• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Tires recommendations

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi! As much as I love and hate my Michelin Cup 2s, I already know these tires are not for me. I'm not going to take my Emira on the track; they are too sticky and kick up rocks like crazy. What are my options? If anyone has changed tires already, please give me your recommendations and post some photos.

Hi! As much as I love and hate my Michelin Cup 2s, I already know these tires are not for me. I'm not going to take my Emira on the track; they are too sticky and kick up rocks like crazy. What are my options? If anyone has changed tires already, please give me your recommendations and post some photos.
The factory Goodyears are pretty good, and Tirerack has them in stock.
Goodyear Eagle.png

Otherwise you could go with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which are a bit more expensive, but an excellent tire. Tirerack has those in stock too.

Michelin PS4S.png

Searching tirerack.com, brings up several more options over and above the Michelin and Goodyear mentioned above. Those Goodyear come with the car when you order the "tour" suspension. For other summer tires, you can get Continental Extreme Contact Sport 02, Bridgestone Pontenza Sport, Yokomama Advan Apex V601, two different Pirelli's and Vredestein (a brand I know nothing about). I'd suggest shopping around and comparing not only prices, but the different mileage warranties the tires come with. You're not tracking the car so the speed rating of the tires likely isn't crucial. You might also ask whether there's any manufacturer rebates available when buying a set of 4 tires.

The folks at tirerack.com are very helpful, when it comes to getting advice, should you want to start there to get better informed and compare what they say to whomever you're dealing with locally.

I'm shopping for a set of all-seasons, due to my climate. I'm getting conflicting information about what will work for the Emira. I see tirerack.com lists Continentals as compatible, whereas one local dealer said Continental made nothing for all-seasons that would work. And some tires (such as the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4) only have rear tires in stock (no fronts).

Finally, I may be selling my "slightly used" (less than 500 miles?) Goodyear summer tires that came with my Emira, to swap them out for all-seasons. I'd only sell them locally, so if anyone in my area (Alberta Canada) is interested, PM me.

Good luck finding tires!

Not sure on what weather you will be driving in but I have switched to only running Conti ECS 2 recently for street and really enjoy them for this weight of car and street only driving. They run a bit less $$$ than other options as well so a bit of a bonus. Ran them on my Evora S and have them on my 911 currently.

I also have a set for my Exige right now as well when I am not at the track and may drive in heavier rain.

Going off of this thread, wanted to ask for a recommendation for the quietest all season tires that people can recommend. I've definitely been recommended the PS4S many times before and will likely go with those in the future, but I haven't experienced them so I can't tell if they're the best when it comes to road noise reduction.

Not sure on what weather you will be driving in but I have switched to only running Conti ECS 2 recently for street and really enjoy them for this weight of car and street only driving. They run a bit less $$$ than other options as well so a bit of a bonus. Ran them on my Evora S and have them on my 911 currently.

I also have a set for my Exige right now as well when I am not at the track and may drive in heavier rain.
I will check the reviews of this tires as well

+1 - Continental tires are a great combination of grip, wet traction, longevity, and are quiet as well. I typically run Continentals on all my cars once the factory tires need replacing.

+1 - Continental tires are a great combination of grip, wet traction, longevity, and are quiet as well. I typically run Continentals on all my cars once the factory tires need replacing.
They are throwing a lot of rocks too ?:D

More than likely I will be going with the Contis on the Emira when the Good Years wear. I chose them over the Michelin 4S on our 911 after really looking at reviews between the two and considering just driving normally almost all the time. I've been super happy with them. Seem quiet too.

The Emira is going to be a year round car for me, so I'm getting either the DWS 06 or Pilot All Season 4s after the stock good years wear out. Both are available in the Emira's OEM size.

The Emira is going to be a year round car for me, so I'm getting either the DWS 06 or Pilot All Season 4s after the stock good years wear out. Both are available in the Emira's OEM size.
I have DWS 06 on an E39 540i6, really happy with how they handle RWD on a torquey V8 with no weight in the back on days where the road is single-digit temps. Really great on ride quality and low-noise too. Although they did hum a bit for the first 400-500 miles from new, but then became silent (car was aligned properly).

DWS 06 is sportier than the Michelin. Both are very dynamically competent A/S tires that should work well on the car.

I have both the Michelin PS A/S 4 and the PS4S (on different sets of wheels)for my BMW 3 series. The A/S can really be hustled quickly on a back road in ways that I didn't expect. It's also one of the best cold weather rain tires I've ever used. Doesn't have the super snappy direction change and road feel of sportier tires though. But in 90% of circumstances it's drama-free and extremely competent even when being driven quickly.

Last edited:
I've had DWS 06 as my all season of choice on at least 6 vehicles. Limit is obviously a little lower than a summer tire, but they still stick regardless of temp and are very predictable if driving hard.

Another vote for Continental ECS 02s. I just got a set mounted on my Evora GT and love them! They are equally as good as PS4S, but typically $200-300 less expensive. They are also about a pound lighter (in my rear tire size anyway) than the PS4S and have stiffer sidewalls, where the PS4S can basically be turned inside out. I haven't done any HPDE days with them yet, but for spirited street driving, they're fantastic!

Another vote for Continental ECS 02s. I just got a set mounted on my Evora GT and love them! They are equally as good as PS4S, but typically $200-300 less expensive. They are also about a pound lighter (in my rear tire size anyway) than the PS4S and have stiffer sidewalls, where the PS4S can basically be turned inside out. I haven't done any HPDE days with them yet, but for spirited street driving, they're fantastic!
I've been curious about these.

DWS 06 is sportier than the Michelin. Both are very dynamically competent A/S tires that should work well on the car.

I have both the Michelin PS A/S 4 and the PS4S (on different sets of wheels)for my BMW 3 series. The A/S can really be hustled quickly on a back road in ways that I didn't expect. It's also one of the best cold weather rain tires I've ever used. Doesn't have the super snappy direction change and road feel of sportier tires though. But in 90% of circumstances it's drama-free and extremely competent even when being driven quickly.

Good to know. I have had multiple sets of the DWS 06 and currently has a set of the newer "Plus" variant on our family sedan. I was curious about getting the PS A/S 4s this time around for the Emira. So you think the DWS 06 retains more of a sporty edge against the Michelin? In what way?

Good to know. I have had multiple sets of the DWS 06 and currently has a set of the newer "Plus" variant on our family sedan. I was curious about getting the PS A/S 4s this time around for the Emira. So you think the DWS 06 retains more of a sporty edge against the Michelin? In what way?
I haven't driven them back to back, so it's total conjecture on my part based on anecdotal feedback from friends who have used the Conti and liked it.

I would try to find a good back-to-back reviewer like the guy from Tyre Reviews. Here's the most recent shootout he did that included the Conti. Unfortunately it didn't include the Michelin.

Here's a similar shootout he did early last year that did include both, and the Conti and Michelin swapped places for 1st back and forth in several of the categories.

As they are sticky that much as cup2s?