• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Theory 1 Thoughts?

Well, I was surprised by the reveal on 9.16.24 of the Theory 1 by Lotus.

Obviously a concept car. Thoughts?

Who really thinks this will become a production car? Since they started the name with a “T” in theory, doubt it gets produced as all cars historically start with an “E”. Maybe they will change it to “Eory” 🤣

@Lotustoronto interesting that you mention the Neo EP9. That car actually looks good. You can also see some borrowed elements like the rear active full length spoiler, steering yoke and overall seat approach, etc.
Yes, Ben Payne certainly "borrowed" some inspiration from his other iterations of EV design.

I agree with some of your points, but this statement is wrong.

Emira has been more successful than Lotus ever dreamed. They were taken completely by surprise by the level of demand it generated. Remember, Lotus only sold just over 6,000 Evoras across 14 variants and 11 years of production. Emira will have beaten that by the end of this year (effectively the second year of deliveries)
Then why are there hundreds of unsold cars sitting around and an oversupply issue ? Many of those initial orders were cancelled due to the customer service...

btw - I love my Emira and want Lotus to succeed, they just seem to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory

Again I think its a bit copium to believe they can produce this world beating halo car and sell it for 200k or less. Even if they could (which. Again, I don't think you can't hit the performance numbers they are talking about at sub 1 million costs) why would they? If their competition is selling an equivalent car at 500k.. why would they sell at 200? Even if they can achieve what they want, they would be shooting themselves in the foot to sell so cheap.

Also copium that current 20 y/os will want an EV sports car. They don't. You basically have 2 camps.

The "Pro EV" camp is not that different from the current EV camp, where the car is just an expensive appliance. None of them would think about features in a car any different than a refrigerator or dishwasher.

The other camp, those into cars. Basically have 2 sub groups. The sort of car hooliganism which goes viral, from take-overs to Whistlen Diesel car destruction, and just mayhem. Where the only important thing about the car is that it has the necessary cachet and can chew tires. OR the other sub-group is the ones who are told they need to long for the cars they never got to experience that automotive journalists and their forebearers tell them are great cars.

Neither camp of 20 y/o's transitioning to 30 y/o's can afford a 200k dollar car, EV or not.

Based on what I see at work, most in their 20's are effectively car blind. My Emira parked at work gets gawks and goggles like it must cost as much as a house these 'kids' also can't afford.

Again I think its a bit copium to believe they can produce this world beating halo car and sell it for 200k or less. Even if they could (which. Again, I don't think you can't hit the performance numbers they are talking about at sub 1 million costs) why would they? If their competition is selling an equivalent car at 500k.. why would they sell at 200? Even if they can achieve what they want, they would be shooting themselves in the foot to sell so cheap.

Also copium that current 20 y/os will want an EV sports car. They don't. You basically have 2 camps.

The "Pro EV" camp is not that different from the current EV camp, where the car is just an expensive appliance. None of them would think about features in a car any different than a refrigerator or dishwasher.

The other camp, those into cars. Basically have 2 sub groups. The sort of car hooliganism which goes viral, from take-overs to Whistlen Diesel car destruction, and just mayhem. Where the only important thing about the car is that it has the necessary cachet and can chew tires. OR the other sub-group is the ones who are told they need to long for the cars they never got to experience that automotive journalists and their forebearers tell them are great cars.

Neither camp of 20 y/o's transitioning to 30 y/o's can afford a 200k dollar car, EV or not.

Based on what I see at work, most in their 20's are effectively car blind. My Emira parked at work gets gawks and goggles like it must cost as much as a house these 'kids' also can't afford.
It's not a world beating Halo Car - Those are Evija, Rimac, Pininfarina Battista etc. Right now, there isn't any EV supercar competition. Perhaps the BYD built Yangwang U9 - which costs 230K USD - otherwise we are talking Tesla Model Plaid and Tacan Turbo GT, but those are heavy performance saloons and not supercars.

The 20 year old's you work with probably aren't the target demographic to buy the Lotus Theory 1. There are plenty of kids that are sons and daughters of millionaires around the world that have the money to spend. Lotus may be pivoting, realizing that the sales numbers won't be as high as Emira. Targeting around 1,500-2,500 annual worldwide sales would require a different type of EV Supercar. If that is going to be the case, making type 135 like the Theory 1 makes sense. They clearly spent a fair bit of money developing the theory 1, and I'm sure it wasn't just for fun.

As for price, perhaps 200K is a little off... but I would think they would price it well below the equivalent Mclaren, Ferrari or 911 Turbo S. 350K USD?

They clearly spent a fair bit of money developing the theory 1, and I'm sure it wasn't just for fun.

As for price, perhaps 200K is a little off... but I would think they would price it well below the equivalent Mclaren, Ferrari or 911 Turbo S. 350K USD?
It's just a concept car. It's intended to give clues about the future direction Lotus design might take and to show off emerging tech that might (possibly) make it into a production car. It's also about branding, trying to position Lotus as cutting edge.

Lotus Technology has been transparent with the investment community about their pipeline. The next two vehicles are going to be a Porsche Macan competitor (TYP 134) and an EV sports car priced at or just below Emira (TYP 135).

It's quite possible that they're planning a high end sports car that goes head to head with Porsche GT3 and Ferrari, but that's 5+ years away.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back