffic on and so the opportunity to properly get a feel for handling did not really present itself. Nonetheless, I noticed the car did tuck in mid-corner in response to lifting off the throttle - but only slightly. When I applied the throttle mid-corner I noticed a small amount of understeer (but bear in mind the conditions were wet). So, from what I can tell, the car doesn’t seem to be set up to reward mid-corner frolics. Instead, I think it is set up to be relatively easy and safe to drive fast.

Bumpy road ride. Again the wet weather conditions along with a lack of familiarity (of the car and the area) conspired against properly testing this. Nonetheless, the route definitely included some gnarly roads and the car rode reasonably well at modest speeds over the bumps. However, at higher speeds, the damping seemed to come into its own and I believe I experienced the car almost floating over the bumps which was amazing and just what I was hoping for from the touring suspension setup.

Power. I took it to the rev limiter in 3rd gear and the power delivery felt exactly the same as the Bristol car. I was hoping to find that the Surrey car (with over 3000 miles on it) would feel stronger compared to the almost box-fresh example at Bristol. But it didn’t seem to. Not that it matters much to me. To me, the car feels fast enough for spirited road use as it is. I enjoyed the sound of the Surrey car engine more than I remember enjoying the Bristol car engine (and maybe that is to do with the Surrey car having more miles on its clock but equally it could just be my memory playing tricks).

Character and feel-good factor. Both Surrey and Bristol cars put a smile on my face and made me feel good. This is doubtless to do with the looks and the quality of the interior but I think it might also have something to do with the car being handmade – it has a certain specialness and charm that other ostensibly similar cars just don’t seem to quite have.

Should I proceed with a purchase (and despite the positivity of this review this is not quite a given), I might be tempted to take my car to somewhere like Litchfield to get them to make the mid-corner handling a little less prescriptive, attend to the grabby brakes and, if they can, make the engine a little more effervescent. But even as it is I continue to think it is a lovely, lovely thing. Overall I would give it 8/10 with the potential to be 9 or even 10/10 with some relatively minor tweaks.

My thanks go to Antonia and the staff at Bell and Colvill for all their help and advice.

Great to hear you got a second drive at B&C and were well looked after. Interesting to read your comparisons on some aspects that have bedded in now theirs is over 3000 miles.

Interested to hear how much louder the cars sound after having clocked about 2,500 to 3,000 miles. A comment on Facebook from someone who just collected their car yesterday was told the car it will get a bit louder when it’s been well run in

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back