• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

What is coming 16.09.24??

I’ll buy one, just make the price right on it. But I’m also not going to have a mental breakdown if it’s not what Lotus, is or used to be as a car company. If it’s a cool looking car, unique and fun to drive that’s good enough. I don’t need Lotus embedded heritage in every model. But I get it some people do.

I'm baffled by their claim that the design language was inspired by the Esprit. I don't see any Esprit there (other than the after-thought wing tacked on the back)

It's very good, but this was lead by Ben Payne. It looks like his team and Russel's work together in some capacity under Peter Horbury
If that's true then Russell's team did the front and Ben's team did the rest, because the most aesthetically pleasing section with the most derivative DNA from the Evija/Emira is the front "hood" area.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240916_193305_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240916_193305_Chrome.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 46
If that's true then Russell's team did the front and Ben's team did the rest, because the most aesthetically pleasing section with the most derivative DNA from the Evija/Emira is the front "hood" area.
That’s funny because I too thought the front quarter of the car looks ok, the rest not so much

Sorry but the more I look at this this the more I think:
1. It's not a car that will be produced even close to this form, it's a concept (already been stated by many). That alone says I should not give this very much energy (pun intended? Sorry it just came out that way so I'm going with it). But here I go....
2. All I'm getting on the front end is Lamborghini. Or maybe a really pointy Emira. And pointy cars never get built that way for practical reasons.
3. The rest of it, sides and back are.....what?
4. It won't be "affordable" nor an EV variant of the Emira in this present form. I mean how could it be? The doors alone will ensure that.
5. They state that it's never been about the engine, and then they go to great lengths to add subwoofers to pump out artificial sound to compensate, admitting to this weakness at the same time they're saying it doesn't matter.
6. I was an automotive engineer for GM for 10 years and part of what I did was electronics for concept cars. Loved that work, really fun stuff because there were no rules on practicality and if it could even be built in any reasonable volume. Sky's the limit insofar as what our imagination could dream up. Every now and then, rarely, a sliver of what we did made it into production and even then sometimes it was rejected by the public and didn't last. That's really the nature of the concept car game. Throw it out there and see what sticks.
7. As others have mentioned, nearly nothing about driving dynamics, driver engagement, steering, suspension, etc. Just 0-60 electric power and tech. And how they "settled for a more reasonable 987 hp". Sounds very Geely to me and completely focused towards a different audience than I. Maybe they'll be successful, but not with me. Or maybe it'll wind up in a hay bale at Goodwood.
8. Disappointed because I was hoping to see something much more "tangible" , realistic, and near term from Lotus that could actually be a higher volume runner/profit center than anything they're currently producing. Definitely getting concerned about their financial viability, and I feel they need a home run soon.

Its just a concept and I can't imagine many of the wild tech going into the production car type 135... but it's certainly got some very cool stuff going on. Carbon tub, sub 3500 lbs, fast, AWD, and looks like a futuristic Esprit. I like it. They should call it the Esprit EV. I think it pays a good homage to that design from the '70's.
EvSprit, in theory.

To be honest, it looks like a future Acura NSX.
1726524912217.png
2022-acura-nsx-type-s-1-1628792637.jpg
2022-acura-nsx-type-s-4-1628792611.jpg

Last edited:
Well this was a disappointment. It looks like something Ben Payne's team would do, since they did the Eletre and Emeya. What is the point of this? Are they trying to lure in Gordon Murray's T-50 customer base? Considering how much money Lotus has been losing, this was the last thing they needed to do. A million dollar plus concept is completely useless in every possible way right now, especially an electric one. They would have done better by spending that money adding more dealers in the U.S. and making Lotus more accessible to the buying public.

Let Carr's team do the design work. Have them do a really nice looking (not with a bunch of unnecessary gimmicky tech) 4 door sports sedan with a hybrid power train, and get it under $100k. Keep it simple in the tech department, even the Emira borders on too much. I only use maybe 10% of what's in my Emira as far as all that stuff goes. I just love driving it. Same with my Alfa Romeo Giulia. Follow Chapman's philosophy of make it simple and add lightness. If it's beautiful, rides well and is fun to drive, that's what sells, not a bunch of gimmicky trick features that just increase the price and possibility of problems.

This whole thing pains me for so many reasons. Why spend money on this when there's a market for a manual petrol Emira convertible knocking on the door (yes, I know they'll never do one, I'm just disappointed in the direction it's all going). I love my Emira in almost every way, more of that please!

Just wait for all the future comments regarding panel gaps and water ingress... All said, if it looks like this, is fun to drive, and affordable, I can imagine myself placing an order.

1726563961151.jpeg

that y14nny video gives it a bit of realism. So yes, it looks amazing. But I’m equally sure that the cost of this thing will be far far more than I can afford, and doesn’t fit into the lotus of old. Makes me wonder who does their strategy…

that y14nny video gives it a bit of realism. So yes, it looks amazing. But I’m equally sure that the cost of this thing will be far far more than I can afford, and doesn’t fit into the lotus of old. Makes me wonder who does their strategy…
This is not a production car. It's an ambitious concept car intended to show that Lotus is pushing its thinking about the future. We know that the next Lotus sports car will be the TYP 135, and I'm betting it has almost nothing in common with this.

Last edited:
Slightly leftfield but as folk are posting opinions..

I think cars like this are interesting and some details do make it into real cars for real people. For me most supercars are just dick swinging nonsense and difficult to use in 'normal life'. I'm not a hater and did consider a McLaren before the Emira. I could sell all my fleet and get something super exotic but I think i would be bored silly.
My mate had an Exige S1 for years, did shit loads of miles in it and sold it when he retired and bought a McLaren. Saw him not long back lamenting the exige and moaning about virtually everything to do with the Macca where practicality of local road use is concerned. He has recently bought an Elan Plus 2...
I just finished restoring my Elan Sprint. Im running it in now and its an absolute hoot, Not fast, not flash, not expensive to run, no worries about clipping kerbs, thread it through almost any gap etc etc...

It also has the 'complexity' of a Suffolk Punch Lawn mower and I don't need to keep a code reader in the boot.....

Big wide superfast cars are no use where I live. The Emira is borderline for width.

S
elan sprint 2024.jpg

I personally dislike EV sports cars. Loving my Emira. But if the future is Electric, this is a good looking EV sports car. I see Esprit in it, and lambo and NSX. The car you guys want already exists in the Caterham Project V. But don't take away from the design of this concept. It's certainly different and I imagine when the Esprit came out in the '70's, people felt the same way about its futuristic looks vs an Elan. Well done Lotus.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back