• The July 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 July 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

V6 Particulate filter

HI Guys

I saw on another thread the question on whether the car would be fitted with one was asked, I have received the below email reply from Lotus:

"There is NO Petrol Particulate Filter on the V6 engine, it has three Cats though now, same as the US spec. The I4 AMG engine DOES have a PPF plus catalytic convertor."

Some good news there, not sure how 3 cats will affect exhaust sound, how many were on previous Evora models ?

Happy New Year

Chris

HI Guys

I saw on another thread the question on whether the car would be fitted with one was asked, I have received the below email reply from Lotus:

"There is NO Petrol Particulate Filter on the V6 engine, it has three Cats though now, same as the US spec. The I4 AMG engine DOES have a PPF plus catalytic convertor."

Some good news there, not sure how 3 cats will affect exhaust sound, how many were on previous Evora models ?

Happy New Year

Chris
The Evora 400 had 3 cats. I deleted all of them and it was so freaking loud. It was unbearable at full open throttle and I ended changing back to standard as a result. Ps 2 on the exhaust and one on the headers.

Mid-engine = insane exhaust if there is no flow restriction or effective muffling.

HI Guys

Happy New Year

Chris
Excellent news to start the year, thanks! It is going to sound great.

Good to have a definitive answer. I'd been told that verbally and was waiting for written confirmation.

My Evora had three and the third (rearmost) one was only needed to meet US emissions. I replaced it with a straight pipe. That made my Series 1 sound similar to the 400.

The grey dynamic prototype run at Goodwood, Laguna Seca and US roadshows is basically that setup so production cars should sound very similar when in Sport mode. In Drive mode the exhaust valve will mute the sound until you get to higher revs.

I'm assuming third cat removal will be feasible in the UK and still meet emissions but may then make it too loud if you're planning to track it.

Good to have a definitive answer. I'd been told that verbally and was waiting for written confirmation.

My Evora had three and the third (rearmost) one was only needed to meet US emissions. I replaced it with a straight pipe. That made my Series 1 sound similar to the 400.

The grey dynamic prototype run at Goodwood, Laguna Seca and US roadshows is basically that setup so production cars should sound very similar when in Sport mode. In Drive mode the exhaust valve will mute the sound until you get to higher revs.

I'm assuming third cat removal will be feasible in the UK and still meet emissions but may then make it too loud if you're planning to track it.
Tom, If it comes out genuinely sounding like the grey promo car, that would be great

At Goodwood Lotus were saying the V6 running up the hill wasn't a production setup. That was because they hadn't finalised the PPF issue and the Tour/Sport drive mode parameters. Mainly because they needed to sort out meeting emissions and noise regulations worldwide and hadn't finished testing. So when anyone asked they were saying it would be quieter at lower revs.

Thankfully it appears they've got round it with the 3 cats and the car defaulting to start in Tour mode with the exhaust valve active at lower revs. I know some people will be annoyed they have to switch to Sport and can't change the default, but this is one reason why. It's the same in the Evora and it's an easy habit to pick up to press Sport just after you turn on the ignition. The more muted sound will soon remind you if you don't!

At Goodwood Lotus were saying the V6 running up the hill wasn't a production setup. That was because they hadn't finalised the PPF issue and the Tour/Sport drive mode parameters. Mainly because they needed to sort out meeting emissions and noise regulations worldwide and hadn't finished testing. So when anyone asked they were saying it would be quieter at lower revs.

Thankfully it appears they've got round it with the 3 cats and the car defaulting to start in Tour mode with the exhaust valve active at lower revs. I know some people will be annoyed they have to switch to Sport and can't change the default, but this is one reason why. It's the same in the Evora and it's an easy habit to pick up to press Sport just after you turn on the ignition. The more muted sound will soon remind you if you don't!
Assuming if it's in Sport Tom for the louder exhaust, then that comes with the applicable traction control settings? So you couldn't have loud exhaust and be giving it Billy big bollox on the local wet roundabout without full concentration? 😁

I am sure we can all live with it, If not an aftermarket valve over ride switch will soon be available

Assuming if it's in Sport Tom for the louder exhaust, then that comes with the applicable traction control settings? So you couldn't have loud exhaust and be giving it Billy big bollox on the local wet roundabout without full concentration? 😁
This was my thought too...I'd want the loud exhaust without removing any of the TC!

Yes that's true. My previous post about drive modes covers it. It's not fully off, so you'd get some yaw/slide before the electronics intervenes but that might be too little too late if you're hooning it and also find a diesel spill mid-corner.

I think it's likely someone will work out how to override it so it's loud in Tour too, or of course a non-valved exhaust upgrade.

Doesn't the Evora just have an exhaust button. Won't have that on the Emira?

Some but not all Evoras. From all the interior pics I've seen there's no exhaust button on the Emira.

Those exhaust buttons are not allowed in the EU. I think for cars homologated from 2016 onwards the law says that they are not allowed to open valves manually and that the car is not allowed to get louder with open valves.

Those exhaust buttons are not allowed in the EU. I think for cars homologated from 2016 onwards the law says that they are not allowed to open valves manually and that the car is not allowed to get louder with open valves.

Several current Porsches have a PSE button. How does that squeeze through the EU regs?

991%20981%20718%20pse%20porsche%20sport%20exhaust%20swtich%20button.jpg

Maybe it is ok if it doesn't make the car louder? What I know for sure is that flaps open has to be the same decibel than flaps closed.

Some but not all Evoras. From all the interior pics I've seen there's no exhaust button on the Emira.

The way I understand it is that it is attached to the driving modes, so no manual button. If I remember correctly, the way that the Evora exhaust opened a flap is via vacuum line, rather than electronic controls (e.g. AMG). So it's possible to disconnect the vacuum hose to the control flap, cap the lines suitably, and the valve will be open 100% of the time.