V6 Particulate filter

HI Guys

I saw on another thread the question on whether the car would be fitted with one was asked, I have received the below email reply from Lotus:

"There is NO Petrol Particulate Filter on the V6 engine, it has three Cats though now, same as the US spec. The I4 AMG engine DOES have a PPF plus catalytic convertor."

Some good news there, not sure how 3 cats will affect exhaust sound, how many were on previous Evora models ?

Happy New Year

Chris

This Info makes me happy too :giggle:
There some News from Hethel:
Generally a decent read and Gav's input on why it's not an Evora was interesting. Personally that's not an issue for me (a good looking Evora with a good interior is the Esprit I've always dreamed of.)

But is this one more journalistic (mis)interpretation or something else? We all know the wheels and tires point is nonsense.

Lotus decided not to add adjustable dampers to the Emira in favor of two different specs: Tour and Sport. The latter employs firmer shocks and sway bars, more aggressive seat bolsters, and a different set of wheels and tires.

Watching Harry's video when he queried light weight seats and need for airbags, Russell's response definitely came across as 'there's one set of seats for now Harry, leave it alone!'

Nb. to keep it on thread.. for my sins I am listening to Jeremy Vine this lunchtime, discussing government rolling out more acoustic cameras to prevent exhaust noise. Another reason you need a manual (strategically dips the clutch.)

There are a few inaccuracies in that article, the seat bolster point being one of them. The wheels aren't different, the tyres are only different if you pick them, V6 is available as an auto as well as a manual etc etc.

Who knows. They've been quite vague about downforce numbers but I can understand the Emira has more downforce than expected, due to the front scoops, nose channels and the underbody and side aero treatments. Whether it's more that the Evora GT isn't clear. Figures are often given at different speeds too.

So the I4 will sound pants compared to the V6, more so with the ppf.
I wanted to make a joke that this is approximately the noise the i4 will make - "ppppfffff" - but then i made myself sad (I've chosen the i4) 😢

Generally a decent read and Gav's input on why it's not an Evora was interesting. Personally that's not an issue for me (a good looking Evora with a good interior is the Esprit I've always dreamed of.)

But is this one more journalistic (mis)interpretation or something else? We all know the wheels and tires point is nonsense.

Lotus decided not to add adjustable dampers to the Emira in favor of two different specs: Tour and Sport. The latter employs firmer shocks and sway bars, more aggressive seat bolsters, and a different set of wheels and tires.

Watching Harry's video when he queried light weight seats and need for airbags, Russell's response definitely came across as 'there's one set of seats for now Harry, leave it alone!'

Nb. to keep it on thread.. for my sins I am listening to Jeremy Vine this lunchtime, discussing government rolling out more acoustic cameras to prevent exhaust noise. Another reason you need a manual (strategically dips the clutch.)

I wanted to make a joke that this is approximately the noise the i4 will make - "ppppfffff" - but then i made myself sad (I've chosen the i4) 😢
least the I4 wont be a synthnd noise :)

I've driven loads of turbo 4 pots over the years, none of them sounded genuinely appealing, and I really dislike the ones with fake noise piped into the cabin (go and stand in the corner, Golf R & AMG A45). The one exception was the original Scooby Impreza which sounded great, but of course was rather unique in being a flat 4. The Lotus engineers are going to have their work cut out making the i4 Emira sound good, especially with the PPF, but in the recent Harry's garage vid Dan from Lotus seemed pretty bullish about it.

I've driven loads of turbo 4 pots over the years, none of them sounded genuinely appealing, and I really dislike the ones with fake noise piped into the cabin (go and stand in the corner, Golf R & AMG A45). The one exception was the original Scooby Impreza which sounded great, but of course was rather unique in being a flat 4. The Lotus engineers are going to have their work cut out making the i4 Emira sound good, especially with the PPF, but in the recent Harry's garage vid Dan from Lotus seemed pretty bullish about it.
Dan wouldn't say it sounds rubbish - Wouldn't Mercedes with all their money have made the engine sound the best they could - how will Lotus with a budget of thousands make it sound better? Agree on the Scooby that is such a great sound - didnt have a PPF.

