• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

What is coming 16.09.24??

Hope I’m wrong but wiling to bet in never materializes in a design form or time frame even close to what is indicated.

On the one hand it makes sense "it all led to this". On the other hand, unless the electric cayman is a blockbuster, my hopes are not high for the type 135.
I'd be surprised if the electric 718 does all that well beyond its early release - it's heavy, has poor range, and not particularly attractive. The Type 135 is actually kind of interesting if they can actually hit the weight targets. Seems like a tall order though.

Oh no. That looks harsh and the new tech sounds ridiculous. Nothing presented in that wired article is about it driving good and its all about flashy stupid electronics and lack of actual seats. Was there no one in the room that raised their hand and brought up the fact that this all sounds ridiculous. None of this will ever actually be produced and instead of giving us a fake future of lightweight great handling EVs they point us toward gimmicky shit with subwoofers vibrating our asses.

Struggling to see what’s analogue about it. Doesn’t give me the warm fuzzy feeling I get looking at an Emira

I think this could mean that Lotus is done with ICE cars? Do we think they will produce any updated version of the Emira?

Struggling to see what’s analogue about it. Doesn’t give me the warm fuzzy feeling I get looking at an Emira
Gaslighting. Say 'analogue' enough and some people will eventually start nodding heads.

Oh no. That looks harsh and the new tech sounds ridiculous. Nothing presented in that wired article is about it driving good and its all about flashy stupid electronics and lack of actual seats. Was there no one in the room that raised their hand and brought up the fact that this all sounds ridiculous. None of this will ever actually be produced and instead of giving us a fake future of lightweight great handling EVs they point us toward gimmicky shit with subwoofers vibrating our asses.
It's a concept car... no different than Porsche Mission X or other EV concepts car companies come up with. Filled with unrealistic, never to make production stuff all over the place. It will dictate the design of type 135, but don't expect all the wild stuff to go into production. I suspect the overall shape (with normal doors), size, weight and carbon tub with a more Evija interior. Expect that will be pretty close to what the type 135 will be. All of the wild "theory's" are just concepts. It's suppose to sound a bit ridiculous.

its just a design language folly filled with stuff to get press attention

Photos for those (like me) who are too lazy to click through to the articles:

1726524912217.png

1726524926485.png

1726524942065.png

1726524956171.png

1726524975232.png

1726524987833.png

I can't stop picturing this from those photos:

Anyone else notice how the doors open? It seems like there's an additional support piece that tracks with the door as it opens.

It's very good, but this was lead by Ben Payne. It looks like his team and Russel's work together in some capacity under Peter Horbury
Peter Horbury died unexpectedly last year while visiting Lotus in China and the corporate types promoted Ben Payne to replace him. Ben headed the Lotus Technology design team (and before that Geely design) so the EV guys are now running the show.

Russell now reports to Ben Payne and his Hethel design studio is being closed. All Lotus design has moved to Ben's EV studio in Coventry, a 3-hour drive from Hethel. Emira was therefore "the last Hethel-designed Lotus".

I suspect the decision to close the Hethel studio means that most of the old Lotus Cars design team has left the business. For example, I know that the lady who designed Emira's interior is now a senior designer for Gordon Murray Automotive.

Last edited:
  • me when Lotus unveiled the Evija: 😍😍😍
  • me when Lotus unveiled the Emira: 😍😍😍
  • me when Lotus unveiled... this thing.....: 🤨🙁😒
Also, I think it says a lot about the company and their future direction that we're reading about this new prototype in Wired, as opposed to a driving magazine...

Anyone else notice how the doors open? It seems like there's an additional support piece that tracks with the door as it opens.
Looks like the fin in front of the open door drives on a track. The downside is this looks like you need to climb in in front of the door and then somehow fall back into your seat, instead of the inconvenience of ducking behind a Koenigsegg door and then sitting normally.

Did they actually build a full-size model of this thing, or are these just renders? The tires don't seem to have any bulge at the bottom which makes me think this is all just 3D wishcasting.

wired article made an interesting point that Lotus has never been about the engine, it was always drivetrain agnostic. I think that’s partially true. However I don’t see a lot of lotus in the new concept. Only the emphasis on lightweight and minimalism. Nothing more about innovation related to driving dynamics. Fancy gizmos and over styling is not true to the lineage. I think this solidifies the departure from the Lotus we all know.

They could have easily shoehorned an electric drivetrain into the emira and slightly sharpened up the design. Give it some fancy torque vectoring, maybe even retain hydraulic steering and you have a car that will obviously outperform the current emira and remain the “bridge” for the brand.

Unless they price this car at $100k I don’t see the relevance, you already have the Evija hypercar. I get the new direction, I just don’t like it

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back