• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

vs Cayman GT4 RS - Competition?

The New Topgear review that went on youtube this morning says this is the best sounding car ever.

Now thats some statement.

Anyway let's not get to excited as non of us including long term Porsche car buyers like me can have one anyway.
If the gent from Topgear says it's "the best sounding car ever", obviously he hasn't driven many great sounding cars in his lifetime, as it's not even close to being best in my opinion.
He's probably one of those Porsche fanboys.
Anyway, I personally think this Ferrari sounds much better, like the old V12 F1 cars, epic.

The thing is, why even bring up any Porsche GT car into the Emira comparison conversation, because we all know they are not at all attainable for us mere mortals, so it's really irreverent in my opinion.

a silly thread but why not? Obviously a GT4RS is going to spank almost any car on winding roads and tracks. it has insane balance and aero and flat-sixes spinup and down with psychotic ease. I cannot imagine how much it is to FIX the GT4-RS lol. Imagine servicing it for any issue? It is a bit experimental in ways, not many made. Some super tech hourly fees on that puppy.

If the gent from Topgear says it's "the best sounding car ever", obviously he hasn't driven many great sounding cars in his lifetime, as it's not even close to being best in my opinion.
Anyway, I personally think this Ferrari sounds much better, like the old V12 F1 cars, epic.
Those are aftermarket parts. He’s talking about cars you can buy from the factory. I think novitec made like 15 cars you could buy from them maybe and that wasn’t available to the public. Of course he’s also going to be talking about cars he’s driven and you can tell by his age that he’s not going to have the same experience as someone like Clarkson. There’s really no reason to get worked up about this. The RS is clearly a fantastic sounding car because every single review since the embargo has been lifted has mentioned just how ridiculously great it sounds

The thing is, why even bring up any Porsche GT car into the Emira comparison conversation, because we all know they are not at all attainable for us mere mortals, so it's really irreverent in my opinion.
I agree. I don’t know why we keep doing this here. The GT4 keeps being compared to the Emira for some reason too, and while they are closer, they still really aren’t close cars, and in my opinion they are not meant to be. The fully loaded FE Emira is cheaper than the base GT4. They both can be great cars and have different purposes. If I was going to go to the track once per year I would get the Emira all day. If I was a track rat and had more money I would get the GT4.

a silly thread but why not? Obviously a GT4RS is going to spank almost any car on winding roads and tracks. it has insane balance and aero and flat-sixes spinup and down with psychotic ease. I cannot imagine how much it is to FIX the GT4-RS lol. Imagine servicing it for any issue? It is a bit experimental in ways, not many made. Some super tech hourly fees on that puppy.
Not as bad as you may think... most of the parts are reused between Porsche's and the high end Caymans just get parts from the 911's. Maintenance wouldn't be much higher than normal Porsche's with the added cost of GT parts.

Additionally, Porsche is a model citizen when it comes to parts availability/support. They even have parts for their classic cars: https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuineparts/originalpartscatalogue/

Maverick, surely that's in the reviewers opinion! I'm sure your opinion has little sway with the reviewer! Just like his with you. I am in smart arse mode.

I actually think there is little relevance when someone says 'this is the best' unless they can name 2nd, 3rd etc.

I assume you have driven the GT4RS and thus have the wisdom it is not the best?

This spec in the Savagegeese review kind of blew my mind. They cranked the spring rates WAY up on the GT4 RS.

1648154372770.png

Conversion says that's 570 lbs/in springs in the front of the GT4 RS compared to 256 lbs/in springs on the standard GT4. The rear spring spec is 140 N/mm (800 lbs/in) on the GT4 RS compared to 80 N/mm (456 lbs/in) on the standard GT4. Huge jump in both cases.

Full video for those interested, it's a great deep dive:

And for those who can't afford a Ferrari 812 + Novitec exhaust.. There's the 2004-2008 Lamborghini Gallardo with a variety of aftermarket exhaust options... A "budget" exotic (not far from the price of an Emira FE).

I don't think they compare tbh.

Hence I just booked both, it was tough to get GT4RS allocation but luckily I did, Emira will be the more usable/daily car for me, while GT4RS will be the ultimate driving experience car for me, so basically track driving.

The reason GT4RS sounds one of best ever is because of that intake design they made, but from outside I don't think it will be much better than Emira, the shorter gearing also is something I have been always asking Porsche to have in GT cars.

Overall excited for both, but I see GT4RS as several steps above Emira (maybe I'm wrong).

I don't think they compare tbh.

Hence I just booked both, it was tough to get GT4RS allocation but luckily I did, Emira will be the more usable/daily car for me, while GT4RS will be the ultimate driving experience car for me, so basically track driving.

The reason GT4RS sounds one of best ever is because of that intake design they made, but from outside I don't think it will be much better than Emira, the shorter gearing also is something I have been always asking Porsche to have in GT cars.

Overall excited for both, but I see GT4RS as several steps above Emira (maybe I'm wrong).
I absolutely concur with all you said. The gt4rs is a technical masterpiece or so called finale for the combustion engine. With all the know how of a global automotive benchmark in my opinion. Congrats 🎉 on both rides by the way…

Agree, The GT4RS truly is a one off masterpiece and I believe it the first RS at Cayman level.

To even be talking about the Emira in this class is testament to Lotus for what it seems they have achieved here.
So why is the Emira causing so much hype......

It looks like a super car (in fact it looks better than the GT4RS)
The Emira is so affordable
The Emira is going to be a proper drivers car
The Emira can also be used as a daily
The Emira list goes on.....

I think if they only build 4,800 cars a year worldwide then this car will unbelievably hold its value.

I actually do not believe the Emira will be notably valuable at any point in time ever. It will just hold value, never go into orbit like a Porsche. When i showed my Porsche 718 Boxster T on order to three girls i take out, they all were like OOoooOO!! I showed them the Emira looking insane and gorgeous, a bit better i feel, and they were like "Oh. I tihnk i have seen those around the city. Hm. Kind of cool."

Lotus is like the Good Value Porsche in people's eyes. I know everyone will attack that, but I would be some serious cash it will just be a petrol-heads novelty like an S2000 Honda. NO one is dying for a ride in your S2000.

I actually do not believe the Emira will be notably valuable at any point in time ever. It will just hold value, never go into orbit like a Porsche. When i showed my Porsche 718 Boxster T on order to three girls i take out, they all were like OOoooOO!! I showed them the Emira looking insane and gorgeous, a bit better i feel, and they were like "Oh. I tihnk i have seen those around the city. Hm. Kind of cool."

Lotus is like the Good Value Porsche in people's eyes. I know everyone will attack that, but I would be some serious cash it will just be a petrol-heads novelty like an S2000 Honda. NO one is dying for a ride in your S2000.
Well the Emira is already up for sale here at £100.000 for an 80K car, to me that notably shows a significant rise in its value. Im only talking about the early cars, but like you say in 2 or 3 years time the will level off but will still hold a fantastic residual.

That's because those girls have no clue what either of those cars are. They just heard "Porsche" in one case and "What was that again? L-something?" in another.

You don't get cars to impress girls, you'll end up impressing more boys ;) You get the car for you.

That's because those girls have no clue what either of those cars are. They just heard "Porsche" in one case and "What was that again? L-something?" in another.

You don't get cars to impress girls, you'll end up impressing more boys ;) You get the car for you.

That is very true, its like women dress for women not men all we care about is cars. lol

I agree I don't think that the Emira will ever hold its value like a limited edition Porsche I just want it to depreciate less than other cars

Im surprised though that they thought the Boxster was prettier, all the girls I've shown the Emira too have said what a stunning car.

Back