Last edited:
Dan wouldn't way it sounds rubbish - Wouldn't Mercedes with all their money have made the engine sound the best they could - how will Lotus with a budget of thousands make it sound better? Agree on the Scooby that is such a great sound - didnt have a PPF.
I am sure there will be little comparison between the i4 and V6 in regards to sound. No doubt a full exhaust change or taking the filter out may improve things, but it’s never going to sound like a beast

I am sure there will be little comparison between the i4 and V6 in regards to sound. No doubt a full exhaust change or taking the filter out may improve things, but it’s never going to sound like a beast
or meet emissions regs ?

Actually, a lot of that warbly sound that Subaru EJ engines are famous for is down to the uneven lengths of the exhaust manifold runners, not the cylinder arrangement (although admittedly, the reason for the uneven lengths is because of packaging requirements of the flat boxer arrangement).
It is probably a bridge too far to go messing with exhaust runner lengths on the M139 just to get it sounding funkier, as it has likely been refined to within a gnat's whisker of tolerance for keeping the twin-scroll turbo spinning like a champ.

At this stage, I'm just going to carry on deluding myself that Lotus will somehow arrange the pipes and valving in a way that will sound like half a Ferrari 488 Pista... :whistle:

I can dream, can't I? :)

Actually, a lot of that warbly sound that Subaru EJ engines are famous for is down to the uneven lengths of the exhaust manifold runners, not the cylinder arrangement (although admittedly, the reason for the uneven lengths is because of packaging requirements of the flat boxer arrangement).
It is probably a bridge too far to go messing with exhaust runner lengths on the M139 just to get it sounding funkier, as it has likely been refined to within a gnat's whisker of tolerance for keeping the twin-scroll turbo spinning like a champ.

At this stage, I'm just going to carry on deluding myself that Lotus will somehow arrange the pipes and valving in a way that will sound like half a Ferrari 488 Pista... :whistle:

I can dream, can't I? :)
Get an mp3 of the V6 wail and just keep it on loop on the KEF system.. Winner!

I hate to resurrect this old thread, but...

These early communications make it sound like there is no OPF/GPF for the V6, which is great. However, since the Emira’s arrival on the market, Milltek makes a OPF/GPF bypass pipe and at least one forum member has it installed, so the V6 sounds as if it must have the filter after all. This is not great.

Can anyone 100% confirm or refute the existence of the filter on the V6 in addition to the 3rd cat?

And, heaven forbid, if it does have the filter, does the Milltek bypass pipe chuck both the filter and 3rd cat in one go?

There is no OPF or GPF filter.

Milltek should know better, but they have confused everyone by describing their pipe as a “OPF bypass”.

It is very definitely a catalytic converter that gets changed.

Ask me how I know…

IMG_8429.jpeg

There is no OPF or GPF filter.

Milltek should know better, but they have confused everyone by describing their pipe as a “OPF bypass”.

It is very definitely a catalytic converter that gets changed.

Ask me how I know…

View attachment 30730
Did it increase the volume of the exhaust quite a bit?

Did it increase the volume of the exhaust quite a bit?
Well, not “quite a bit”. It’s not night and day different.

Kinda hard to tell without a back to back comparison, especially from inside the car.

seems like a no brainer upgrade. real cheap as far as upgrades go and nice sound improvement

mike at the Dallas dealer made it sound like they could install it before I even get the car

Honestly worth every penny.

I have installed the full milltek set up but still got an unused Komotec bypass pipe. If anyone just want to replace the bypass pipe and keep the stock box, I m happy to pass on my pipe to you at cost / even below cost. I don’t really mind.

Honestly worth every penny.

I have installed the full milltek set up but still got an unused Komotec bypass pipe. If anyone just want to replace the bypass pipe and keep the stock box, I m happy to pass on my pipe to you at cost / even below cost. I don’t really mind.
You mean the 3rd cat delete pipe? Id be interested..

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back