V6 Particulate filter

HI Guys

I saw on another thread the question on whether the car would be fitted with one was asked, I have received the below email reply from Lotus:

"There is NO Petrol Particulate Filter on the V6 engine, it has three Cats though now, same as the US spec. The I4 AMG engine DOES have a PPF plus catalytic convertor."

Some good news there, not sure how 3 cats will affect exhaust sound, how many were on previous Evora models ?

Happy New Year

Chris

The advantage of the Evora is that it only has to meet 2009 regulations...

Maybe it is ok if it doesn't make the car louder? What I know for sure is that flaps open has to be the same decibel than flaps closed.
Well having driven a 911 with the PSE it is most definitely louder with the valves open, but I assume the button gets round the regs by setting a mode rather than being strictly manual.

You can be sure someone will very quickly figure out a way of having the Emira valve open all the time. In the Aston V8 Vantage apparently all you have to do is pull a fuse out. That would be ideal :)

It is definetly not louder if it meets EU regulations (except it was older than 5 years).

Edit: the 991.1 is older than 5 years btw, because the year of homologation counts for regulations

Last edited:
Assuming it has exactly same exhaust as the Evora 400 I had, I can honestly say you didn’t want it any louder. it’s obscenely loud when “on it” and exhaust will be fully open past circa 4k revs, so no way around it.

With same exhaust on my Exige 380 I got pulled by the police who heard me hooning towards them over quarter a mile away. Also got pulled when I exited a junction under hard acceleration, once again for exhaust noise.

You really don’t want anymore attention than the stock exhaust, trust me ;)

Assuming it has exactly same exhaust as the Evora 400 I had, I can honestly say you didn’t want it any louder. it’s obscenely loud when “on it” and exhaust will be fully open past circa 4k revs, so no way around it.

With same exhaust on my Exige 380 I got pulled by the police who heard me hooning towards them over quarter a mile away. Also got pulled when I exited a junction under hard acceleration, once again for exhaust noise.

You really don’t want anymore attention than the stock exhaust, trust me ;)
Ooooo I do hope so! 🙏 🤩

But I can't believe that it will be even close to a Evora 400 due to the fact that it's a world car, which includes the EU. New cars here are completely muffled to death.

But I can't believe that it will be even close to a Evora 400 due to the fact that it's a world car, which includes the EU. New cars here are completely muffled to death.
Bodes well it is all exhaust and 🐈 s though. If it had a PPF then be a lot harder to tweak

HI Guys

I saw on another thread the question on whether the car would be fitted with one was asked, I have received the below email reply from Lotus:

"There is NO Petrol Particulate Filter on the V6 engine, it has three Cats though now, same as the US spec. The I4 AMG engine DOES have a PPF plus catalytic convertor."

Some good news there, not sure how 3 cats will affect exhaust sound, how many were on previous Evora models ?

Happy New Year

Chris
Great news @CDM1855 , but when was this communicated to you, and by whom?

The reason is that I was told the same thing by Lotus Marketing in early November, which was a few days before my viewing - excerpt below:

"There is NO Petrol Particulate Filter on the V6 engine, it has three Catalytic Convertors, and different valving to Evora (which was on or off) – the EPV on this system is variable, specific to throttle input and driving mode on the DPM switch.

The car is quiet when you want it quiet, and will sound assertive when driven enthusiastically or when configured – in mode, to do so.

It’s a totally different system to Evora, designed to appease ALL clients, and importantly legislators with an eye on fuel emissions and noise emissions accordingly!

A decent reference is Harry’s Garage Emira V6 footage – it sounds proper!"

After placing my deposit, when I asked Customer Care to confirm the above, they forwarded the query to Hethel (Engineering/factory). I am still waiting for a reply...

Last edited:
Great news @CDM1855 , but when was this communicated to you, and by whom?

The reason is that I was told the same thing by Lotus Marketing in early November, which was a few days before my viewing - excerpt below:

"There is NO Petrol Particulate Filter on the V6 engine, it has three Catalytic Convertors, and different valving to Evora (which was on or off) – the EPV on this system is variable, specific to throttle input and driving mode on the DPM switch.

The car is quiet when you want it quiet, and will sound assertive when driven enthusiastically or when configured – in mode, to do so.

It’s a totally different system to Evora, designed to appease ALL clients, and importantly legislators with an eye on fuel emissions and noise emissions accordingly!

A decent reference is Harry’s Garage Emira V6 footage – it sounds proper!"

After placing my deposit, when I asked Customer Care to confirm the above, they forwarded the query to Hethel. (Engineering/factory). I am still waiting for a reply...
I was told 2 days ago by Sunny in customer service

I was told 2 days ago by Sunny in customer service
Okay, thanks for that.

It was Alex (from Customer Care) who informed me that he has passed my query to Hethel for clarification - this was on 24th December. Will chase them again, just to be sure...

Alex from Customer Care has just confirmed what was communicated to @CDM1855. I too received the following today - seems like they are working off a script now since the responses are exactly the same: :)

Last edited:
Alex from Customer Care has also just confirmed what was communicated to @CDM1855. I too received the following today - seems like they are working off a script now since the responses are exactly the same: :)

So the I4 will sound pants compared to the V6, more so with the ppf.

Really great news! I hope it will sound as good as in all those videos and will be comparable to the Evora also in terms of noise levels :D I think that's really important and would be another usp for the Emira because all the other cars in that range sound completely muffled nowadays.

The way I understand it is that it is attached to the driving modes, so no manual button. If I remember correctly, the way that the Evora exhaust opened a flap is via vacuum line, rather than electronic controls (e.g. AMG). So it's possible to disconnect the vacuum hose to the control flap, cap the lines suitably, and the valve will be open 100% of the time.
Yep, I disconnected the vacuum switch/relay on my 987 Boxster Spyder which kept the valves closed below c3k revs and therefore passes German drive by noise regs (and others) at the time. This being a 2010 model regs will have changed but for any car with global homologation, the lowest regional denominator impacts the rest of the market model.
My 987 (and I think most Porsche's with PSE) once the valve is disconnected has the valves open constantly, therefore at low revs and low speed it sounds like it should.

If the Emira has the same vacuum switch it would be possible to force any flaps to open constantly, the downside is there is then no 'quiet' mode, given 3 cats Im not sure that will be a major problem. Luckily not being turbo charges with a PPF/GPF then we have hope of decent exhaust noise :)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back