• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Top gear top 9 (worst) steering wheels

I almost wonder if that intentionally promotes better grip location, like "10 and 2" or whatever it may be. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reason since they actually took into account the distance of the manual shifter from the steering wheel, being close, which is ideal.
For track driving you should be at '9 and 3'. Same goes for fast roads.

Yes, I saw this in a video somewhere, shortly after I became aware of the Emira - that the gearstick was within a thumb-to-little-finger-span of the steering wheel. It was presented as a big deal.

Funnily enough, my Mk3 Toyota MR2 has the gearshift similarly positioned, as does my Elise. I seem to remember my Porsche 997 and old Subaru Impreza WRX did as well. So not such a big deal.

It's apparent in this picture there's more wheel above the Lotus logo than below it:

1627853040035.jpg

After watching the British GT race yesterday, and seeing the half-wheel being used by the drivers inside the car, I can't help but think the Emira wheel will be beneficial on the track. Less wheel motion and more leverage to turn. With the hydraulic steering, this should really be interesting. Can't wait to get this car.

I rewatched the TG and Catchpole previews and they were all grinning like kids in a candy shop while driving the car. I would imagine if the steering wheel felt awkward somebody would have said something, but they unanimously praised the handling and feel of the touring chassis. We'll see what the in-depth reviews are like, but so far so good.

Man I have never seen such a fan boy in my life. Ooooops my bad should I put this comment in your other negative thread. I’m actually blocking your content as it’s so biased and self absorbed. Lotus said your pay check is on the way this week. Goodbye 👋🏽
Thank you. I'm SO glad you blocked me, that's really like, you know...um...devastating, yeah that's it. When you log out and come back on without logging in, so you can see how devastated I am, enjoy your own biased and self-absorbed importance. The nice thing about you announcing you blocked me is you can't reply to this lol.

Enjoy!

Because behind it is the mount to the steering column? Is this a trick question?
I guess I'm saying that behind the badge is the airbag, and behind that, somewhere, is the mount to the steering column. I could imagine an offset between the mount and the center of the logo, though I don't know if that's the case. (we couldn't turn the wheel when I got a chance to sit in the demo car) Most likely you're right though that the logo aligns with the rotation axis.
1650470156606.png

I guess I'm saying that behind the badge is the airbag, and behind that, somewhere, is the mount to the steering column. I could imagine an offset between the mount and the center of the logo, though I don't know if that's the case. (we couldn't turn the wheel when I got a chance to sit in the demo car) Most likely you're right though that the logo aligns with the rotation axis.
View attachment 4655
After looking at the video a few times I suspect it's somewhere in between. Not centered in the wheel, but also not exactly behind the center of the logo badge. Closer to the badge than to your drawing, though. Definitely offset by some amount, which is significant and unusual compared to 99% of cars on the road.

Now, will it be a real problem experientially, particularly if the steering ratio is narrow/quick? Not sure. I'll need to drive it for a while to find out. If the rack is fast enough to avoid much hand-over-hand except in extreme turns (switchbacks) then it might be a reasonable trade-off. Still not how I would have approached it. Of course, it's easy for us to throw stones since we weren't there to know the hard problems they were trying to solve. I'm sure it was a battle.

Thank you. I'm SO glad you blocked me, that's really like, you know...um...devastating, yeah that's it. When you log out and come back on without logging in, so you can see how devastated I am, enjoy your own biased and self-absorbed importance. The nice thing about you announcing you blocked me is you can't reply to this lol.

Enjoy!

Good for you. EM33RA made the same dramatic announcement letting me know they (he/she) also blocked me also. (OMG, I cried for weeks.)

It would be great if EM33RA just blocks EVERYONE, and then they would be so happy that no one offends or has an opposing opinion or point of view.

that way EM33RA can be their own "self fanboy"

Good for you. EM33RA made the same dramatic announcement letting me know they (he/she) also blocked me also. (OMG, I cried for weeks.)

It would be great if EM33RA just blocks EVERYONE, and then they would be so happy that no one offends or has an opposing opinion or point of view.

that way EM33RA can be their own "self fanboy"
Well believe it or not, I bear him no ill will. I hope he comes around to reconsidering and chooses to be more reasonable. He actually was with me at one point, so I know he can be that way if he chooses to be. Same with you. You were (on another forum) someone that I almost blocked because of the way you came into conversations, but you've changed and made an adjustment for the better. It's not easy to do, because it's not comfortable at all. But you chose to do it, and I believe are having a better time on this forum than you were on the other one. There are genuine benefits to choosing to improve social skills. It may be uncomfortable to do so at the moment, but once you get past that, the benefits are immediate and will last the rest of your life.

There was some advice that was given about 2,000 years ago, that was the single best piece of advice ever given to the human race. It was: "In everything, do towards others as you would have them do towards you." If everyone would follow that, it would literally solve virtually all the world's problems. It will never happen, but it's worth aspiring to. I always keep that in mind, and when I fall short (and I do), I realign myself to that ideal and carry on, training myself to learn to recognize the fail point where I can still choose the better path before reacting.

Life is a work in progress. At 70 I've learned that in reality, it's all just a stream of moments... then they're gone. I just lost another friend; she was only 67. I think back on all the years, the laughter, the worries, the struggles, and I think; what if I try and make every moment as good as I can? Keeping in mind that great piece of advice, which would mean making it good for others, not just for myself. What would that do? I'm still learning. Ironically though, you start to realize the more you learn, the less you know. As my years wind down, I'm training myself to recognize and appreciate the value of moments, before I reach my last one. I think that's inherently why I try and counter-balance negativity, because once these moments are gone, there's no going back. There's no redo in life.

Even though everything isn't perfect or ideal with Lotus right now, still... we're involved with getting an Emira, something VERY few people will be able to have or get. My desire is for that experience to be as positive as possible for everyone, including the people at Lotus. I would like to believe that everyone else feels that way too.

Well believe it or not, I bear him no ill will. I hope he comes around to reconsidering and chooses to be more reasonable. He actually was with me at one point, so I know he can be that way if he chooses to be. Same with you. You were (on another forum) someone that I almost blocked because of the way you came into conversations, but you've changed and made an adjustment for the better. It's not easy to do, because it's not comfortable at all. But you chose to do it, and I believe are having a better time on this forum than you were on the other one. There are genuine benefits to choosing to improve social skills. It may be uncomfortable to do so at the moment, but once you get past that, the benefits are immediate and will last the rest of your life.

There was some advice that was given about 2,000 years ago, that was the single best piece of advice ever given to the human race. It was: "In everything, do towards others as you would have them do towards you." If everyone would follow that, it would literally solve virtually all the world's problems. It will never happen, but it's worth aspiring to. I always keep that in mind, and when I fall short (and I do), I realign myself to that ideal and carry on, training myself to learn to recognize the fail point where I can still choose the better path before reacting.

Life is a work in progress. At 70 I've learned that in reality, it's all just a stream of moments... then they're gone. I just lost another friend; she was only 67. I think back on all the years, the laughter, the worries, the struggles, and I think; what if I try and make every moment as good as I can? Keeping in mind that great piece of advice, which would mean making it good for others, not just for myself. What would that do? I'm still learning. Ironically though, you start to realize the more you learn, the less you know. As my years wind down, I'm training myself to recognize and appreciate the value of moments, before I reach my last one. I think that's inherently why I try and counter-balance negativity, because once these moments are gone, there's no going back. There's no redo in life.

Even though everything isn't perfect or ideal with Lotus right now, still... we're involved with getting an Emira, something VERY few people will be able to have or get. My desire is for that experience to be as positive as possible for everyone, including the people at Lotus. I would like to believe that everyone else feels that way too.
Your post has made me reflect on my mortality and the life choices that led me to where I am, and it makes me slightly uncomfortable... BLOCKED!! 😏

(it is probably apparent by now that I am a sad imitation of a man who hides behind humour at every opportunity... but I'm still just jazzed to be hanging out here with everybody, shooting the breeze while we're waiting for our cars)

PS: I'd really love a wider range of reaction options... I'm a complex being, and want to express things in emoji form on peoples' posts beyond "i completely agree with this" and "grrr, you are a fool"

Truth be told, the other forum that you speak of is TOXIC. This forum is so nice and respectful, even with opposing and at times critical opinions.

The best way to identify a TOXIC forum is when any member posts a critical point,.... and the standard reply is .......

"you are just bitter because you can NOT AFFORD to buy this vehicle so this is why you are posting criticisms "

BANG ...... the TOXIC forum litmus test.

I just don't get the "block" feature. If you don't care for the opinion or poster just IGNORE them.

People who actively block others always make sure to announce it to the person they are blocking..... hilarious and childish.

Imagine how weak a person must be mentally that viewing opposing opinions makes them want block you so that they are not triggered or upset by your postings.

#BlockingfortheWEAK

I just don't get the "block" feature. If you don't care for the opinion or poster just IGNORE them.

People who actively block others always make sure to announce it to the person they are blocking..... hilarious and childish.

Imagine how weak a person must be mentally that viewing opposing opinions makes them want block you so that they are not triggered or upset by your postings.

#BlockingfortheWEAK
If they're announcing it, then that's a statement of them wanting it to be personal. They don't like you and want you and everyone else to know it. The intent is to harm. Social and reputation damage seem to be the main weapons of choice for online if you either don't like somebody, or just want attention. If someone just blocks you without saying anything, it's because they don't like what you're posting and don't want the distraction of having to see it. If you post a lot and frequently the way I do, that can be something that some people just don't want to see, so they block me. I'm okay with that, and I understand. To them it's the equivalent of noise, and you want to block it out so you can concentrate on something else. Noise is something you see no value in. Some people see my posts in that way, and I understand. That's life.

In an actual physical social environment, you'll always see people grouping up in small clumps with those they want to be with. The dynamic is different and easier to see. If somebody is talking a lot in another group, they're not likely to go over there and try and have a different conversation than the person talking. Online is very different.

Online social chat rooms have a strange social dynamic like nothing else I've ever seen. You don't get any of the visual feedback you normally get in real life that help you adjust to the people you're with. It requires a new and different type of social skill, in which you get little to no feedback unless somebody makes a comment. All those unspoken cues that help you adjust are missing, so you have to compensate with text communication. At least that's how I'm making my way through this learning experience.